Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have just hard reset my Treo 700w for the sixth time. I have tried to experiement with no reg hacks and no thrid party software too see if this had an issue with how unstable this unit is. Now keep in mind I was doing 3-4 soft resets a day.

I am now on day 2 with no soft resets because I did not lead any thrid party software or activestink. I just use the wireless sync feature- I can tell you the device is much more stable. The only thing that sucks is part of the fun of having a wm device is the thrid software you can add. However the lack of added third party has resulted in a much more stable phone.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Ya, not putting in 3rd party software on your 700w would be boring.
    I am not suprised that everything is much more stable with the bare bones device...I also just did my 6th or 7th hard reset yesterday, and I guess the good thing is that I am getting faster at re-loading only the "essential" programs after a clean hard wipe, which gets rid of the sluggishness that was previously there (sort of like what you experience after you re-install a fresh Windows OS on your computer)
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    I really need help with this. My phone works stable but is SLOW. I think it's generally the Treo 700w since others say that the XV6700 is much faster (it sure looked it when I used it) and doesn't have those little burps. Battery life is just "OK" and not even close to the 650... and I mean not even close. 650 battery was fantastic. Here are my suggestions to improve your use with the 700w:

1) Return the 700w and use your old 650 until something else comes out. Unfortunately not an option here.

2) Soft reboot, soft reboot, soft reboot. Incredible that I had 5.8MB free and it varied between 5 and 6.5. After soft reboot I have 11.8. That still sucks but there is a serious leakage problem that can only be addressed by soft rebooting a few times each day... and there is no remedy for that long startup time.

3) Need to remove system-type apps. I wish I knew those that were safe. I have 2 or 3 and they are indispensible. spb pocket plus is incredible, gives me that great short calendar on the today page and that great battery indicator tab at the top of the screen. I also use spb weather which is fantastic, and the great Resco Today plugin. That's it. Anyone use a very efficient one that puts your calendar on the home page concisely and without those F#@$ing scroll bars that WM requires everywhere?

4) Get more RAM and get a CPU booster. The former we hope PPCTechs will accomplish but the latter is just dealing with this dog of a processor. Using apps like Pocket Informant remind you how slow launching WM applications is. I'm told it won't burn out the average battery life too badly but it seemed to make the unit respond a little livelier.

5) Try to use apps from the same developer if you can. That hopefully will lead to consistency in development and compatibility across the board.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I really need help with this. My phone works stable but is SLOW. I think it's generally the Treo 700w since others say that the XV6700 is much faster (it sure looked it when I used it) and doesn't have those little burps. Battery life is just "OK" and not even close to the 650... and I mean not even close. 650 battery was fantastic. Here are my suggestions to improve your use with the 700w:

1) Return the 700w and use your old 650 until something else comes out. Unfortunately not an option here.

2) Soft reboot, soft reboot, soft reboot. Incredible that I had 5.8MB free and it varied between 5 and 6.5. After soft reboot I have 11.8. That still sucks but there is a serious leakage problem that can only be addressed by soft rebooting a few times each day... and there is no remedy for that long startup time.

3) Need to remove system-type apps. I wish I knew those that were safe. I have 2 or 3 and they are indispensible. spb pocket plus is incredible, gives me that great short calendar on the today page and that great battery indicator tab at the top of the screen. I also use spb weather which is fantastic, and the great Resco Today plugin. That's it. Anyone use a very efficient one that puts your calendar on the home page concisely and without those F#@$ing scroll bars that WM requires everywhere?

4) Get more RAM and get a CPU booster. The former we hope PPCTechs will accomplish but the latter is just dealing with this dog of a processor. Using apps like Pocket Informant remind you how slow launching WM applications is. I'm told it won't burn out the average battery life too badly but it seemed to make the unit respond a little livelier.

5) Try to use apps from the same developer if you can. That hopefully will lead to consistency in development and compatibility across the board.

Gee thanks for the handy tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    If you're looking for someone to pull a rabbit out of his a$$ then you've come to the right place. Unfortuately that still won't help.

1) Soft reset. Accept it or get a Treo 650.

2) Getting rid of useful system apps is an unfortunate reality. Keeping them consistent is as well. I'm having a devil of a time with this but it is what it is. The CPU booster is the only way to push a slow processor that has been on the market for a long time (see also Treo 650.)

Buy Palm, get last years and 4 years ago's technology at today's prices. Accept it or get another phone. Sorry pal.
    I use Xcpuscalar to overclock the CPU to make the speed acceptable.

Every single thing I can put on the memory card, I put there.

I have to soft-reset occassionally, but that's WM...

Still ecstatic at not having to carry a phone, a PPC, and a BlackBerry.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I don't have to soft reset with the 700 as much as I did with the 650. With the 650, I probably did a reset at least once a day. What really sucked is when I couldn't make or receive calls until I did a reset. Totally useless. With the 700 I maybe reset 1-2 times a week if that.

The 700 is a very capable phone. I agree it has issues, but getting a different phone is not going to solve the problem. All PDA phones have issues.

And telling someone to accept it or get a 650 is not going to solve anything. Other than the fact they won't be visting the 700 board to whine but the 650's instead.
    The 700w is the slowest pda that I have ever owned and is also the least stable. My phone locks up everyday. I have some 3rd party software but not a lot. Every program that I've installed has been listed as working with the 700w. If I can't install any additional software then what's the point? Anyway, my 700w goes on ebay on Monday and back to the 650 I go. And don't even get me started on Activesync problems!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lankox
    I have some 3rd party software but not a lot. Every program that I've installed has been listed as working with the 700w.
    Where? Both Pocketgear and Handango erroneously list software claiming to be 700w compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by lankox
    Anyway, my 700w goes on ebay on Monday and back to the 650 I go.
    Buh-bye. Enjoy your trouble-free POS devices.
  10.    #10  
    i dont care if they claim its "treo 700w" compatible- this phone is faster and more stable without activestync or 3rd party software. Reg hacks are fun and cool but I believe they screw up the system. Also leaving the lookup bar on the today screen has reduced today screen lockups a bit. Trust me, this piece of crap still isnt perfect by any means, but it's definitly better without the extra apps and reg hacks. Since my 15 days are up- IM going bare bones till treo comes out with something else. Then off to ebay this miserable hunk of shi* goes.
    Wait for Palm to release something new??
    You might be stuck with the 700w for a while, unless you're willing to go back to Palm OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12.    #12  
    oh Im not holding breath...whenever it happens it happens. Even the worlds worst pda the samsung i730 is still getting $400+ dollars on ebay

The sad thing is Treoschmeo probably was correct about 2, 3 and 4! SBP and Resco apps probably slow down a 32MB RAM device, since the plug-ins must be installed in RAM! And I have to soft reset due to memory leakage on another 32MB RAM WM5 device. When you only have 32, that's what happens.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by olympus1
    Reg hacks are fun and cool but I believe they screw up the system.
    That is true and untrue at the same time. Whenever you make any change to the settings in any program, you are more than likely simply using an interface to make a reg hack for you. A lot of reg hacks are just making similiar adjustments, but without the interface. Many are actually very healthy and beneficial. And yes others are just cool and fun.

The point is, the reg can actually be a huge benefit over Palm OS. If you want to make an adjustment to your Palm OS you need someone to write an app to it for your most of the times. With WM, a lot of times you just have to enable or disable something in the reg by changing a 1 to a 0, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    The sad thing is Treoschmeo probably was correct about 2, 3 and 4! SBP and Resco apps probably slow down a 32MB RAM device, since the plug-ins must be installed in RAM! And I have to soft reset due to memory leakage on another 32MB RAM WM5 device. When you only have 32, that's what happens.
    I think your comments are sadly all too true. I personally was a little anxious to see a WM Treo when they first announced it and if the specs where right, I was willing to jump down to such a small screen. But man, Palm really short sheeted this device with only 32 MB.
    I have had my Treo 700 for three months now. It is pretty stable. I do not use a lot of apps. I use xcpuscaler to speed it up a bit, ewallet, GSplayer and that is about it. Occasionally I have to do a soft reset. Otherwise, it just works.
    I know someone who has been testing the MSFP update. He is saying the memory leak has been fixed. This should help greatly when we get this in a few weeks.
    I don't have to soft reset with the 700 as much as I did with the 650. With the 650, I probably did a reset at least once a day. What really sucked is when I couldn't make or receive calls until I did a reset. Totally useless. With the 700 I maybe reset 1-2 times a week if that.
    I don't understand why. I had loads of stuff on the 650 and once I got the right apps in there with current versions, it worked great - except for the rare registry bug that reset and blanked the registrations. The 600 may have been a tad reliable. Either your phone had a hardware defect or perhaps a software issue.

The 700 is a very capable phone. I agree it has issues, but getting a different phone is not going to solve the problem. All PDA phones have issues.

And telling someone to accept it or get a 650 is not going to solve anything. Other than the fact they won't be visting the 700 board to whine but the 650's instead.
    Actually, we know issues with the 700w and it's not just manufacturing variances. Either you accept them or move on unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I don't understand why. I had loads of stuff on the 650 and once I got the right apps in there with current versions, it worked great - except for the rare registry bug that reset and blanked the registrations. The 600 may have been a tad reliable. Either your phone had a hardware defect or perhaps a software issue.

Actually, we know issues with the 700w and it's not just manufacturing variances. Either you accept them or move on unfortunately.
    I have had my 700w since the first week it came out and only have to do a hard reset once a week. Here is a list of programs that I have installed:

Concrete Software Aces Texas Holdem
    XCPUScaler
    Microsot Global Contact Access...
    Birdseye All-In Hold'em
    June Fabrics PDA Net
    Fizz Traveler
    Crazy Daisy
    Piscal Viewer
    Scrabble

In addition to this I use Activesync to synch over 800 contacts, countless calendar entries and 2 weeks worth of e-mail (full body with attachments) using AUTD.

Yes I get low on memory, but with what I have intallsed, the OS does a good job shutting down apps to free up memory. I have no clue why I don't experiance the problems you have but I will say that this phone, for me and the way I use it is the best PPC phone I have owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    I have had my 700w since the first week it came out and only have to do a hard reset once a week. Here is a list of programs that I have installed:
    Did you mean a hard reset or soft reset? A weekly hard reset is kind of drastic. I wind up doing a hard reset about once a month but usually due to my tendency to never leave well enough alone and messing too much with adding programs I don't need and tweaking things I have no right playing with. Thank God for Sprite backup :-)

Neil
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast