Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    A lot of my WM buddies actually despise Palm for some reason...and refuse to even give the 700w a shot...
    A lot of it comes down to something similar to the Win vs MAC feelings. Now that MAC is able to run Win, many Win loyalists will still find it hard to use MAC hardware because of years of prejudice outlook toward MAC.....even if it is the best WinXP option for what they want to do!

As for me, I am a power user and I look for what phone can do the best job for what I need to do. I don't care if it is PalmOS or WM. If Palm, HP, Audoivox, etc... makes (or brands) it. If a company constantly makes the best devices I buy from them. If someone passes them up with a better device for my needs, I buy that one. Right now it is WM and the PPC-660x series. But I am looking for my next one coming down the line as we speak. Pretty simple really.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Does you company use Exchange Server? Surely they would support Direct Push once that comes out in a few weeks....
    Sometimes I wish we did use Exchange. We use Domino Notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I'm thinking of performance. 6MB isn't slow?
    No why would performance be slow? Everything needed to run is already running in ram. The only time I see performance issues is when the memory drop below 1MB (thanks to the memory leak) hence my soft resets once a week.
    I am getting mixed issues with one application -- these all in one today screens like SBH Diary and SBSH Pocket Breeze. Both of them may be responsible for bigger memory leaks and are also what may cause the Today screen to crawl when you get back there. It's yanking all the information from your contacts/calendar/etc. to have ready on demand. I'm not happy because apparently limiting the information doesn't help that much. All I want is the ability to set up my agenda to see appointments of the next two days and tasks that are needed in one, concise screen that is streamlined. I used to be able to do this with Agendus for Palm but I can't find much for WM5, calendar and tasks only.

The other apps are also challenging. All the integration into toolbars, etc. like the MP3 player I downloaded (Pocket Player) can really slow down the phone too. I'm trying to see what I can do to get rid of integrated apps.
    They both run fine on my PPC-6600 and fine on the PPC-6700. I wonder if it has something to do not enought memory?

It might help to browse thru the WM Forum to see if anyone else is having the same program, or if they were able to get them to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    ...The only time I see performance issues is when the memory drop below 1MB (thanks to the memory leak) hence my soft resets once a week....

I use SPB Backup and have it set to do a soft reset after a backup (On my SD card). This is all done at midnight so i never worry about back ups and resets and has worked flawlessly for over a month.
    I like that idea but I have password protection on my device. That is one of the things I like about earlier versions of Sprite -- they didn't force soft resets.

WM5 speedy backups make up for that though.
    The resets are needed because the backup programs shut down all runing services before the backup begins.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/10/2006 at 01:04 AM.
    My 700 is the most stable right now than it has ever been. I have had the phone for about 3 months now and it definatly has issues... Nothing that is going to make me get rid of it or make me hate it or MS OS. I am currantly using 3 third party apps. 1.Resco explorer witch is installed on the phone. 2. Sprite backup witch is installed on my SD card and 3. Adobe reader witch is on my SD card also. I am using 2 reg. hacks witch are NeverDorkMemory and one that makes the scroll bars smaller... NeverDork has helped hold the memory, almost like it helped stop the memory leak. With everything that is there i stay at about 11mb, give or take 1mb and now have zero problems with the phone.
  11.    #51  
    Budman- let me ask you...how many minutes do you average a month?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    No why would performance be slow? Everything needed to run is already running in ram. The only time I see performance issues is when the memory drop below 1MB (thanks to the memory leak) hence my soft resets once a week.

You don't get memory warnings at 6MB? Well that's good, but I really hate to let my device drop below 9MB. And I'd freak at 1MB!!! Looks like you got one of the good 700s! Don't let it get away!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I am getting mixed issues with one application -- these all in one today screens like SBH Diary and SBSH Pocket Breeze. Both of them may be responsible for bigger memory leaks and are also what may cause the Today screen to crawl when you get back there. It's yanking all the information from your contacts/calendar/etc. to have ready on demand. I'm not happy because apparently limiting the information doesn't help that much. All I want is the ability to set up my agenda to see appointments of the next two days and tasks that are needed in one, concise screen that is streamlined. I used to be able to do this with Agendus for Palm but I can't find much for WM5, calendar and tasks only.

The other apps are also challenging. All the integration into toolbars, etc. like the MP3 player I downloaded (Pocket Player) can really slow down the phone too. I'm trying to see what I can do to get rid of integrated apps.

Try posting a list of all your apps and maybe someone can help you decide what to move to the card. And also maybe what you can delete.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Try posting a list of all your apps and maybe someone can help you decide what to move to the card. And also maybe what you can delete.
    Thanks and good idea. I've confirmed the following: SPB makes the best looking and pleasing software, hands down. Unfortunately SPB Diary is also bloated and doesn't allow you to get rid of the tabs. As a result I noticed it sucks at least 1 full MB of RAM every time it loads up and can cause the 700w Today screen to crawl when more apps are loaded. As a result I will be using SBSH software, even though their look is not nearly as good and their preferences are listed in absolutely maddening fashion. Not only is it more "programmerish" in look and feel you can't do some simple things, e.g. truncate each line of your calendar instead of it spilling to line 2. I also couldn't find an easy way to have the calendar on top followed by todos, although I think I figured out a way to do this. I also decided I don't need a double battery indicator, internal RAM, etc. on my Today screen. Battery on top is enough. Truth is that the problem isn't storage, it's program memory... damned Palm.

SBSH: Weather, PocketBreeze
    SPH: Pocket Plus (hands down, totally essential)
    Poco: Voice Recorder (must shut down all the Today/top nav integration crap)
    Vito Tech: Button Mapper
    Socket GoWiFi300: WiFi stuff for card
    TCPMP
    Pocket Streamer
    LingvoSoft dictionaries
    Resco Registry Editor, Picture Viewer, Explorer, Radio
    Repligo
    iSilo
    Pocket Informant (this app is a slow dog)
    HanDbase
    Pocket Streets
    eWallet
    Protone Voice Recorder
    AIM
    Dinarsoft MemMaid
    ListPro
    Handmark Dictionaries

That's pretty much it. No heavy lifting for the system memory. Got rid of the Resco Today plugin (not sure where I got it from but the best I've seen), iLauncher, and SPB Diary and Weather.
    For some reason I keep thinking when you have lot of programs loaded on the device itself, they all suck up RAM even when inactive. It seemed to happen to me.

For some reason I keep thinking when you have lot of programs loaded on the device itself, they all suck up RAM even when inactive. It seemed to happen to me.
    This is more true then you think and the reason I try to install the majority of my 3rd party apps to the SD card. My rule of thumb is to only install system critical apps (today plugins, system tools, etc..) in the system ROM everything else gets intalled to the SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by olympus1
    Budman- let me ask you...how many minutes do you average a month?

I think i average between 800 - 1000 minutes. Could be a little less.
    i don't have any secrets to my treo's success other than I must have been fortunate to have purchased one of the "good ones." the only third party app i run is Goodlink and i still yet to incur a problem with Activesync. Goodlink does use a good amount of memory but it should be somewhat remedied once the official Treo700w supported version is released. I like this Treo like I did my first 600 and second 650, it works just fine for me, then aagain, I don't require much out of it.
  19.    #59  
    well Budman that is why your phone works so well. Try doing 4000-5000 minutes a month on this thing and then tell me how good it works. IM not trying to be disrepectfull in anyway but IM telling you flat out if you are a power user for minutes this probably one of the worst phones ever made. Your phone only works well because you hardly use it. Its a better PDA than it is a phone.
    Ya, actually i think i only use the phone about 6 to 8 hundred minutes a month. I probably use it more for my daily e-mails and my work files that i have to fill out in a days time. Maybe im lucky that i dont use it that much because with the little tweaks that ive done to it, it works quite well.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast