Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I spoke with our IT department today about upgrading to the 2003 Exchange Server (from the 2000). He said to upgrade the Service pack and the OS would cost up to $3000!
    Does that sound right?
    He didnt understand why it was a requirement to have the 2003 Exchange server because apparently its not much different from the 2000.. Is there a reason why we must have the 2003 server?
    Please advise.
    drummer? rush fan? is this Neil Pert?

No idea asto the answer to your question but I thought MS had a protection plan (Upgrade Advantage) most companies buy for their servers which allows them to upgrade at little or no cost for 2 years after purchase.
    What messaging and security pack are you talking about?

I've been looking at switching our corporate email to Microsoft Exchange. IT does look like it would cost a few thousand to setup yourself. We are debating whether to do it and control everything ourselves or just pay for someone else to manage it. Personally I like the latter option as they would have more experience with that stuff than our regular IT guys would.

After typing all of that it does look like there is some kind of Hosted Exchange service you can get. I'm reading up on that now.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/se.../services.mspx
    Treo700.us is now WinMobee.com. Soon to be a great resource site for all Windows Mobile phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    I spoke with our IT department today about upgrading to the 2003 Exchange Server (from the 2000). He said to upgrade the Service pack and the OS would cost up to $3000!
    Does that sound right?
    He didnt understand why it was a requirement to have the 2003 Exchange server because apparently its not much different from the 2000.. Is there a reason why we must have the 2003 server?
    Please advise.
    There are tons of differences between Exchange 2000 and 2003. And YES Exchange 2003 + SP2 are required for the Push e-mail to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo700.us Luke
    What messaging and security pack are you talking about?

I've been looking at switching our corporate email to Microsoft Exchange. IT does look like it would cost a few thousand to setup yourself. We are debating whether to do it and control everything ourselves or just pay for someone else to manage it. Personally I like the latter option as they would have more experience with that stuff than our regular IT guys would.

After typing all of that it does look like there is some kind of Hosted Exchange service you can get. I'm reading up on that now.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/se.../services.mspx
    One of the things that Exchange 2003 brought to the table is "Hosted Exchange" so you can do exactly what you are thinking.

Also, depending on the size of your company you should look at Small Business Server 2003. This is a suite of server products including Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003, SQL etc... the catch with this product is there is a limit of 75 users max.
    Thanks. I'm definitely going to look into the hosted exchange more tonight. And the amount of people using it here in the company is minimal so yea, I think that Small Business Server 2003 would work. But we already have a brand new windows server running Windows Server 2003 I believe.
    Treo700.us is now WinMobee.com. Soon to be a great resource site for all Windows Mobile phones.
    Thanks. I'm definitely going to look into the hosted exchange more tonight. And the amount of people using it here in the company is minimal so yea, I think that Small Business Server 2003 would work. But we already have a brand new windows server running Windows Server 2003 I believe.
    DOH! well the good thing about SBS is you can have other Windows Servers as member servers, so you can set teh SBS as your primary domain controller then use the 2nd server as an application or backup server.
    That's cool, don't think we'll be getting another server for this but that's good to know. Thanks.
  9.    #9  
    So basically (with our business of 6 employees) you're telling me its going to cost around $3000 to get the new 2003 server? I'm not willing to spend that just so i can get "push" email on my treo.. This sucks!
    No, there are other options than getting your own server. The hosted option I'm still looking into.
  11.    #11  
    But we already own our own Windows 2000 Server.. So wouldnt it make sense that we would need the 03 server? I dont understand..
    Is there a reason why we must have the 2003 server?
    Please advise.
    Gates needs the money

Leveraging is the MS way. Can't say I wouldn't do the same thing in their shows but as a consumer I don't have to like it. MS products are specifically designed to try and steer you into buying more MS products and place a few hurdles in the way of using anything else.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Gates needs the money

Leveraging is the MS way. Can't say I wouldn't do the same thing in their shows but as a consumer I don't have to like it. MS products are specifically designed to try and steer you into buying more MS products and place a few hurdles in the way of using anything else.
    The truth has been spoken.

Its true. If you look at the history of MS you'll see. There are still companies out there that are running NT4.0 but MS doesn't support that anymore. So M$ is forcing companies to upgrade.
    But we already own our own Windows 2000 Server.. So wouldnt it make sense that we would need the 03 server? I dont understand..
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/pricing.mspx

If your existing server hardware can handle it, small business server will get you Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 and 5 client access licenses for $599.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri
    There are still companies out there that are running NT4.0 but MS doesn't support that anymore. So M$ is forcing companies to upgrade.
    I'm glad they don't support them. If MS did support them, the rest of us would be paying for it. Should MS still support all versions of DOS? I have a 1981 Kaypro II that still runs and uses CP/M - should I require Digital Research to support that? Supporting 3-version-old software is enough of a pain - supporting NT4.0 (4-version-old) is asking a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri
    The truth has been spoken.

Its true. If you look at the history of MS you'll see. There are still companies out there that are running NT4.0 but MS doesn't support that anymore. So M$ is forcing companies to upgrade.
    This is a BS argument. Support for all products eventually comes to an end as the product is outdated by newer versions. No one is forcing you to upgrade, I am sure that Win 3.0 desktop is working fine for you!

Personally, I am glad they release newer better products and stop supporting the older products. The older a product gets, the more expensive it costs to support it and those costs get passed along to consumers.

I can tell you from personal experiance, that while your friend's NT4.0 server is "good enough" they are loosing thousands of hours of productivity each year by not upgrading to the newer versions.
  17.    #17  
    Who can/should i call to get more info on this? I dont think my IT guy gets it.. He dosent understand the whole mobile thing..

Also,
    We are going to have 3 Windows mobile devices in our small office soon so the 2003 Server definitely seems like the best option.. However all 3 devices are different: Treo 700w, Verizon 6700 and soon a Motorola Q. Do all 3 devices have the new push email solution?
    No, there are other options than getting your own server. The hosted option I'm still looking into.
    Hello Luke (and Tama):

The Hosted Mail Service you referenced is basically a "gateway" solution for actual Exchange servers, that you either own at your premises, or hosted by an ISP. This service was formerly Frontbridge which MS aquired recently. It's basically an enhanced gateway filtering solution before e-mails get to your actual server.

Anyway, look at www.intermedia.net for an actual Exchange Hosting. They've been around awhile, and optional features incl. Goodlink, BlackBerry, and of course, Activesync. There are others like them, but I can't remember who.

Tama2112 -- you may want to look at www.intermedia.net also (no, I don't work for them, and I'm actually about to try them for one of my clients). Maintaining your own Exchange server, whether it be SBS or Std, requires a knowledgeable person or staff or outsourced IT firm, and can be daunting at times, not to mention the initial hardware and software costs. Budget and justification permitting, it's the way to go, as you will not be limited to your own customizations.

Best,
    Oryx
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    I can tell you from personal experiance, that while your friend's NT4.0 server is "good enough" they are loosing thousands of hours of productivity each year by not upgrading to the newer versions.
    Like most comapnies we had a mix of OS's as hardware purchases are spread out so as not to have all machines upgraded in one year. One thing we did discover as a result is that, on production machines, older OS's beat the pants off the newer, more bloated OS's. We have one CAD box still running NT4 Workstation that everyone runs to when they wanna get something done fast. The Win2k and XP boxes, despite drastically faster CPU's and 4 times the RAM simply can't touch it. I have yet to find a single program, assuming it is supported on each OS, that won't benchmark faster on an older OS. That's always been the case since MS's first major upgrade. Win95 was 40% slower than W4WGs on the same hardware....nothing has changed since.
  20.    #20  
    Oryxtek,
    Someone reccommended buying this for our Windows 2000 server in order to make the messaging work:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/pricing.mspx

(the $599 License pack)

Is that all i would need??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast