1.    #1  
    I'm about to switch over to Verizon and get a Treo 700w (I know it's buggy, but I've been using WM for a while and I'm used to it), and I wanted to know one thing before I do. When the phone is on standby, does it still remain connected to the internet? Right now I'm using Cingular's 8125 handset which always stays connected to its GPRS internet so I can still receive my email notifications while the phone is on standby. I'm not sure how Verizon's internet works, so I don't know if it can do this. If it stays connected to the internet when the phone is on standby, does it disconnect when I make/receive a call? I'd really appreciate it if somebody could answer this.. thanks!
    I love to have it always connected it there was a a way...but it always seemes to shut down after a while
  3.    #3  
    I know ActiveSync always disconnects any WM device from whatever internet it's on, but I don't plan on using ActiveSync... too much of a hassle. Does it disconnect for reasons other than connecting it to your computer?
    it stays connected for a while. i dont know how long. you can tap on the EV icon at the top of screen and manually disconnect. thats what i always do to save battery.
    Here's the story on this:

It seems as though Verizon has configured the 700w to disconnect after an application finishes using the EV-DO connection. Whether this is an app issue, Windows Mobile issue, or pure Verizon issue is unknown to me at the moment, but should become more clear when Spring releases the 700. What I can tell you is that there are three ways to accomplish what you want on the 700w today, meaning always on connection.

1.) Reg hack to keep connection online when idle. Search around the forums, it's here. It was originally for the 6600 or 6700 PPC's, but works on our phone too. Only issue is, the reg setting won't survive a soft reset.

2.) Under the settings tab (network connections or something in there), you can tell the 700w to connect to the EV-DO network indepdent of any apps using the network connection. Meaning you can force a connect. It will stay connected until either an app forces the connection to end (some apps do this, which is REALLY annoying) or you soft reset or go into flight mode. This applies to item 1 above as well I think.

3.) Use OTA Exchange ActiveSync or some other program which keeps polling/listening/talking/using the network connection at least once every X minutes (not sure the exact timeout) and it will keep it idle and active. I use Exchange OTA ActiveSync with the SMS push (AUTD) today with 4smartphone.net hosted exchange, and because it's always receiving emails during the day, 95% of the time my EV-DO connection is active and idle, so when I launch IE, it's "waiting for me". Also makes IM'ing better since I'm consistently online.

Adam
  6.    #6  
    Great, I use Marsware's WeatherPanel on my Cingular 8125. I think it downloads information every 15 minutes. So that would keep it alive?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    The only app. that I've used that disconnected my data connection was checking a POP email account in Messaging. I no longer use my POP account, having all my email go through an Exchange server. As a result my data connection stays connected, but dormant, when not in use unless I manually disconnect it.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    yanye - Probably, unless that app specifically closes the connection when it's done.

smeg36 - Same as I have now with Exchange. I'm normally dormant, which is nice.
    Personaly I just leave Agile Messenger open if I want the connection to stay on.

Other times, it just connects and disconnects to check my email.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    Personaly I just leave Agile Messenger open if I want the connection to stay on.
    Cool, so how does that end up working? Does Agile disconnect and/or cause problems when making or receiving a call? That's what I loved about the T-Mobile SideKick (actually, the ONLY thing good about it) - it was constantly connected to a very solid AIM Client and NEVER disconnected until you actually told it to or turned the phone off. Phone calls didn't sign you off.
    Since it's CDMA, if your using the connection it will go to an idle mode when taking/making a phone call. Once your done, it connects right back up. Your SideKick, or any GSM phone for that matter, doesn't have to disconnect as it can do both at the same time.

So I dunno, some people see it disconnecting as an issue. I really don't... I don't have the urge to watch bloomberg or something while on the phone. And being in the US, where EV-DO is the quickest thing you can get right now, I'd prefer the extra speed over EDGE even if I can't surf & talk at the same time.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

Other times, it just connects and disconnects to check my email.
    Have you upgraded to the newly released beta version (from alpha) of Agile Messenger on your 700w? I couldn't get the beta version to work....
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Yes I'm running the newest beta. Got the upgrade notice when running the alpha and upgraded. The problem is, when you upgrade it will say "old version will be uninstalled first" if you click ok, that never happens and it doesnt upgrade. So what I had to do, was once it says old version will be uninstalled, was to open task manager and click stop all; so agile isnt running... (the upgrade process will be there still though); then just manually uninstall it. Go back to the upgrade process and let it continue.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Yes I'm running the newest beta. Got the upgrade notice when running the alpha and upgraded. The problem is, when you upgrade it will say "old version will be uninstalled first" if you click ok, that never happens and it doesnt upgrade. So what I had to do, was once it says old version will be uninstalled, was to open task manager and click stop all; so agile isnt running... (the upgrade process will be there still though); then just manually uninstall it. Go back to the upgrade process and let it continue.
    Thanks for the info - that was a smart thing to do-

I actually had to hard reset my device yesterday, and started reinstalling my original programs. Did you install the Agile beta to your main memory, or SD card?
    Also, do you think I should download the alpha first, then do what you did above to install the beta--- or download the beta direct from Agile's website and install directly the beta version first?
    The reason I say the latter is that prior to Hard resetting, I tried uninstalling Agile alpha release, then installing Beta version, but after what appeared to be a complete install, it hung after the splash screen and froze the 700w.

Anyway, thanks.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    I have it installed to the main memory and I would download the beta directly if your installing all your software again anyway; it might save you some time.