1.    #1  
    I see many people having problems. Not enough memory, lock ups needing to reset, cant run multiple apps and so on.
    Is this a SW problem that could be addressed or is this just a buggy version.
    I want one,actually I need one but dont want to get into a dog,
    Please advise
    I have it. It works all the time. Just keep your apps that are running closed as much as possible. No issue. Zero. Very Happy
    Mine works great. I agree with quayman. You need to make sure you monitor the open applications. Easier to do when you have a utility that actually closes the application when you exit. Pocket Plus & Wisbar are probably the best options for this.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    I'm happy with mine. This is my first device other than just a reg. cell phone. There has been a few problems, but nothing really that severe. This forum really helps. I'm sure the entire platform will improve with upgrades. Even working around the problems has helped get me familiar with a complicated device. I'm grateful for the knowledge. Eventually, I'm sure it will be plug and play easy, but it's not a bad thing to have become familar with the OS and other workings of the Treo.

I'm convinced that this Treo is the device type the Mr. Gates eluded to a few years ago when he said there will be a handheld form factor that will become such an integrated part of most ppl's lives, that eventually they will wonder how they ever got along without it.

Take the plunge - you won't regret it.
    I had a Treo 650. Compared to my experience with it, the 700 has more "issues" at the moment, but keep in mind, it's just a few months old. The 650 had a ridiculous number of bugs and issues when it first came out as well. That, and, the 700 with Windows Mobile is _far_ more flexible, advanced, and expandable than PalmOS. It's also full of eye candy. Bottom line, get the 700. And do you part in sending emails to Palm and Verizon telling them to fix the damn bugs! (Oh, don't forgot Microsoft too)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamt
    I had a Treo 650. Compared to my experience with it, the 700 has more "issues" at the moment, but keep in mind, it's just a few months old. The 650 had a ridiculous number of bugs and issues when it first came out as well. That, and, the 700 with Windows Mobile is _far_ more flexible, advanced, and expandable than PalmOS. It's also full of eye candy. Bottom line, get the 700. And do you part in sending emails to Palm and Verizon telling them to fix the damn bugs! (Oh, don't forgot Microsoft too)
    Get the Motorola Q. As much as I hate Smartphones I'll list you the reasons why:

1) I agree with this poster somewhat. There is a lot of eye candy on the 700w. That's the problem. It's like a pretty girl with no brains who is really slow... at first it's really cool but then you get irritated easily once the initial lure isn't so fresh. This is caused by WM5 but even more by the 700w's 32MB or RAM. Nobody was stupid and greedy enough to do this except for Palm and WM really needs the memory. No software can fix this. Anyone who says "all you need to do is monitor apps" is full of it because WM is supposed to be multitasking. If I wanted single task, quick open and shut applications I would have stuck with the PALM!!! The 700w can get very slow and quite often. It also is the slowest processor on the market.

2) The 240x240 screen is both not bad for pictures (just fine, really), video (so-so) but for other tasks WM5 this horrible and Palm hasn't added items to make it usable. There are scroll bars in several applications that take up at least 1/8-1/6 the screen space. This may not seem like a lot but add it all up and you're viewing a 160x160 area -- top bars, bottom bars, side scroll bars, insane. Some smart apps got rid of the scroll bars fortunately. The difference between a 320x240 device and a 240x240 device is COLOSSAL. This is evidently because WM is not efficient in any way and the liberty it takes with screen space works OK on a 320x240 but does not translate well into this device.

3) Lack of built in WiFi. This isn't fatal for some people but again, Palm cut corners. The Q will have it built in. I have a E300 WiFi card but the range is probably half that of my laptop and worse than the XV6700.

While I hate Smartphones, if I could have I would have simply gotten the Motorola Q. It will probably have its share of issues but at least it will work quickly and has a very needed 32MB more of RAM that you can never get into your 700w. For perspective -- in this THIRD generation of Palm Treos with the new hardware, Palm STILL has only 32MB of RAM. It's a bad joke and owners are it.
    Keep in mind, most of the people telling you not to buy a 700w are people that have never owned one.

Also keep in mind, you are on a board with many extreme Palm enthusiasts, and Windows is often seen as a threat and or looked down upon here. Many are even worried how much longer Palm OS will be around. This phone could have passed out free bjs, and the hostile reaction toward it would have ben the same.
    The Moto Q has not yet been released. The Treo 700w was "perfect" before it was released too. Beware the promise of Almost-ware.

That said, Evil Sports, if you're concerned by what you read here - and think responses in this post will somehow reduce the risk of your decision to purchase a Treo 700x, then don't purchase one because this thread isn't reducing the risk you might not be satisfied by your purchase.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks to all that responded. I guess my question now is WHY do we accept devices that Dont work properly
    Every PC today is multi tasking, I see many people saying if you do multi task on this device it will cause problems, they say just use 1 thing at a time, Im like WTF, why buy it at all. Im considering buying it because my whole life is Multitasking and Im looking for a device to simplify my existance not complicate it.
    It looks like the 700w is Not ready for prime time
  10.    #10  
    Kupe, reduce the risk of my decision??
    I have been reading the same issues All over the net. Yes they may be posted by the same people under different names but I dont believe that to be the case. When I asked my local wireless provider about the 700 he said if you like freezing. I have since been surfing as many sites and I can to see if there was a common problem and Yes there is.

At this point I am in Wait status until I see news that the companies have actually addressed these issues
    Just walk away from it Evil. There are a lot of us experiencing none of the problems you read about - folks can be pretty verbal/excitable when they have problems with a new $500 device.

Whether or not to buy is a risk. You're doing the right thing by not buying now because the risks you perceive don't outweigh the rewards you hope to achieve. Makes sense to me.

The calculus in my case was the reverse - I gain a whole lot of benefit at (so far) no risk. Win-win.
  12.    #12  
    I'm not sure the word Risk or what it implies or is correct in this instance. I'm not ready to walk away but more apt to sit on the side for a bit with a toe in the water.
    I'm not new to message board hype and hate for products. I'm well aware the ratio of complaints to praise is like 10 to 1.
    People rarely come out to tell you how Great things are but are quite quick to ***** about it
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    the allure for me was the [Palm] form factor and the WM5 OS. My basic needs were syncing with Outlook, the ability to view simple Excel files and of course using the device as a phone. i had no need for third party apps so the reduced memory was not a concern [initially]. i don't mind being the early adopter of new devices; or in other words, dealing with managable bugs/issues, etc.

well...after 3 months my opinion has changed. i applied all the tweaks, etc., to improve my user experience. unfortunately, things didn't work out for me and the 700w. one of the drawbacks turned out to be the limited memory...it got to the point where i had to reset my device once a day (that is if it didn't reset on its on). in my situation the culprit was the large volume of emails i'd receive/store over a 2 day period (100-150). the last straw was the "won't wake up from sleep mode" issue. this is where my device would not awaken from sleep mode to answer a call. i tried the corrective tweaks but the problem persisted... hopefully, Palm/MS/Verizon are working to address these and other issues...the potential to be better is there for sure. at this point, however, i've lost patience and ended up returning the device.

keep in mind this is my experience and there are others here who may not have had the same problems i did.
    Last edited by cortez.i; 04/05/2006 at 11:55 AM.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  14.    #14  
    dcortez, your experience seems to be the Norm when it comes to people describing their dissatisfaction with the 700. Like I said, I am in Wait mode for now. If enough people return them or are B!tching about them then maybe the resource allocations will be made. Just how long will it take is the question.
    i had the treo 700 for a little over a week and exchanged it for xv6700...only for the fact that it's go more memory and the scree view is better. I've havent had to reset the 6700 so far unless i made changes to the registery.

the only thing i dont like about the 6700 is the form factor...i think the treo is the best designed pda out there. Just needs a bit more refinement internally and then i'll come back.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered