Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    If I have software installed on my SD card adn I go a hard reset how do I get everything on my SD card to wrok on my phone again.
    its my understanding that you must reload all those programs.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    You mean reinstall them?
    yes because the other files from the original install are no longer on the treo for use and so the program from the card wont be able to open or run correctly without this info.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Then what is the point of having an SD card? What just to have more space?
    And not to make sure thing won't be deleted if something happens to my Treo?
    get sprite backup bro...its a must for the treo700
    Correct, dimitri. Once you start using a card, you'll need to reinstall programs previously installed to main memory and install new ones to the card. If you've backed up your main memory to that card, you'll aways be able to recover.

A few points that you might find worthwhile:

1. Programs like Today screen plug-ins and task managers need to be in main memory.

2. Some developers design their apps to be in main memory even if they seem like they could work just as well on the card.

3. Everything else can (and should, IMO) be put to the card. Apps with BIG data files like GPS apps, dictionaries and Bibles will go to the card. Media files (movies, mp3, etc.) will go to the card. Backups will go to the card.

4. Backup your card periodically using a card reader. Every month or so, I zip up the entire card (sometimes just volatile directories) and store the zip file on my laptop and/or USB backup drive.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Correct, dimitri.

Programs like Today screen plug-ins and task managers need to be in main memory. Some developers design their apps to be in main memory even if they seem like they could work just as well on the card.

Everything else can (and should, IMO) be put to the card.
    Apps with BIG data files like GPS apps, dictionaries and Bibles will go to the card.
    Media files (movies, mp3, etc.) will go to the card.
    Backups will go to the card.

Backup your card periodically using a card reader. Every month or so, I zip up the entire card (sometimes just volatile directories) and store the zip file on my laptop and/or USB backup drive.
    I understand that but when I need to do a hard reset and I pull my card out before hand, will I have to install all the software that is on the card again in order to get it to work with Treo? That then includes activating software again too.
    No. Just restore from your backup and all of the information will be put in the right place on your device.

(You don't need to pull out your card to do a hard reset. It doesn't hurt anything to pull it out but I never found it necessary.)
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Thanks Beryl