Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If I see the stupid rainbow circle saying that a program is loading one more time, I'm going to break this damn phone. For those who want a broken Treo 700, please come to San Jose and pick up its pieces on Blossom Hill Rd in about 10 minutes.

I'm going back to the 650, where programs don't take 5 years to load...
    ive never had this problem are you running alot of 3rd party apps?!
    Got Treo?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by AceMarlak
    ive never had this problem are you running alot of 3rd party apps?!
    The only third party app is Agile messenger, which is not on all the time. The main issue, as everyone already knows, is the lack of memory. It's really frustrating when I am trying to receive a call but can't do to a program that is opening or closing. I've had the phone for about 3 weeks now, and things just aggravate me more and more.

650, here I come... again!
    yeah memory is a big issue i have jus started to notice it since i started adding apps even tho i have only seen the low memory message once since ive had my phone i am always running at between 6 - 8 MB and thats jus runnin resco radio text messaging and calender, i do feel ur pain there but i love my 700w im jus waitin hopefully for a firmware update, but if you think 650 is best for you then by all means go back i would if i hated my phone
    Got Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackondaRocks
    If I see the stupid rainbow circle saying that a program is loading one more time, I'm going to break this damn phone. For those who want a broken Treo 700, please come to San Jose and pick up its pieces on Blossom Hill Rd in about 10 minutes.

I'm going back to the 650, where programs don't take 5 years to load...
    Constructive, intersesting, informative, and helpfull. Thank you.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Constructive, intersesting, informative, and helpfull. Thank you.
    Memory is an issue because apps are still running even when I close them. I know it's a great asset to be able to multi-task, but how efficient is it when everything slows down to a crawl? I frequently have to go to memory management to close all of my running programs which total up to at most 4 (phone, text, agile messanger, and IE).

Screen res is horrible. What good is the camera and windows media player when images and video are blurry? Also, you can't read a lot of fine texts in web pages.

No threaded SMS. I know I've been spoiled with the previous Treos on this matter, but using pocket outlook is primitive.

Can someone tell me why you like the 700 over the 650? And please don't just tell me it's because of EVDO...
    Memory is an issue because apps are still running even when I close them. I know it's a great asset to be able to multi-task, but how efficient is it when everything slows down to a crawl? I frequently have to go to memory management to close all of my running programs which total up to at most 4 (phone, text, agile messanger, and IE).

Screen res is horrible. What good is the camera and windows media player when images and video are blurry? Also, you can't read a lot of fine texts in web pages.

No threaded SMS. I know I've been spoiled with the previous Treos on this matter, but using pocket outlook is primitive.

Can someone tell me why you like the 700 over the 650? And please don't just tell me it's because of EVDO...
    Can somebody tell me why a gun works better than a knife? And PLEASEEE don't tell me because it shoots bullets.
    honestly the screen res isnt even that bad i here all the time. i have seen both and personally i think the treo 700w is fine and the res is a WM doing not a paml doing you kne going into gettin this phone it was going to be 240x240 so u cant blame ur problems on that, the threaded sms is much better on previous treos and i would have loved to see it remain but to me thats not a deciding factor on a phone the only issue i agree with u on is the memory but that has been talked about over and over again hopefully there will be somethin done if not then im sorry but by the way EVDO is a big plus
    Got Treo?
    This has been the consensus of every review I have read on the subject.....best WM5 device but still short of the 650. Best WM5 device is kinda akin to saying "most reliable english made automobile.....it runs fine as long as it isn't raining"

Mutlitasking looks good on paper but they just haven't gotten to the point where they can fit enough hardware in that small a package and make it functional for my tastes. My approach is, if it takes more than 2 seconds to do anything on a phone or PDA, it's no longer a time saver.

If they can keep the feature set down to today's level and wait till we have 512 MB and 32 GB SD cards, I think WM can move to a functional level....assuming of course they leave out the aeroglass and other wizbang stuff that does nothing for productivity.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

I had more issues with my 650 than I've had with my 700. In fact, I had 4 650's in a years time. All because of stupid issues. The 700 (at least for me) is more functional. I am able to do more than I could with the 650 without the lockups. I was resetting one 650 2-3 times a day, just so I could receive phone calls. People would call and it would go to voicemail until I reset it.

EVDO is not the only reason other than the when I download my emails, it does it a lot faster even with large attachements. I always thought it was a PITA to do email on the 650 (the way I do it) but the 700 and EVDO resolved that for me.

You might want to look into the reghack for the memory, it worked for me, some say they didn't notice anything. Do a search in the forum for NeverDorkMemory.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Mutlitasking looks good on paper but they just haven't gotten to the point where they can fit enough hardware in that small a package and make it functional for my tastes. My approach is, if it takes more than 2 seconds to do anything on a phone or PDA, it's no longer a time saver.

If they can keep the feature set down to today's level and wait till we have 512 MB and 32 GB SD cards, I think WM can move to a functional level....assuming of course they leave out the aeroglass and other wizbang stuff that does nothing for productivity.
    Multitasking works just fine on a properly equipped PPC and is, arguably, indispensible. The XV6600 and i730 (with WM2003 or WM5.0) are excellent multitasking machines - I'll never go back to the one-program-at-a-time shuffle again.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    I had more issues with my 650 than I've had with my 700. In fact, I had 4 650's in a years time. All because of stupid issues. The 700 (at least for me) is more functional. I am able to do more than I could with the 650 without the lockups. I was resetting one 650 2-3 times a day, just so I could receive phone calls. People would call and it would go to voicemail until I reset it.

EVDO is not the only reason other than the when I download my emails, it does it a lot faster even with large attachements. I always thought it was a PITA to do email on the 650 (the way I do it) but the 700 and EVDO resolved that for me.

You might want to look into the reghack for the memory, it worked for me, some say they didn't notice anything. Do a search in the forum for NeverDorkMemory.
    Thanks for the reghack tip... I'll look further into it.
    I use CloseAll.exe which can be downloaded in http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=65875

Put it in your start menu or whatever. I assign it to my Option-OK button, meaning now if I hold the OK button it will close all programs that are open. So I never have to go into the memory manager.

Also download the Running Programs.lnk which basically is a shortcut to the Memory Manager. So now if i DO need to get into that, I just use this.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee
    I use CloseAll.exe which can be downloaded in http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=65875

Put it in your start menu or whatever. I assign it to my Option-OK button, meaning now if I hold the OK button it will close all programs that are open. So I never have to go into the memory manager.

Also download the Running Programs.lnk which basically is a shortcut to the Memory Manager. So now if i DO need to get into that, I just use this.
    If you use Option and the center button it will take you directly to the memory Manager. So why you you need another program that can take up memory to do this?
    Because going into memory manager is a PITA!! You should be able to shut down programs directly from their own screen! I do not understand why this isn't an option on WM. Like Lawrence, I use a similar program, Magic Button(and also used vBar). They make it a lot easier to actually close programs without going into memory manager.

However, I thought that if you held down the OK button on the 700w, you would get an option to close. At least that's the lecture I got a few months ago.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Lady you are right. Just just read that if you hold down the ok button that the memory manager opens.
    Mutlitasking looks good on paper but they just haven't gotten to the point where they can fit enough hardware in that small a package and make it functional for my tastes.
    This is more of an issue with the 700w, rather than WM devices. Here is a real life example of how I used my PPC-6600 on nearly a daily basis with excellent multitasking without even a second thought about memory:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    You may not have the need to fully utilitize what these devices can (or should be able to) do, but there are many of us who do. It doesn't make one person wrong or the other better. It is just a matter of meeting the needs of the demographics a phone like this attracts. I do actually find my self in situations quite often when I am running all of the following at one time:
    • Pocket Informant -- Calendar PIM
    • WebIs Mail -- Email Client
    • Pocket Plus -- Gives many addons for WM short sightedness like actually having X close programs instead of minizing, able to browse in multi windows, etc...
    • PocketBreeze -- easy email and calendar overview
    • PocketContacts -- fastest way to dial on a WM this side of the Mississippi River!
    • PIE -- More often than not to look up a retail location or office address on their corp site
    • iGuidance GPS -- So I can find the address I just looked up
    • Pocket Express -- To find a local person's contact information in 411
    • My Converter Pro -- Calculator
    • Phone -- Gotta catch those calls that come in
    • ClearVue Worksheet -- While talking on the phone, reviewing those numbers in the spreadsheet my boss just emailed me .
    • BugMe -- Need to scribble down a note during that same phone call with my boss and I just can't find a pen and paper.
    • iPod Clone -- Then at times I have my FM mod plugged into the headset jack and I am also playing my gig collection of MP3s I have on my phone while I am driving using my GPS.
    When I am on the road I am constantly in situations in just the course of doing my normal responsibilities of my job having all of these open at once. I have been doing it on WM devices for 14 months now without a single thought that I couldn't.....and they can do it. There shouldn't be a lowering of expectations that they shouldn't be able to do what models released 1 1/2 years ago can do, IMHO.

If you have 64 mb of memory to run the programs in, there is no problem doing this. I do feel that Palm short sheeted the Treo in the memory department....but that is nothing more than own personal opinion.

I do not own a Treo 700w, but I am actively trying to help those who do, as I may find myself interested in the next updated version as they hopefully offer the tools I need for the demands of my job. So there is an invested interest in finding out what this phone does well AND what it's short coming are so hopefully we can try to address them.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...7&postcount=42
    Here is another post on how multitasking usually works on a WM device:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...2&postcount=45
    This has been the consensus of every review I have read on the subject.....best WM5 device but still short of the 650. Best WM5 device is kinda akin to saying "most reliable english made automobile.....it runs fine as long as it isn't raining"
    Makes you wonder how they come to this conclusion. Other than coming in a Treo form factor, its lacking compared to other WM models out there. Memory, screen resolution, lack of WiFi. I always said if the Treo came out in Windows Mobile, I'd get it. Little did I know they'd dumb it down like they did with the 650.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    this is all so very funny. pita to hold down a button and press stop all? some of you must be very busy people.

like i've said, i must have the only treo700w in america that works.
    does magic button really quit things and restore your memory back? I noticed today i had AS and outlook open w/ voice command running in the background and BT enabled. I noticed that i had a little over 2 megs of ram left. is this due to residual memory being used up? or is it due to me viewing emails etc on from outlook?
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast