Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Did anyone switch from a Blackberry to the 700w? How would you compare the two for a person who only uses pop3 email accts, text messaging, AIM, and web browsing?

and...any idea if RIM will release a CDMA 8700?
    personally the jog dial on the BB is old tech compared the touch screen on a lot of these WM5 PPC. the form factor on the BB is much to be desired in my opinion.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    my spouse has the 7100 series and a couple of colleagues own the 8700 series at work. the blackberry browsers are much improved (only on the 8700) but still not on par with that of the T700. as for text messaging, not sure if the blackberry offers threaded, even if not, i'd call it a toss-up. the text applications are very easy to access on either platform. the blackberries are less flexible, you can do a bit more with a Treo. if you want simple, get the blackberry. if you want a little more out of your phone/pda, get the Treo.
    On my two BB devices, one monochrome and one color, I found AIM and web browsing to be frustrating at best. Between the limited capability of the jog dial and substandard transfer speeds, anything other than e-mail was a pain.

The 700 has EVDO and a touchscreen, and I'm happy as a clam. A clam that has to soft reset once a week, but happy nonetheless.
    what i miss from my BB:

-Push Email
    -Ability to Delete a Message from Device Only (or both the device and server)
    -Threaded SMS Views

what i don't miss from my BB:

-Getting Calculator Face
    -Using the Thumbwheel (that hurt my hands after a while)
    -Lousy Call Quality
    oh...i also miss being able to have different sound profiles
    What is a "sound profile?" Is that like what PhoneAlarm does for you with its profiles?
    i believe so...i haven't played with PhoneAlarm to be sure though. the sound profiles on the BB allow you to customize the way the phone ring. for example, i really liked being able to quickly switch to a profile that only notified me on text messages and phone calls...to do that on the 700w you would have to go into the sounds and disable audible notifications for emails...profiles just made it easier to switch.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinmg
    what i miss from my BB:

-Push Email
    -Threaded SMS Views

what i don't miss from my BB:

-Getting Calculator Face
    -Using the Thumbwheel (that hurt my hands after a while)
    -Lousy Call Quality
    What is Calculator Face?
    When you get an imprint of the buttons on your face.
    I switched from a 7100t to a 700w. Love the speed of the new device, and the fact that I can actually connect to my stock broker website. (It's why I switched, the BB would just tell me "this page is to large for the device".)

I will have to say the BB got my mail quicker though; as I ended up having them running side by side for a few days durring the switch. For the rest, I'm quite happy with the 700w though the 7100t sits on my shelf for international trips (It's an unlocked GSM model)
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1
    When you get an imprint of the buttons on your face.
    Ok a little slow to understand but now I get it. Now that's funny!

Lord I aplogize to all the starving pygmies in Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinmg
    what i miss from my BB:

-Push Email
    -Threaded SMS Views
    A 650 would do you well then