Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri
    If you use Option and the center button it will take you directly to the memory Manager. So why you you need another program that can take up memory to do this?

    Its not another program. Its a LNK file, a SHORTCUT.

    And CLOSEALL is NOT another program. Its just does what it says it does. It CLOSES ALL.

    You DONT have to install ANYTHING.
  2. #22  
    Like I said, you can assign Option-OK (which is basically holding down OK) to run the EXE file CloseAll, and all that does is it CLOSES every program without having to go an extra step of going into memory manager to close it.

    And the Running programs, if you read more carefully, is a shortcut to the memory manager, which is convenient because if you assign option-ok to CloseAll, you can then put this shortcut into your start menu to have easy access to your mem manager if you needed to go there.

    These things don't use extra memory or anything. They are just executables.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    this is all so very funny. pita to hold down a button and press stop all? some of you must be very busy people.

    like i've said, i must have the only treo700w in america that works.
    When you need to do this once a week it's not so bad. When you need to do this several times a day it sucks. When Palm puts in 32 MB of RAM so you MUST do this several times a day, it makes things that suck look palatable. It's just that Palm would rather not admit right up from that the 700w sucks with 32MB of RAM and would rather have users discover this 16 days after they have been playing with the damn phone. Thus we need to create this customization. Die Palm Die.

    For those of us really busy people that thought the 700w might be a Blackberry replacement like the 650 was for a time, they are kidding themselves. The 32MB of RAM limitation itself cripples the device to the point of making applications crawl (if you use several) and the opening and shutting feels like an eternity, especially if you had used either of the above devices.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    When you need to do this once a week it's not so bad. When you need to do this several times a day it sucks.
    ...because dedicating 30 seconds (6 x button-mashes) out of 605,000 seconds (one week) is fine, but dedicating 30 seconds out of 86,400 (one day) is insanely intrusive - that certainly justifies a "Die Palm, Die" in any rationally thinking person's mind.
  5. #25  
    I cannot WAIT until the 700p comes out. Then everyone will start *****ing about all of its issues and idly threaten to Ebay it and go back to the reliable-in-comparison 700w. I wonder if there is a 650 forum out there with whining posts from all of these same users who claim to love and adore their 650 now that the 700w is out. Being an early adopter comes with risks...why is this so hard to understand? Yes it has memory issues, yes it has lower screen res, yes Activesync has problems. My God we all get it. DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING USEFUL TO ADD!?!

    Can we please, please eliminate all these "Rant" threads, they are so pointless and just take up space. No one is asking for, receiving, or providing help on any issues. I urge everyone and anyone with the urge to start a Rant thread just b/c you've had a bad day to just go fire off some knuckle children and mellow out. It'll all be fine in the morning...I promise. sorry for the rant
  6. #26  
    I bought the 700 a few days after it was released. I tried like hell to love the phone and put up with whatever bugs it had. Just can't do it any more.. it's getting in the way of business.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    When you need to do this once a week it's not so bad. When you need to do this several times a day it sucks. When Palm puts in 32 MB of RAM so you MUST do this several times a day, it makes things that suck look palatable. It's just that Palm would rather not admit right up from that the 700w sucks with 32MB of RAM and would rather have users discover this 16 days after they have been playing with the damn phone. Thus we need to create this customization. Die Palm Die.

    For those of us really busy people that thought the 700w might be a Blackberry replacement like the 650 was for a time, they are kidding themselves. The 32MB of RAM limitation itself cripples the device to the point of making applications crawl (if you use several) and the opening and shutting feels like an eternity, especially if you had used either of the above devices.
    funny...my Treo700 coupled with Goodlink makes me never want to go back to a Blackberry. Been there done that. As for my device, I don't have to soft-reset it each day, I'm sorry that you have to.

    Mine works.
  8. sanjsrik's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #28  
    HEY, how come no one answered why a gun works better than a knife?

    <G>
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    funny...my Treo700 coupled with Goodlink makes me never want to go back to a Blackberry. Been there done that. As for my device, I don't have to soft-reset it each day, I'm sorry that you have to.

    Mine works.
    I'm very happy for you. I got my Treo 700w to do something more than just Goodlink/Blackberry email. Fact is there is a memory leak that gets worse as you open and close applications, with or without system loading components installed. System slowdowns will and do occur. That is fact. If you don't do any resets then I'm happy for you that you've got plenty of time on your hands. Coming from a Treo 650 it is a shocker at how long the 700w takes to open and close applications. Thus it made plenty of sense why Microsoft recommended 64MB of RAM as a minimum if you do use more than just a handful of applications. Fact. Anyone who tells you something else is just fiction. It is what it is and if you don't want to reset then you must be willing to wait. 'Nuff said.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I'm very happy for you. I got my Treo 700w to do something more than just Goodlink/Blackberry email. Fact is there is a memory leak that gets worse as you open and close applications, with or without system loading components installed. System slowdowns will and do occur. That is fact. If you don't do any resets then I'm happy for you that you've got plenty of time on your hands. Coming from a Treo 650 it is a shocker at how long the 700w takes to open and close applications. Thus it made plenty of sense why Microsoft recommended 64MB of RAM as a minimum if you do use more than just a handful of applications. Fact. Anyone who tells you something else is just fiction. It is what it is and if you don't want to reset then you must be willing to wait. 'Nuff said.
    Hallelujia!!!! Enough already!!!! Quit your *****in!!! I get it..you've had trouble with your phone. Sell it, buy another phone so that you can move on; Please, Please, just stop complaining about the same things... I can track your posts, and it's the most redundant chain of complaints about the same things over and over again... Not raggin' on ya, just please, post something else besides a gripe once in a while.... There is a whole beutiful world out there...don't let some piece of hardware make you miserable. S*** or get off the pot...
    Last edited by aferm; 04/14/2006 at 06:33 PM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I'm very happy for you. I got my Treo 700w to do something more than just Goodlink/Blackberry email. Fact is there is a memory leak that gets worse as you open and close applications, with or without system loading components installed. System slowdowns will and do occur. That is fact. If you don't do any resets then I'm happy for you that you've got plenty of time on your hands. Coming from a Treo 650 it is a shocker at how long the 700w takes to open and close applications. Thus it made plenty of sense why Microsoft recommended 64MB of RAM as a minimum if you do use more than just a handful of applications. Fact. Anyone who tells you something else is just fiction. It is what it is and if you don't want to reset then you must be willing to wait. 'Nuff said.
    Maybe what you have your Treo700w doing for you is what is causing you such consternation. Mine works, I'm sorry yours doesn't for you.

    Have fun
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    ...Fact is there is a memory leak that gets worse as you open and close applications ...
    I am 99% sure you dont know anything about "memory leaks", so lets not pretend otherwise.

    It's the responsibility of the application developer to allocate memory as needed, and return it back to the Operating System when finished. This is not the responsibility of, nor is it under the control of the Operating System. However .NET applications do use "managed code" and "garbage collection" to help clean up after unruly or poorly written software. Many other technologies do not.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    I am 99% sure you dont know anything about "memory leaks", so lets not pretend otherwise.

    It's the responsibility of the application developer to allocate memory as needed, and return it back to the Operating System when finished. This is not the responsibility of, nor is it under the control of the Operating System. However .NET applications do use "managed code" and "garbage collection" to help clean up after unruly or poorly written software. Many other technologies do not.
    1) Don't be so sure
    2) It's somebody's fault and it's all over the place... and I'm using very popular software... and even on a clean install the memory still jumps around all over the place.

    PS - I know what "leaks" are quite well
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    2) It's somebody's fault and it's all over the place... and I'm using very popular software... and even on a clean install the memory still jumps around all over the place.

    PS - I know what "leaks" are quite well
    You are both right, IMO.

    Even with a "clean" install, you have the built-in software offered by MS & Palm. Yep, there are memory leaks and they are NOT unique to the Treo 700w. It is just that the Treo 700w is already memory constrained.
  15. nuflat's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #35  
    Hey, well you know what? My Dad can beat up your Dad!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Can somebody tell me why a gun works better than a knife? And PLEASEEE don't tell me because it shoots bullets.
    because it shoots bullets
  17. #37  
    i dont have any personal experience with the 700w but i know two people that have one,both of whom where former treo 650 owners. one likes the phone and the other one doesnt.....but they both agree that app loading and screen res isnt as good as the treo 650,but on the other hand multitasking and EVDO is hard to pass up, i think they'll both convert back to palm OS once the 700p comes out though, things dont look that "bright" on the "dark side" of the force.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

    http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    You are both right, IMO.

    Even with a "clean" install, you have the built-in software offered by MS & Palm. Yep, there are memory leaks and they are NOT unique to the Treo 700w. It is just that the Treo 700w is already memory constrained.
    Yes Beryl, I agree with this 100%. The memory on every single WM5 device I have owned has always degraded oevr time. The difference was they were 64MB devices with over 40MB free so the leak wasn't noticable. The 700w only had less then 10MB free so the leak is much more noticable.

    I read over on XDA that WM5 Post AKU2 install no longer have this leak so hopefully it has been fixed...
  19. #39  
    man that would be great if that AKU2 did do that
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    1) PS - I know what "leaks" are quite well
    It doesn't sound like you do.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions