Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    I believe you are incorrect with this statement. The way I understand it, MSFT Created the OS and set the minimum specs, in this case 32 MB is the minimum. It is then up to the device manufacturers to develop and create the devices. I am sure MS has some input, but it is ultimately the device manufacturers call as to the fianl specs of the device.
    You just said yourself that MSFT created the option of 32.

They should have made it 64 minimum.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    You just said yourself that MSFT created the option of 32.

They should have made it 64 minimum.

It was Palm's call, plain and simple to use 32 MB. MS set the minimum at 32 MB and Palm decided to go against what every other WM device manufacturer have done.
    Well I agree that Palm cheaped out, believe me I know that Palm is cheap when it comes to the Treos!!! But they would have had no choice but to use 64 if MSFT had set 64 as the minimum. That is what I've been trying to say.

I still place most of the blame on Palm because they should have known after the 650 that memory is a big issue. They should have known what it would take to operate WM5 efficiently. Didn't they do any research???

I'm only saying that MSFT shouldn't even have allowed the minimum that low for manufacturers.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/13/2006 at 05:08 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Palm made a big thing of the amount of freedom they demanded from MS regarding their implementation of the Treo 700w. Apparently this is a freedom the other OEM's do not have. Maybe even more of the blame should be laid at Palm's feet.

Surur

I'm only saying that MSFT shouldn't even have allowed the minimum that low for manufacturers.
    and I fully disagree with this statement. What you should be saying is that MS should not have allowed PALM to release the Treo 700w with 32MB of Ram.

I can definately see a low end PPC for around $150 with WM5 and 32mb of ram. Possibly for college/high school students or for an entry level device. There definately is the market for a 32mb device, but NOT the 700w!
    Any chance Palm will still get bought out by someone who knows how to make GOOD decisions? There was speculation about 2 months ago, but nothing since then.

I can definately see a low end PPC for around $150 with WM5 and 32mb of ram. Possibly for college/high school students or for an entry level device. There definately is the market for a 32mb device, but NOT the 700w!
    I fully agree with this....and have actually posted very similar comments in the past.

But I bet MS might see this as competing their Smartphone OS market.
    and I fully disagree with this statement. What you should be saying is that MS should not have allowed PALM to release the Treo 700w with 32MB of Ram. I agree with this!!

But did you ever use the rx1950 line? That's the only other 32MB RAM WM5 device that I ever saw. That IS the low end entry level PPC and it's not that great with only 32. It's acceptable ONLY. What's funny is you have all the good apps(full Pocket Office, MSN, PIE) but barely enough RAM to run them. Of course, it didn't help that the processor is also slow. But I think 32MB should just be a big NO for all manufacturers.

But did you ever use the rx1950 line? That's the only other 32MB RAM WM5 device that I ever saw. That IS the low end entry level PPC and it's not that great with only 32. It's acceptable ONLY. What's funny is you have all the good apps(full Pocket Office, MSN, PIE) but barely enough RAM to run them. Of course, it also didn't help that the processor is also slow. But I think 32MB should just be a big NO for all manufacturers.
    And again I would put this as bad hardware design on HP's part.
    Would a faster processor really help the lack of RAM? That's the only hardware mistake that I can see.

Oh yeah, and no BT.

Would a faster processor really help the lack of RAM? That's the only hardware mistake that I can see.

Oh yeah, and no BT.
    The faster processor would help and removal of software that HP adds would also help. Also if the pricepoint is set properly then the price/performace might be right on par. ie, if you pay $100 for it then maybe it's ok not to perform like a device with 64mb.
    Bottom line really is that Palm plans to sell a Treo750w with more RAM in 18 months as their product cycle moves on. They go cheap and aim for incremental upgrades. Yes it works but not as they promised or intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    Bottom line really is that Palm plans to sell a Treo750w with more RAM in 18 months as their product cycle moves on. They go cheap and aim for incremental upgrades. Yes it works but not as they promised or intended.
    And that is why their 750w may get hosed if the product cycles of other companies will be out in time. It seems that Palm has been using it's formerly superior form factor to skimp on what's under the hood. Thankfully Fujitsu (I think it is), Motorola HP and several others are going to teach Palm a lesson. If the Q and the Loox come out shortly, people might start looking at the 750w and say "big deal" and actually also be talking about how big the Treo is too in comparison... and late to the market...
    I agree. They cannot afford to wait and say the form factor is what counts the most when others will mimic its design etc. They also need to recognize the WM users are not as forgiving as PalmOS users.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123