Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    well as a PDA- loading apps wont do too much damage- its when you use the phone function is where all the problems start showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink57
    Did you mean a hard reset or soft reset? A weekly hard reset is kind of drastic. I wind up doing a hard reset about once a month but usually due to my tendency to never leave well enough alone and messing too much with adding programs I don't need and tweaking things I have no right playing with. Thank God for Sprite backup :-)

Neil
    I have not done a single HARD reset since I got the phone. I do a SOFT reset about once pre week
    Here's another piece of advice and I will have to do this. Install the apps as you want as a test. Deinstall them at times to get back needed space. Make a final list of the ones you want. There will be so much cap left all over the phone, stray files, etc. Hard reset the phone to delete everything in there. Now reinstall all the apps you want. You will have a cleaner install.

I deinstalled spb pocket plus. Much was screwed up and IE doesn't work properly - I get "error opening the shortcut or locating the target" all the time now. It's a great app as are the others but i may use SBSH based upon recommendations I read elsewhere. Honestly, Windows Mobile is a huge mess. It's WIndows versus Mac, same issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Here's another piece of advice and I will have to do this. Install the apps as you want as a test. Deinstall them at times to get back needed space. Make a final list of the ones you want. There will be so much cap left all over the phone, stray files, etc. Hard reset the phone to delete everything in there. Now reinstall all the apps you want. You will have a cleaner install.
    Great Advice! After a 11 month long install with my phone, I did exactly what you said as my phone starting to lag a lot. It is now very fast again with only the programs and game that I use.

Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I deinstalled spb pocket plus. Much was screwed up and IE doesn't work properly - I get "error opening the shortcut or locating the target" all the time now. It's a great app as are the others but i may use SBSH based upon recommendations I read elsewhere.
    Did you have script errors enabled? If so chances are that is what you were seeing. Believe me it is annoyning as heck! I always have it disabled.
  5.    #25  
    stay clear of reg hacks- wm5 devices like the axim could handle it- this thing can't. There fun and cool but it screws up the device
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Guess I should put in my exp with the phone... granted I have a lot of other PDA's (all WM)

Since this is my phone first and foremost it stays clean and mean. I use it for mainly email/contact/calendar...

Second.. I use it for some entertaining diversions such as web browsing, news info, and multimedia..

I cant say that there hasn't been a hiccup once or twice but so far I have been very pleased.

After a soft reset I get over 15MB's of memory...Anytime i have to uninstall a program I do a hard reset and load everything from scratch... I don't trust those backup and recovery programs.

Since I only use two or three apps and Exchange Activesync (never desktop activesync) it is easy for me to get my device back from a hard reset.

In daily use with only my standard apps I have never HAD to do a soft reset...I always see people post that they do daily or weekly soft resets and I wonder to myself what the heck is going on.

----------------------------
    Ok, this is all i have on my device:

eWallet
    Newsbreak
    GSPlayer
    Piscel PDF reader

I disable everything I can that can take up a process or memory...from a hard reset I turn off error reporting and receive all incoming beams. I also disable as many home screen pluggins as possible. I only keep the email and calendar Today Screen pluggins.

I then config Exchange Activesync to get back my contacts, tasks and calendar. I set it up to always keep me up to date (for email, etc) at all times so Im synced up with all my stuff on the server.

Turning on the Voice Command will take up a good 2-3MB's of memory so I don't turn that on...although it would be cool to have I just don't use it enough..

I think thats it.... under this config I never have to soft or hard reset.
    I have to agree about not using Voice Command programs on low RAM devices. All those types of programs are huge RAM hogs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    I have had my 700w since the first week it came out and only have to do a hard reset once a week. Here is a list of programs that I have installed:

Concrete Software Aces Texas Holdem
    XCPUScaler
    Microsot Global Contact Access...
    Birdseye All-In Hold'em
    June Fabrics PDA Net
    Fizz Traveler
    Crazy Daisy
    Piscal Viewer
    Scrabble

In addition to this I use Activesync to synch over 800 contacts, countless calendar entries and 2 weeks worth of e-mail (full body with attachments) using AUTD.

Yes I get low on memory, but with what I have intallsed, the OS does a good job shutting down apps to free up memory. I have no clue why I don't experiance the problems you have but I will say that this phone, for me and the way I use it is the best PPC phone I have owned.

You can install some of those programs on the SD card. Only certain types of programs really need to run on the device.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hobbes - I think my errors were SPB related. I decided to put the SPB stuff back in and take the SBSH stuff out. It may be a little leaner but not nearly as well designed both visually and featurewise. What I like about SPB which is a must for the 700w is that you can get compact versions of just about everything but it's not so easy with SBSH. The today plugin for SPB though stinks because it's a space waster so I use Resco Today plugin to give me one tiny, slim line that has the battery and space on all 3 memory areas displayed.

The phone is still a bit slow. I will have to do the hard reset and clean reinstall I mentioned, as much as I hate to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    You can install some of those programs on the SD card. Only certain types of programs really need to run on the device.
    Thanks for clarifying this for me . Yes as a rule of thumb, I install everything I can to the SD card and only install system tools and today screen apps directly to the device.

That being said, with all of this installed, I still only soft reset once a week...

And yes I have Voice Command enabled and I use it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Where? Both Pocketgear and Handango erroneously list software claiming to be 700w compatible.

Buh-bye. Enjoy your trouble-free POS devices.

The software listed in this forum as well as pdaphonehome forums.

I never said the 650 was trouble-free, but it certainly wasn't as problematic as the 700w. It is amazing that people are defending the 700w by stating they have zero problems with no 3rd party installed. That might be ok for some, but for me that is not an option.

I'm also amazed at how defensive some get when their pda of choice is criticized. You would think that I just criticized their mom or kid.

Beryl, this is for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    Thanks for clarifying this for me . Yes as a rule of thumb, I install everything I can to the SD card and only install system tools and today screen apps directly to the device.

That being said, with all of this installed, I still only soft reset once a week...

And yes I have Voice Command enabled and I use it all the time.
    How much RAM is left with VC running? I couldn't use it. It ate up too much for my satisfaction. This wasn't on the 700w I have to admit, but the RAM is the same. Soon I'll be moving to 64MB RAM devices only.

How much RAM is left with VC running? I couldn't use it. It ate up too much for my satisfaction. This wasn't on the 700w I have to admit, but the RAM is the same. Soon I'll be moving to 64MB RAM devices only.
    Right now, I have the following programs running:

Activesync
    Outlook E-Mail
    Calendar
    Pictures & Video
    Internet Explorer

I currently have 6MB free.

Now, if I continue to run everything that is listed and add in WMP10 I drop to just over 4.41MB of ram free.
    6MB? I am chicken about letting it run that low.

6MB? I am chicken about letting it run that low.
    See I have no issues with it getting that low. Memory that is just sitting not being used is just wasting battery space. The OS "should" be able to close down applications as needed to free up memory.

Ie... Do I really care if my inbox gets closed if I launch a movie etc...
    I'm thinking of performance. 6MB isn't slow?

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lankox
    It is amazing that people are defending the 700w by stating they have zero problems with no 3rd party installed. That might be ok for some, but for me that is not an option.
    Not defending here... just realizing this devices limitations and using it successfully for its primary intended purpose... a phone and email/contacts device with some additional PDA features.

This is not a great do it all PDA! It has serious limitations and once those are known and you can accept them it is a great convergence device!

If I want a powerful PDA I have that in other devices...but for my primary means of communications (cut the landline back in 98) I need something that is VERY reliable.

So far Out-Of-The-Box the 700w has met that goal for me.

If I had to do a soft reset once a day... or even once a week I would rather have a normal phone and a dedicated PDA... or actually I would get a WM Smartphone (no touch screen/word/excel/powerpoint/terminal services on WM Smartphones) as those are very reliable too.

I think we all agree that this device is lacking in memory and because of that...if you are looking for something that can run all your third party programs you should perhaps look at some of the devices that come with 64MB's of memory.... but for god's sake dont go back to the PalmOS!!

(j/k on the PalmOS as I cant comment how good/bad it is other that the constant complaints others talk about....hey I was nice and didnt type POS! )
    Quote Originally Posted by lankox
    I'm also amazed at how defensive some get when their pda of choice is criticized. You would think that I just criticized their mom or kid.

Beryl, this is for you!
    Be careful, your eyes might get stuck like that!

Criticize to your hearts content. It is only a phone, for goodness sake. I have no stock in Palm, MS or VZW and don't care.

It will probably surprise you to read that I may dump my Treo 700w soon! I don't think anyone here really wants to hear about it though. I think most Treo 700w users want to know how to optimize the use of their chosen device.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    It will probably surprise you to read that I may dump my Treo 700w soon!
    What for!??! The Moto Q?

No loyalty here for the 700w either.. the minute something better comes out im there!

That's the problem for Palm in the WM world.. they are not the only playa and if they dont keep us happy we have no loyalty to them

A lot of my WM buddies actually despise Palm for some reason...and refuse to even give the 700w a shot...
    Not feeling the Q, gex. I'm not impressed with the WM Smartphone OS but would switch to a WM phone that supports Blackberry Connect. I'm sick of these redirectors and want a company mail service that my IT org supports.

I'd also consider returning to POS if the right device emerges. I've only been away from POS for 15 months and still miss Snappermail and the other cool POS apps that don't have WM equivalents. (Styletap isn't working for me.)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast