1.    #1  
    My company has Exchange 2000 and is not going to upgrade to 2003. With that being said, what are my options to enable my 700w to get push or "push like" email? Right now, i am stuck having my comapny email forwarded to my personal POP3 account so that i can view it. I would hate to have to switch to a Blackberry because of this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by akramer84
    My company has Exchange 2000 and is not going to upgrade to 2003. With that being said, what are my options to enable my 700w to get push or "push like" email? Right now, i am stuck having my comapny email forwarded to my personal POP3 account so that i can view it. I would hate to have to switch to a Blackberry because of this problem.
    You only option, without having them purchase Goodlink, is to use the AUTD feature. Basically what happens is the Exchange server sends an SMS message to your phone telling it to synch. It works pretty good but make sure you get the 2000 PDA text messages...
    if you have a lot of emails...make sure you have a good amount of txt msgs allocated for things like that.

VZW has a 2000 txt allowance that's free of charge for our pda's you just have to email the data team about it and they'll change it.

here's a screen shot of my acct for reference

www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    The problem he has is that Exchange 2000 isn't able to sync with Windows Mobile devices. Only 2003 can, and only 2003 with SP2 will be able to do the push email. I think the only real options would be third-party software, such as Goodlink or the new free emoze, or Wireless Sync.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    The problem he has is that Exchange 2000 isn't able to sync with Windows Mobile devices. Only 2003 can, and only 2003 with SP2 will be able to do the push email. I think the only real options would be third-party software, such as Goodlink or the new free emoze, or Wireless Sync.
    ohh you know what, you are right! I completely forgot that it was Exchange 2003 that brought the synching. Before that you had to have a 2nd server called, Mobile INformation services or somethign like that.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    Would Goodlink require anything on the server end or is aimed at the end user, my 700w? Would Goodlink also work in conjunction with the 2000 txt messages?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    You only option, without having them purchase Goodlink, is to use the AUTD feature. Basically what happens is the Exchange server sends an SMS message to your phone telling it to synch. It works pretty good but make sure you get the 2000 PDA text messages...
    So to engage this "AUTD" feature, what would have to be done to our exchange 2000 server?
    Quote Originally Posted by akramer84
    So to engage this "AUTD" feature, what would have to be done to our exchange 2000 server?
    You can't, the AUTD and other "synching" features weren't added into Exchange until Exchange 2003. For Exchange 200 server, you had to have an additional server called the Mobile Information Server which sat between your Exchange 2000 server and your mobile device (ala Blackberry Enterprise Server). The MIS server is no longer available for purchase and was discontuned several years ago.

I am by no means a Goodlink expert, but I do believe to give you OTA Sync you need to have a Goodlink server sitting between the Exchange server and the device, just like BES and MIS.

I believe your only option is to have the Exchange server upgraded to 2003 or Exchange 12 (when it ships).
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    sign up with a hosted exchange provider and fwd your mail to them.. set your return address as your work email.. no one will know.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    sign up with a hosted exchange provider and fwd your mail to them.. set your return address as your work email.. no one will know.
    Can you suggest a couple hosted eschange servers to look into? Thanks
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    mailstreet.com is the biggest but most expensive.
    mail2web.com has the free (ad supportd) service but charges for additional features..there performance is suspect.
    4smartphone.com seems to have the best customer experiances from what i've noticed.

xmail4.com is not up and running yet but will soon be accepting users in a closed beta program.
    The Message Center is another one you may want to look at.
  13.    #13  
    do you know if you can do this with the "mail2web" hosting service. Also, what is the text messgae address that verizon uses. Is it xxxxxxxxxx@vzw.com? or phonenumber@vzw.net? Not sure if this makes sense to you. Thanks for whatever help you can give me.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Mail2web's free ad supported service dosnt let you set a return email address... in other words you are forced to use @mail2web.com as your email address.

I forget the text msg email address but i think its phonenumber@vtext.com.
  16.    #16  
    Mail2web's free ad supported service dosnt let you set a return email address... in other words you are forced to use @mail2web.com as your email address.

I set up an account for testing purposes on mail2web.com, but for some reason even after setting up the text message address, there is no automatic sync going on when new mail arrives in my mail2web.com inbox? Would this be an issue with my phone or with mail2web.com's exchange server settings?
  17.    #17  

I was told by mail2web.com that even with their pay service any email responded to using your synced device (700w) will display a @mail2web.com email address? Is this conflict applicable to all hosted exchange providers or is this an isolated problem?
  18.    #18  
    I have done some research on the web and it seems that in order to set a permanent reply to address that "masks" or replaces the e mail address that I dont want to be shown, you have to change the SMTP address. Is this really possible to change using exchange hosting by the companies listed in Gex's earlier post?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    yes.. it is possible with exchange... dont know why they dont let you do it...
  20.    #20  
    Thank you Gex. I just signed up with 4smartphone.net for $50 for a year. They are able to do everything that i have been asking about. Thanks for the advice!