Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    so what would be the other end of the spectrum in terms of free speech?

what would an overly moderated board look like?
    Beryl, HRlaser did not ask an illogical question. It also was not a threatening question. It also was not a my daddy's bigger than your daddy. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point. There was no personal attack.... had to throw that one in there. See, HRlaser's problem, and mine as well, is that when a subject piques his interest, he'll have a conversation that's a few levels above where the question was left, and then ask a question at that level.

so you said, i'm always suspicious.
    he thought to you "you mean all freeware has spyware?"
    You 'said', "no, i meant i'm just suspicious."
    he thought ot you "oh, but there is a possibility that spyware you're saying..."
    you'said' "yeah, that's what i mean."

And then he said, if there's any proof of spyware i'd like to see it. So you see, the logical coversation has happened, and you likely would have said those things and he still would have asked that question. So if that logical sequence would have happened, as you can see, you would have had a nice civil conversation and then he would have said the proof of the spyware bit.

I hope that clears up the conversation that you didn't have an allows you to see the logical progression at which he arrived at that statement and that it wasn't an attack on you personally.

BTW, HRlaser, that is an accurate assessment of the message board drama.
    Treo 650... 2 broken screens, doesn't sync well, and a jacked up audio jack, but it's still better than anything i've seen so far.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    May be funny, but go read unmoderated Usenet newsfroups (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsfroup).. for a few years and you'll find it's a classic pattern. (I've only been reading Usenet for about twenty years, so I'm kind of new at it)..
    I got you beat by a few years

25 years ago I was reading usenet newsgroups....and going through the agony of downloading and uudecoding binary images and executables....

I even wrote an implementation of the zmodem protocol for our VAX servers (they were only supporting kermit) so that interrupted DL's could be continued instead of starting over...

Ahh... memories

Good times, good times…
    USENET groups? Heck, I remember dialing up to BBSs on my IBM PC with a 10MB hard disk (upgraded from 2 floppies) at 300 bps. Ok, maybe I was 2 years old.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I think my first modem was 300 bps... or was it 150.... i dont remember.. that was back in 1984.
    well.... we had it rough, there were 27 of us living in shoebox in middle of road.....
    Treo 650... 2 broken screens, doesn't sync well, and a jacked up audio jack, but it's still better than anything i've seen so far.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    I think my first modem was 300 bps... or was it 150.... i dont remember.. that was back in 1984.
    ah memories...300 baud, was jealous of the people who had 1200 baud...bbs's, MUDS, phreakers, boxes, fun times...
    ...wow, pretty off topic, but hey, much more interesting thread.
    Last edited by plasmo; 04/09/2006 at 10:06 PM.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Modems? Bah. You were lucky! I filled out punch cards with pencels to make simple programs in my computer class in high school. Modems were too far out to even consider.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    LOL, I think heberman has us all beat.... so were mostly all old timers huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Modems? Bah. You were lucky! I filled out punch cards with pencels to make simple programs in my computer class in high school. Modems were too far out to even consider.
    Bah! You had a computer in high school? I had to go to college just to see my first computer (Billy Burroughs 6700 - 8K RAM room-sized super computer!) - and we used slide-rules in class because Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard hadn't invented portable calculators yet. Got my first TRS-80 (trash 80) in 1980 and my first "portable" in 1982: The Kaypro II ... with internal 300 baud modem.

And I agree Gex, Phil Katz's ZModem implementation was top notch back then.

Oh no - I'm becoming a reminescing old fart.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    .. which was "networked" to our office IBM System/36, a "mini-mainframe" that cost about $250,000.00...
    Imagine integrating S/36, S/38, 8100, S/370 with DISOSS (and PROFS on VM) - a CICS based email system which allowed all of these systems to talk and share mail in the 80s!

This was in the 80s so it must have been something I did as an AP elementary school project.
    Last edited by Beryl; 04/12/2006 at 12:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    dude, you guys are all old!
    No kidding gex - suddenly I'm feeling younger ... sort of.
    i loved kermit! i didn't like miss piggy though...

vi, vi, vi!
    In college I purchased a $1,200 new computer and splurged on a bigger hard drive - 20 megs. I knew I would never fill that up. I also paid extra for an amber monitor, which was a step up from a the green-text monitors. As for the mouse, I decided not to get one. They were used mostly for silly games.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12