1.    #1  
    Well after about a week and half of playing w/ the xv 6700 I asked VZW data tech support if I could go back to the Treo 700. I couldnít deal with the fact that I was getting really bad reception and almost 70% of my calls were not going through to me. I would get these mysterious vm notification and never once did I log a missed call. This was frustrating because after all I am paying for the phone service and itís a phone primarily and pda as a secondary use. They felt that my phone was defective which I am inclined to believe because it was bad, I was hardly on evdo at work mainly 1x and my signal would fluctuate greatly. With this new 700 that I got, my reception is pretty darn good. Im registering good signal and maintain a consistent EVDO connection.

I enjoyed using the 6700 but in the end like someone said, the 6700 is more pda than it is a phone while the 700 is more a phone first than a pda. Which is fine with me, Iíll just learn not to push this thing to hard with running a lot of apps. Right now Iím running voice command, active sync, phone, outlook, and have BT enabled and Iím 6.86 MB of free space. Not bad, plus Iím trying that NeverDorkMemory hack to see if it helps.

I have new found appreciation for this 700 despite all its shortcomings that most people complain about. Some of the issues that Iíve read recently are:

Battery life Ė when I first took it out of the box yesterday at around 5 pm I let it run through the night and up till 1pm today before I plugged it in for charging. Mind you I hadnít received my notification that my battery was low yet. So battery is not an issue for me. As a comparison, if the 6700 was at 70% battery life as the 700 was when i brought it home, it would not have lasted the night, i think that was in part due to my coverage at home. If it switched from evdo to 1x and vice versa it would wake itself up and that really helped kill the battery life.

Delay in hanging up Ė I experienced this w/ my first 700 a few weeks back. After I would end a call, the clock/timer would continue to count even though I know I hung up. Well someoneís fixed it be it Palm or VZW because when I hang up now, it hangs up no lag.

Memory Ė well I already mentioned that up top.

And I do LOVE the form factor of the TreoÖcant complain, my wife joked with me last night saying ďIím glad you got the treo again, because that other phone was uglyĒ

Thought Iíd share my trials and tribulations.
    Last edited by foofighter; 04/10/2006 at 04:15 PM.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing your experiences...the xv6700 would have been my alternate choice for pda/phone as well. I'm also still happy with the 700w, despite its shortcomings, and glad I got one....until the next Treo comes out...
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    That is interesting. I had a very similar experience when using my old i730 in 1X areas. It was like the phone would never release the data connection when it was finished.

The 700 rarely ever causes a missed call in 1X areas. Thanks for sharing.
    Welcome back. The XV6700 has always been an attractive device since I'm not anxious to upgrade i730 to WM5. (Actually, I hate upgrading any Windoze device. I'd rather just purchase it preloaded and factory tested because it is a pain getting the right drivers.)

The 700w works for me because I also need a phone more than a PDA. Yep, the battery life is great (as long as you don't use a BT headset).
  5.    #5  
    i agree Beryl, PHONE first...other things are after that.

I dont know but i swear they made some improvements on this phone since i had it last...maybe it's in my head...but I get better signal i'm connected to EVDO a lot more batter life is crazy good. Maybe it's just the new found appreciation for this device.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Boy do I feel you. I originally bought the 700w, but got frustrated when the device slowed to a crawl after viewing web pages that contained a lot of images.

So I bought the xv6700 and thought it would be awesome... while it was great for viewing webpages while not slowing down the entire device, the phone functionality of it really bites IMO. it's really clunky and not nearly as intuitive as the 700w. now let's talk about battery life... or the lack thereof. it barely lasts a day with light use, compared to maybe 3 days for the treo with light use (for me at least). and finally, the build quality of the xv6700 just doesn't compare to the 700w... the 700w feels much more sturdy, whereas I feel like I have to be extremely delicate with the xv6700.

i only had the xv6700 for 3 days and am already selling it =P. looks like i'll be waiting like everyone else for PPCtechs to get that RAM upgrade working.
  7.    #7  
    ehong81: did you have sporadic missed calls w/ your phone as well w/out a miss call registering on the log? And how was you signal quality?

Yah, my 6700 didnt last 1/2 a day...i had to have my charger w/ me to plug it in while at work.

Im ok with it not being super fast when browsing sites, because i'll only use it here and there. let's face it, it's not the best screen to browse sites with.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    i had the 6700 for like 3 weeks.. it was cool at first but after a while the phone became very annoying.. i started to despise opening up the keyboard.. even with the hacks, the transition from landscape and back slowed down to a crawl.. it was horrible.. phone sucked, the screen felt smushy like the build quality was not there.. i bought the treo 700w at full retail.. i work for the company so i got a discount on it.. and sold my 6700 for like 275.. i am extremely happy, the battery life on the 6700 would die SO fast.. i hated it, my treo i can go a full days use of going crazy on the net and it still lasts till i go to sleep.. overall the 700 rocks the 6700
    - Treo 700w
  9.    #9  
    hawk...when you say you "work for the company" which company? PALM?
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    verizon lol.. if i could get a job at palm.. that would rule.. you would see super mario bros on all handsets.. STANDARD haha
    - Treo 700w
  11.    #11  
    LOL that'd be great! LOL
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter
    ehong81: did you have sporadic missed calls w/ your phone as well w/out a miss call registering on the log? And how was you signal quality?
    I didn't have the phone long enough to really get any missed calls, but signal quality was definitely lacking compared to the treo.

I just really hope the 64mb upgrade comes out soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkINX4
    i had the 6700 for like 3 weeks.. it was cool at first but after a while the phone became very annoying.. i started to despise opening up the keyboard.. even with the hacks, the transition from landscape and back slowed down to a crawl.. it was horrible.. phone sucked, the screen felt smushy like the build quality was not there.. i bought the treo 700w at full retail.. i work for the company so i got a discount on it.. and sold my 6700 for like 275.. i am extremely happy, the battery life on the 6700 would die SO fast.. i hated it, my treo i can go a full days use of going crazy on the net and it still lasts till i go to sleep.. overall the 700 rocks the 6700
    yes, sliding keyboards are a deal killer for most people who rely heavily on the email/txt functionality....i would absolutely go insane if i had to open/shut and turn the thing around each and every time i had to use the keyboard...why i was so happy ridding myself of my 6600.

still love the Treo