Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    How is that even possible?

How do I reclaim that memory with anything short of a soft reset? I've seen tons of people saying they have something like 10-12MB open at any given time with very ltitle aps open...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheO.Z.

How do I reclaim that memory with anything short of a soft reset? I've seen tons of people saying they have something like 10-12MB open at any given time with very ltitle aps open...
    Soft reboot, there is no other way. Do it several times daily when you see this occur. There is a memory leak with this darn phone. I consistently go from 6 to 11. Also make sure you don't have tons of apps that are loading into memory.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    You know, even more than adding more RAM to the phone (as that other thread is discussing), plugging a memory leak like that is critical.

The NoDorkMemory thing is interesting... may very well try that.

Turning off Voice Command gets me back about 4mb
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzword
    Turning off Voice Command gets me back about 4mb
    unless I'm confused, voice command isn't (and hasn't ever) been on for my Treo... There's a checkbox that says "enabled" that's unchecked, a checkbox that says, "password protected" that's checked, and then a list of items that are checked (applications e.g., calendar, contacts, media, etc). But without the initial "enabled" I'd imagine that the feature was disabled, though who the heck knows
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Use the hack that was posted here. It works. Do a search for NeverDorkMemory and you will find the thread. I am able to have at any one time 4-5 programs open and have between 9-10 mb free. After I close them, I get close to 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    Use the hack that was posted here. It works. Do a search for NeverDorkMemory and you will find the thread. I am able to have at any one time 4-5 programs open and have between 9-10 mb free. After I close them, I get close to 12.
    I did it and I have no such luck. 11.5 MB after reboot and it creeps and shrinks from there thanks to some memory leak.
    Push email does the same to mine -- even with the hack.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Yeah personally, I have not seen a difference with the hack.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    after a soft reset i get over 15MB's of free memory so i would look at trying to figure out whats taking up the difference!
    guys ive done the hack and for ME it DOES work and now enjoying my treo even more!....i hardly ever soft reset anymore....actually since adding this hack ive only soft reset like once just to do it.....i have a TON of apps running and i run at about 8-11 mb.....before if i opened ANY app it would take away from the memory....then when i closed the app that memorey would never go back in or only a small percentage of it would be put back...now if i open any apps and run them, then close them, the memory goes right back and all of it!,,,,,its so nice to see more than 3mb on the today sreen lol
    Don't know what you have running. I see some serious memory leaks. Quitting all apps leaves me with 6-7 MB sometimes. Eventually this goes up to 9 or so. Soft reset and it's back to 10. Don't know what is causing it and I wish I knew what was loading at startup. The only changes to my interface are the SPB suite (Weather, Pocket Plus, Diary) and the Resco Today plugin. Can't imagine those 4 are sucking in so much power.

The hack doesn't do much. I added a key with that nodork name but don't really see much of a change.
    SPB probably needs the 64MB RAM devcies, sorry. They seem to be heavy programs. Resco Today plug-in, you can get away with. But I bet you all those SPB programs are dragging down the system, especially if you enabled all the plug-ins.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    treoshmeo - do you have any type of always-on app running (e.g. "push"-type email, Instant Messaging)? I have serious memory leaks going on during the work week when mail is constantly coming in. It is not so bad over the weekend.
    Last edited by Beryl; 04/08/2006 at 09:41 PM.
    unless I'm confused, voice command isn't (and hasn't ever) been on for my Treo... There's a checkbox that says "enabled" that's unchecked, a checkbox that says, "password protected" that's checked, and then a list of items that are checked (applications e.g., calendar, contacts, media, etc). But without the initial "enabled" I'd imagine that the feature was disabled, though who the heck knows
    Soft reset works for about a week. LOL! But is necessary. But in addition, also try moving programs to the SD card. Those that don't need to be in RAM can be moved.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Don't know what you have running. I see some serious memory leaks. Quitting all apps leaves me with 6-7 MB sometimes. Eventually this goes up to 9 or so. Soft reset and it's back to 10. Don't know what is causing it and I wish I knew what was loading at startup. The only changes to my interface are the SPB suite (Weather, Pocket Plus, Diary) and the Resco Today plugin. Can't imagine those 4 are sucking in so much power.

The hack doesn't do much. I added a key with that nodork name but don't really see much of a change.
    i have all the spb apps also...weather, pocketplus, gprs, time, blah blah blah....they are all running and still at around 11-13 with a soft reset and then hanging around 10 for the rest of the time.....the hack def worked for me...did you make sure you added the key being case sensitive?
    Quote Originally Posted by happypappy
    the hack def worked for me...did you make sure you added the key being case sensitive?
    I think so but I might try again. I think I did it right. After EVDO connects, usually it goes below 10MB but with the hack, it didn't dip below 10MB. However, as soon as mail was pushed out, the memory started leaking just as fast (or faster) as before.
    Quote Originally Posted by happypappy
    i have all the spb apps also...weather, pocketplus, gprs, time, blah blah blah....they are all running and still at around 11-13 with a soft reset and then hanging around 10 for the rest of the time.....the hack def worked for me...did you make sure you added the key being case sensitive?
    Yes - quite sure. The absolute best I'm getting when nothing is running is between 9 and 10 MB and then it goes away quickly and hangs down closer to 6-7 MB.

No wait... I take that back. After installing several games to the internal storage and SD card my memory now reads as.... 12MB after a soft reset. This is the most I have ever seen it run. Start several apps and then it goes down to 6-8 and there is nothing I can do to get the memory back except try a soft reset and see how much more I get. This is why I hate Windows Mobile...

ONe more problem that I am having frequently. When I open the programs window from the start button it takes forever to scroll. It hangs there, wait, wait, wait, wait, then the window fills the screen with the rest of the program icons. Not only is the wait interminable but there is also no option to view small icons or other view... like in Windows... and the Palm OS! Scroll, scroll, scroll....
    Last edited by treoshmeo; 04/09/2006 at 01:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Soft reset works for about a week. LOL! But is necessary. But in addition, also try moving programs to the SD card. Those that don't need to be in RAM can be moved.
    I was talking about RAM, not ROM. Moving anything to an SD card won't make a difference for usable RAM.
    I have to recommend CLOSEALL (search for the program). I now have a 6700 and I had about4 apps open, and closed them ALL through the task manager. It left me with 19MB free RAM. I ran CLOSEALL and immediately had increases my RAM to 23 MB. Thats FOUR MB's that were lost somehow. I assume programs aren't closing completely through the task manager, not sure. This was the first time I noticed this though...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast