Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    If you are having problems syncing with the new Treo, try the following:
    1. Check whether you have tons of 0 length files in \Windows\Temp
    2. Delete them
    3. Try to sync again using ActiveSync

Treo creates tons of these 0 length files for no good reason.
    That would explain why some people don't experience this on other phones but the Treo.
    Due to massive number of files, this affects ActiveSync to timeout.
    Last edited by thedumbkid; 04/12/2006 at 12:42 PM.
    This works. Tech support at palm told me about this today. After emptying the temp file, synchronization with my desktop via USB (which had been taking 2-3 minutes), completed in seconds. I had over 1300 files in the windows\temp folder which had apparently been added over time (each time I synced), and then on subsequent Syncs, active sync tried to go through them again. As a result of this problem the Syncs get slower and slower over time. Palm says they are testing this solution now, and hopefully the problem will be corrected in future ROM update (but uncertain if will be in upcoming msfp update). At any rate, this seems to fix the problem of the gradually slower and slower syncs leading to ultimate failure and hard reset to fix.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    thedumbkid-

If this works (which it looks like it should work), you should change your name to thesmartkid!

Will this mean that I can re-check my "Files" and "Favorites", etc to sync once again, without worrying that it will hang?

Update: the above fixes all previous Activesync problems! Great job finding this.
    Last edited by plasmo; 04/16/2006 at 08:45 AM.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    My goodness! I had about 1800 of these zero length files. All of them were dated after my last hard reset. If this is the cause, it makes sense why a hard reset works to resolve my USB Activesync problems which occur monthly.
    Awesome fine the(notso)dumbkid. I had about 1400 of those buggers myself. What in the heck is creating those and then not deleting them?
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbkid
    If you are having problems syncing with the new Treo, try the following:
    1. Check whether you have tons of 0 length files in \Windows\Temp
    2. Delete them
    3. Try to sync again using ActiveSync

Treo creates tons of these 0 length files for no good reason.
    That would explain why some people don't experience this on other phones but the Treo.
    Due to massive number of files, this affects ActiveSync to timeout.
    YOU ARE THE BEST!
    I had 1920 zero length files, and deleted them....

now I can sync my 700w with Activesync (calendar, contacts, AND files + favorites) in 20 (yes TWENTY) seconds!!!

Before I deleted the files, it wouldn't even sync.

This info should be STICKY.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Yes indeedy. That seems to work for me also. My first sync after deleting all of those files took less than one minute.

Of course, the real test will be when USB AS stops working completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Sprite wasn't backing these files up on my device so that is why a hard reset/restore cleaned up my AS woes. What backup app were you using?

(You might want to continue discussing your progress here since these are 2 very different solutions
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...d.php?t=111766 )
    I am using spb backup and did the full backup. I'm not actually sure if it backed up these files yet, but it would explain my 1.5 hour restores. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm still waiting for the 5K 0 byte files to get deleted on my Treo...

The results are in!

ActiveSync now works for me!!!!

I also did a backup/restore with spb backup.
    backup time 2min 45sec.
    restore time 3min 3sec.

Holy Bejeezus Batman!!! I Lub you guys!!!
    hannip, that is more in line with the Sprite backup/restores.

Y'all might want to use http://www.valksoft.com/SpaceReclaimer.html and add Windows\Temp as a temporary folder to be cleared out automatically.

Thanks to kid for posting this important thread!
    mine worked great
    Wow, this worked great for me as well. I had 1800-ish of those bad boys in there and USB sync had stopped working. Now it syncs in 30 seconds (including files!)

Nice work.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    This didn't solve my ActiveSync problems. Mine still stays stuck at Connecting and never syncs. This is ridiculous - we're still waiting on the free backup software we were promised and I can't even sync my phone with my computer. What does it take to get some action from Palm?
    psywzrd,
    This fixes the problem people who were stuck in the "Looking For Changes" phase. Your problem might be caused by your firewall or something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd
    This didn't solve my ActiveSync problems. Mine still stays stuck at Connecting and never syncs. This is ridiculous - we're still waiting on the free backup software we were promised and I can't even sync my phone with my computer. What does it take to get some action from Palm?
    Problem could be the user.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Problem could be the user.
    Um, don't think so. There are plenty of people reporting problems using ActiveSync so I'm hardly alone in my plight. Also, I've tried just about every "solution" that's been posted so blaming it on the user is nonsense. If you have something helpful to add please feel free to do so, but don't insult my intelligence.
    thedumkid - you are my hero. I am going to hunt you down and kiss you on the lips. Thank you so much for sharing this solution. I have lived without desktop sync for months now and you have saved me.
    OMG! You are my freaking HERO!!! When is your birthday and address so I can send you a few gifts?! I was about ready to punt my PC and my phone onto the freeway! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Wow. I wish I would have seen this thread a couple of months ago. That worked like a charm. I truly appreciate your post. It has already saved me a bunch of time/effort.
    I have not been able to sync since the first of October and it was driving me mad! But thanks to my great friend that lead me to this site all of my problems were solved. Thanks a bunch!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast