Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Currently we have the Exchange 2000 server. ntaylor here on the forum reccommended this since we only have 6 users:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsser...uy/pricing.mspx

Would that be more expensive or Goodlink?

Which would you reccommend? I can tell you we will not spend more than $500 just so we can have push email on 3 devices...
    GoodLink will cost a minimum $1,999 for the server and 5 licenses. You will need to look at the hard and soft costs for upgrading to 2003. Also, if you are running Palm OS devices, the push in Exchange 2003 won't work.
  3.    #3  
    Obviously i'm using a Treo 700w (or else i wouldnt have posted the question in this forum?).. I'm trying to figure the cost of upgrading to whatever we need in order for me to have push emails on my 700. If its going to cost too much - we wont do it.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Hosted exchange account... about $10/month or cheaper. You can FWD your email to the hosted account and set up the reply to address to be whatever you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    Obviously i'm using a Treo 700w (or else i wouldnt have posted the question in this forum?).. I'm trying to figure the cost of upgrading to whatever we need in order for me to have push emails on my 700. If its going to cost too much - we wont do it.
    Or you might be like our firm...running both Goodlink for our Palm OS users, and Exchange ActiveSync for WM5 users. There are also pros and cons to the user interfaces on each. Goodlink has a pretty slick UI, but if I recall correctly, it doesn't integrate with the regular contact list on the device, so the telephone integration isn't as good.

You need to look at the hardware requirements for Goodlink (requires a separate box, I believe, but maybe can just be a workstation?) and for Small Business Server, then decide whether the hardware running your current Exchange 2000 server can handle Small Business Server. There are downsides to doing an in-place upgrade on Exchange, though I'm not knowledgeable enough to discuss them.
    Can't speak to the cost of upgrading from 2K to 2K3. GoodLink does require a separate box, but minimum specs are Pentium III/800mHz
  7.    #7  
    I have another question: As mentioned, we have our own 2000 exchange server here. Because of compliance reasons - we cannot let another source host everything. We have goldmine and other things on our server that we have to keep in house.

However someone suggested letting our local IT company host our emails only. So we would still keep and use our server for the info - but let them host our emails.. Since they are local that would be the best solution i think.. But they MAY not have 2003 loaded on any of their servers - which means obviously they couldnt do it (Our objective is to use Exchange Activesync). Is there a company out there that someone would highly reccommend? Someone that could host our email only? I dont want to use some unknown chop shop company either..

Any suggestions??
    the cost of good is 1 you need to buy a new server, 2 each client will cost you a monthly fee, I'm not sure what that is plus maintance fee on the good server and suppport cost

as for direct push the cost would be 0 if you upgrade to 2003 with service pack 2

I don't know its a tough call
    Most people who run GoodLink do not go out and buy a new server. They have an older box sitting around that they can use. If they do buy a new box, no more than $200. The monthly cost of each client is dependent upon the carrier. Cingular's monthly GoodLink Data Plan is the same cost as their regular data plan, which you need regardless of email solution. Verizon's, I think, is about $5 or so a month more, but not too sure. Sprint's plan is $39.99 a month and includes unlimited data and phone as modem, which is $40 a month.

Upgrading from 2K to 2K3 is far from $0.
    The other thing to consider is security..... some shops (like mine) do not like the idea of opening an inbound port to our Exchange cluster. We have Goodlink running on a 1Ghz machine, running 15 users quite well...
    Verizon 600, 700w, 700p -> Sprint Centro
    We have several hundred running the good product and are currently exploring WM5 with the push solution.

I believe when it all comes down the good solution offers substantial added value.

Good also offers multiple platform support and thats where we will probably be staying.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    The other thing to consider is security..... some shops (like mine) do not like the idea of opening an inbound port to our Exchange cluster. We have Goodlink running on a 1Ghz machine, running 15 users quite well...
    Wha, wha, what? Your saying Goodlink is more secure... Hmm I have a difference of opinion on that! Don't know if I have the energy tonight to debate it though Goodguy is quite a formidable opponent

Also explore better security models for exchange deployments if you think opening up a port to your exchange cluster is the way to go... look up things like Front End servers utilized with ISA Servers... and consider (must i believe) additional firewalls at your frontnet and backnet gateways....yes things can get kinda complicated but if you are concerned about security there are good proven and documented best practices....just opening up an inbound port (although easy) is not one of them.
    Gex, thanks for the compliment, though I think our security model is better than what is offered by the E2K3 (no inbound firewall port open), the fact that SSL is used helps alleviate that issue. Where we are, again I feel, more secure is that all the GoodLink data is encrypted on the handheld, whereas with WM5, that is not the case. Yes, the connection is encrypted (SSL with WM5, AES-192 with GL), but the data on the handheld with WM5 is not.

You also make a point that helps when I go against WM5: The big 'selling' point is that it is free. You are talking about Front End servers, additional firewalls, etc. Doesn't sound free to me, though I am sure based upon our previous exchanges (no pun intended) you will counter my point very well.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    GoodLink data is encrypted on the handheld, whereas with WM5, that is not the case.
    Didnt know that...
    You also make a point that helps when I go against WM5: The big 'selling' point is that it is free. You are talking about Front End servers, additional firewalls, etc. Doesn't sound free to me, though I am sure based upon our previous exchanges (no pun intended) you will counter my point very well.
    Nope.. i completely agree... Exchange is not cheap, certainly not free, or easy to deploy correctly...but you need it as part of the Good solution...that or Domino right?
    Exchange, yes, Domino, not until the end of the Summer. My point about free and easy to deploy was directed more at the MSFP than Exchange, especially when upgrading from 5.5 or 2K to 2K3.
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    This is a common misconception about Exchange ActiveSync - EAS uses the same connection pathway as does Outlook Web Access (ISA or IIS servers, along with SSL as has been mentioned), so if your organization supports OWA (many/most do; some do not), then you're good to go from a security standpoint.

Bottom line - most organizations upgrade to Exchange 2003 for other reasons (server consolidation, etc), and the goodness of Direct Push Email just kind of comes along for the ride.

If it's just three folks using the 700w, you might consider the department/workgroup option of Verizon's Wireless Sync product. No cost at all for push email/PIM data, and all you have to do is find some workstation behind the firewall to dedicate to the pushing process. The users do NOT have to leave on their PCs - this is not a redirector, really. The one workstation does have to be on and connected, just like any other server solution. The one [possible] gotcha is that Verizon does act as the middleman for the relay process (much like the RIM NOC).

Just another option to consider.....
  17.    #17  
    as for direct push the cost would be 0 if you upgrade to 2003 with service pack 2
    What are you talking about?? I didnt think it was free..?

They have an older box sitting around that they can use. If they do buy a new box, no more than $200. The monthly cost of each client is dependent upon the carrier. Cingular's monthly GoodLink Data Plan is the same cost as their regular data plan, which you need regardless of email solution. Verizon's, I think, is about $5 or so a month more, but not too sure.
    So if we have a 2000 xchange, and we use Verizon - what would it cost to use Good?
    I know you said you won't spend more than $500, but here is the pricing for GoodLink:

$1.999 is the starter pack. It consists of the GoodLink Server, 5 Client Access Licenses and support for 6-months. An additional license is $99. These are all one-time licensing costs. You would contact Verizon and have your data plans switched over to the GoodLink data plan.

More than $500, but you asked.
  19.    #19  
    So then my best bet would probably go with the hosted exchange huh? Such as 4smartphone...

Or what this guy said:
    "If it's just three folks using the 700w, you might consider the department/workgroup option of Verizon's Wireless Sync product. No cost at all for push email/PIM data, and all you have to do is find some workstation behind the firewall to dedicate to the pushing process. The users do NOT have to leave on their PCs - this is not a redirector, really. The one workstation does have to be on and connected, just like any other server solution. The one [possible] gotcha is that Verizon does act as the middleman for the relay process (much like the RIM NOC)."
    I would go with the exchange 2003 and active sync, your going to upgrade sooner than later at some point
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast