1.    #1  
    I took a look at NetFront's memory requirements so I could use a web browser that is better than Pocket IE.

Memory for program execution: 4.5MB+ 8.5MB+ (activating JV-Lite2)

Even rebooting I don't have enough memory to run this. Palm absolutely sucks, 'nuff said. Let's hope the PPCTechs guys can practically obsolete Palm's 750w before it even comes out with the same specs, built-in WiFi and the all important 64 MB RAM...
    I think your complaint should be with Netfront not MS or Palm. Why should you be here complaining about a software which requires such large amounts of resources and then blame it on the manufacturer and OS who provided you for free a product which already includes the same thing for free and it works? Do you work for NetFront? Or are you just trying to slam the 700W because it is MS WM5?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I think your complaint should be with Netfront not MS or Palm. Why should you be here complaining about a software which requires such large amounts of resources and then blame it on the manufacturer and OS who provided you for free a product which already includes the same thing for free and it works? Do you work for NetFront? Or are you just trying to slam the 700W because it is MS WM5?
    The complaint rests solely and squarely with Palm -- it has 32MB less RAM than any other current WM5 device on the market. No matter what insane programming brilliance they may have used, you can't get programs running that require more space than you have.

Palm sucks. Let's hope PPCTechs saves this phone, despite the cost.
    Use opera it works fine
    Use pocket IE it works fine. That is my point you want to use something that was not designed and tested for the 700W on the 700W and are complining about that. Hello!!!

Next you will be wondering why you can't run Apple's OS X on it???? Or maybe some Tandem specific software, oh wait Palm never anticipated you would want to run mainframe apps on the Treo???
    Use pocket IE it works fine. That is my point you want to use something that was not designed and tested for the 700W on the 700W and are complining about that. Hello!!!

Next you will be wondering why you can't run Apple's OS X on it???? Or maybe some Tandem specific software, oh wait Palm never anticipated you would want to run mainframe apps on the Treo???
    No, PIE most certainly does NOT work fine for ME. Try to access Yahoo pages or save pages properly for later viewing or access any page with more than basic javascript. NetFront is a no-BS full-featured browser.

Now, am I supposed to blame Access for making what is in my opinion, the ONLY no-BS stable browser for the OS, or blame Palm for making ONE OF THE FEW WM5 devices that can't run that awesome browser?

NetFront and FlexMail are the top two reasons I gave up on the 700w and went with the 6700. I'm loving that decision more every day.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  7.    #7  

Hmmm..... which part of "the only WM5 device that has 32MB of RAM" didn't you get.

FYI, even Microsoft recommends that WM5 run with 64MB of RAM. Why should the developer think anyone would be stupid (see also "greedy") enough to install HALF the recommended RAM? I don't doubt we'll see more developer assuming that 32MB went out in 2002... F@#$ing Palm...
    skfny, funny only a couple out of the hundreds of thousands of these devices have this issue and you blame Palm. IE in WM5 works fine. I am betting you two have some registry hacks or 3rd party software causing the real issue. Maybe it is the NetFront software itself.

Iam using IEwithaWM5deviceand ithas no issue with Yahoo. In fact the Yahoo pages work very well with it. No issues. hmmmmm...wonder why?

Check this info from PocketPCMag.com. Turns out NetFront has issues with Secure Webpages!

Unfortunately, Netfront has a big problem, which renders it useless: it won't retrieve any referenced resource. That is, if the page you want to load doesn't have image/CSS/JavaScript references (just like the above one), it will load just great; on the other hand, when you visit a page that references resources, none of these references will work. This is why Netfront fails so awfully at, say, rendering Yahoo Mail.

So how is this a Palm or MS issue? Or even a memory issue?
    Just curious??

And out of a senseof wanting to be fair with you I checked Access website to see what they say about WM5 and NetFront. Guess what. WM5 IS NOT SUPPORTED!!! Guess what that means. That it is not Palm or MS who are to blame.

Follow this link to see. NetFront only SUPPORTS PPC2003 and PPC2003SE.
    http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/index.html

So what am I missing???
    Yea the ie is really my only complaint works grate on some pages and really bad and locks the device on bigger pages. I also have to clear the catch now and then. Other than that the treo is awesome.
    Netfront 3.3 is great. It has a much better javascript implementation that PIE. With PIE I feel I should be browsing mobile friendly web pages, with Netfront I can cruise the whole web in style.

If a browser can do more, I expect it to be larger. Minimo for example is a 10 MB download, and can actually render google maps. Nothing is for free.

Surur
    skfny, funny only a couple out of the hundreds of thousands of these devices have this issue and you blame Palm. IE in WM5 works fine. I am betting you two have some registry hacks or 3rd party software causing the real issue. Maybe it is the NetFront software itself.

Iam using IEwithaWM5deviceand ithas no issue with Yahoo. In fact the Yahoo pages work very well with it. No issues. hmmmmm...wonder why?

Check this info from PocketPCMag.com. Turns out NetFront has issues with Secure Webpages!

Unfortunately, Netfront has a big problem, which renders it useless: it won't retrieve any referenced resource. That is, if the page you want to load doesn't have image/CSS/JavaScript references (just like the above one), it will load just great; on the other hand, when you visit a page that references resources, none of these references will work. This is why Netfront fails so awfully at, say, rendering Yahoo Mail.

So how is this a Palm or MS issue? Or even a memory issue?
    Just curious??

Follow this link to see. NetFront only SUPPORTS PPC2003 and PPC2003SE.
    http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/index.html

So what am I missing???
    Missing a lot, apparently.

NetFront 3.3 is in public beta but it definitely works perfectly on WM5.

V 3.3 works fine with Yahoo Mail. I just tried it. Go take a look at your yahoo finance portfolio page with PIE and let us know what you find. PIE just doesn't support Javascript as well as NetFront AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

With the right settings and a good EVDO signal, NetFront BLOWS AWAY the competition as is. And when the new version with Flash and a Java engine comes out, what excuse will you have to keep pushing PIE over NetFront?

And BTW, how's that built-in email app treating you? There's no need for FlexMail, right?

The 700w is a great device. I would have gotten used to the puny square screen if it could run all my apps. But it can't run the big ones with the pathetic memory size. If I just wanted simple email and browsing from my device and had no need for NetFront/FlexMail/TextMaker/PlanMaker, I'd save a few hunderd dollars and get a windows smartphone, or use a 650.
    Last edited by skfny; 04/13/2006 at 11:43 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by programmergeek
    Yea the ie is really my only complaint works grate on some pages and really bad and locks the device on bigger pages. I also have to clear the catch now and then. Other than that the treo is awesome.
    The problem is even more magnified when pages are designed with the expectation that most will be able to download them. Nobody gives a damn if Treo owners -- whose new phones have 50% of the RAM everyone else does -- can't access them. Fact is that the 32MB RAM limit should never have happened and while it works for a few, if you really use the phone it sucks only because the RAM is a physical impediment that cannot be overcome no matter what you try to do. Even the 240x240 screen could be dealt with.
    I can't believe people will defend Palm's decision to nearly gimp the device by only including 32mb.

They took the cheap way out and its pathetic because the 700W could have been a much better phone especially considering that other compaines are selling phones with twice the memory for the same price or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Missing a lot, apparently.

NetFront 3.3 is in public beta but it definitely works perfectly on WM5.

V 3.3 works fine with Yahoo Mail. I just tried it. Go take a look at your yahoo finance portfolio page with PIE and let us know what you find. PIE just doesn't support Javascript as well as NetFront AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

With the right settings and a good EVDO signal, NetFront BLOWS AWAY the competition as is. And when the new version with Flash and a Java engine comes out, what excuse will you have to keep pushing PIE over NetFront?

And BTW, how's that built-in email app treating you? There's no need for FlexMail, right?

The 700w is a great device. I would have gotten used to the puny square screen if it could run all my apps. But it can't run the big ones with the pathetic memory size. If I just wanted simple email and browsing from my device and had no need for NetFront/FlexMail/TextMaker/PlanMaker, I'd save a few hunderd dollars and get a windows smartphone, or use a 650.
    So you are complaining about Palm because a beta application you are running isn't working right? I suppose you called the builder of your house blaming the garage for your car having a flat tire? This stuff always amazes me. Thinking a beta is perfect and the manufacturer was wrong. By the way, did you not read the specs on the package before purchasing?

I have a bridge in Brooklyn you may be interested in...
    So you are complaining about Palm because a beta application you are running isn't working right? I suppose you called the builder of your house blaming the garage for your car having a flat tire? This stuff always amazes me. Thinking a beta is perfect and the manufacturer was wrong. By the way, did you not read the specs on the package before purchasing?

I have a bridge in Brooklyn you may be interested in...
    This is not an issue with an incompatible beta : THE TREO 700W WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH RAM TO RUN THE RELEASE VERSION OF ARGUABLY THE BEST MOBILE BROWSER. AND IT WON'T DO SO WELL WITH OTHER POWER APPS FOR WM.

FYI, I do not use a 700w. I tried it for two weeks when it first came out and quickly became tired of the 'cannot load page' errors I got with NetFront and the freezing up with <3 MB RAM left.

I now use a 6700 and can TRULY appreciate how this 'BETA' product is supposed to work. Although I suppose if I had never used a 6700, I would never have known what I was missing... (And BTW, I'm sure most 6700 owners will agree that even 64MB can seem to go in a hurry when running several power apps concurrently).
    I have a HTC Universal with 64MB RAM. I really miss the 128MB ram I had with the XDA 2 and my Loox 720. I wonder if PPCTechs do ram upgrades for the Universal?

Surur