1.    #1  
    so this has happened to me a few times now. once when I was updating my weather and a couple times when retriveing emails using treos outlook.....I get a pop up messege like when you geta text messege but the popup window is outlined in red and says "gprs data limit exceeded for the month"...I have the unlimited plan....why is this happening? thanx!
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm going to assume you have PhoneAlarm installed. It is a setting in PhoneAlarm to monitor your data and let you know if you've exceeded your max (for users on MB plans).
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Check the fine print for your carrier's data "Unlimited" price plan. I'm sure you'll find small print somewhere referencing what the carrier deams as excessive data usage. This type of false advertising with misleading information happens far to often with carriers in North America. Unless subscibers take initiative by filing a class action lawsuit or even send complaints to places like http://www.crtc.gc.ca/ the carriers will continue to market this way. Rogers Wireless used to advertise like this until subscribers finally got enraged enough to cause them to change the wording advertised. Now their formally titled "Unlimited Data" plan is listed as "Data 100" covering 100 MB of data usage per billing cycle. Though to clarify at least for Rogers Wireless when they add on bonuses such as their 3 months unlimited web browsing with unlimited email promotion they do mean unlimited, at least while the promotion is on the account. Fido (now owned by Rogers) and Telus also are very specific as to what their data plans include. Though this is unlike Bell Mobility here in Canada where they are less forth coming and to say the least misleading with their advertising. For example they'll list a data plan as "Unlimited" but also have a small clause buried on the website such as "Bell Mobility considers usage in excess of 500 MB of data per month on this plan to be abusive, and reserves the right to charge such excess usage at a rate of $3/MB or otherwise limit such excess usage". While 500 MB is a lot of data what consumers should be aware of is that typically the additional warning can change from time to time based on suiting the carrier's best interests, not always in your best interests. It's sort of like Bell's advertising that they don't charge for 911 or SAF (System Access Fee) even though they raised their price plans just after commenting about those service fees being waived. Makes one wonder if they raised the price plans to hide their fees for 911 and SAF..lol.
    i agree, you have to be careful.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
  5.    #5  
    yes i understand...small print blah blah blah lol.....BUT does this mean ill be charged for more data?.......so fare im at like 100mb this month...i dont get it....
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Are you using PhoneAlarm? That is the only reason I've ever seen that message before, and it has nothing to do with VZW. You won't be charged anything extra for data, and shouldn't worry about it.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    At 100mb you won't be getting charged extra, I currently have my vzw page reporting around 600mb use in the last 2 weeks.
    i have not seen a single post here from a user who was made to pay for excess data on his unlimited plan, let alone a corroborated post
    I believe you're right about PhoneAlarm and happypappy being a user. At least he appears to be one according to his posts.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    GPRS is a GSM data acronym....

For CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) it would be 1xRTT or EVDO for data.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    i have not seen a single post here from a user who was made to pay for excess data on his unlimited plan, let alone a corroborated post
    I have read numerous posts on other forums of Verizon users cut off after using 3+ gigs for a couple of months in a row. I have been more careful with my streaming (I can easily go through a gig a week using ORB or just streaming radio during the work day). Verizon's policy does suck. Unlimited should really mean unlimited. If I was running an entire internet cafe off of PDANet I could see them messing with me but having secret limits is not a good business practice.

Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink57
    I have read numerous posts on other forums of Verizon users cut off after using 3+ gigs for a couple of months in a row. I have been more careful with my streaming (I can easily go through a gig a week using ORB or just streaming radio during the work day). Verizon's policy does suck. Unlimited should really mean unlimited. If I was running an entire internet cafe off of PDANet I could see them messing with me but having secret limits is not a good business practice.

Neil
    It's possible, i have not seen anything like that on this site. I would also be curious whether they were using pdanet.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    It's possible, i have not seen anything like that on this site. I would also be curious whether they were using pdanet.
    I've been using Verizon EVDO for 30 months (I was in their beta program here in DC) 24 months with aircard and 18 months via phone (obviously some overlap). Shrink 57 is correct about the (unwritten and still unconfirmed) 3+ gb limit. I have exceeded 3gb in a month about 9 times in that period. Four times I was cut off from data. All I did was call Customer Support, who put me through to Data Support, who asked me some very pointed questions about my usage ("Did you stream music?, Did you play online games?, etc). I answered each question "correctly" (IAW the TOS) and had my data reconnected immediately.

I was not using PDANet any of those times - this was all pre-Treo 700w and no other EVDO phones used that software.

There - now you've seen something like that on this site.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    So has anyone called Verizon to find out what the actual hidden limit is?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri
    So has anyone called Verizon to find out what the actual hidden limit is?
    yes id like to know also......AND, yes the problem i was having WAS the phonealarm setting.....just unchecked the box and all is well.....duuuhhhh.....thanx
    This should shed some light on the subject....links in 1st and last post
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Well, I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep and was told that there is no limit to the amount of data as long as all data is being used by the Treo and not somewhere else (i.e. a laptop). He said that is in the small print of the contract. But he was trying to side step the fact that your service could be disconnected at their discretion.