1.    #1  
    Hi, Can someone tell me how to download mp3 music and make it a custom ringtone for the 700w? Thanks
    Yeah, i have been meaning to look in to that, can I set an mp3 as my ringtone on the 700w? Or do i need a 3rd party tool to convert it first?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    You have to convert the mp3 into a wma file. After you do that sync your 700 to your pc. Once your 700 is connected, click on the explore button. Then navigate to Application Data then to sounds. Then drag your wma files into that folder. That makes them ringtones. Then you can go into your phone settings and set them as your default ringtones.
  4. coe
    You can definitely use an mp3 file as a ringtone. From what I've heard, the sound quality is a lot better than if you took the same mp3 file and converted it to one of the standard ringtone formats.

From Activesync on your PC, go to Tools > Explore Pocket PC. This will open up an explorer window for the files on your device. You can copy mp3 files from your computer to whichever directory you want - probably either My Music, or, if you have a storage card, somewhere under My Windows-Based Mobile Device > Storage Card. (Since mp3s are big, you will probably want them to be on the storage card if you have one.)

Then, on your device, go to Start > Settings > Sounds and Notifications.
    Tap the third tab (Manage).
    Select menu > Add.
    Navigate to the file you just added.
    Select it and tap OK.

Now go into contacts.
    Select someone that you want to set the ringtone for
    Edit it.
    Scroll down the list to Ring Tone.
    The file you just added should be on the list.

Or if you want it to be a general ringtone, not just for one person, you can:
    Go to Sounds and Notifications.
    Pick the Notifications tab.
    Scroll down to one of the Phone entries.
    Pick the file there.

Most mp3s will be much longer than they need to be. There are several products that you could use to edit the size down... I use the Nero Wave Editor, but it costs money - there are probably free ones available.
    QUICK TIP- When you convert the file, chop it down to approx 30 seconds and make it a smaller bitrate (mine are 80 kbps, never tried any others) WMA to reduce file size and RAM usage too. Sound quality sounds identical to a full bitrate mp3 coming out of the back speaker.... most of my ringtones are around 300kb.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Do you guys recomened any good programs to cut and format MP3's?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Nero is probably the best to be able to do both.
    Audacity for Mac is free. MP3Splitter is nagware, but usable. For Windows I used to use CoolEdit but it's not free and I'm not sure of an open source alternative.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    MP3 Sound Cutter (Power Mp3 Cutter) has a free trial and it's super-easy to use. You're limited to clips no longer than 60 seconds each but that's more than adequate for ringtones.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd
    MP3 Sound Cutter (Power Mp3 Cutter) has a free trial and it's super-easy to use. You're limited to clips no longer than 60 seconds each but that's more than adequate for ringtones.
    thanks for that. works great. i dont have a huge selection of mp3's ar work. but so far so good
    Just for all. There is absolutely no editing or conversion necessary at all to use an MP3 for a ring tone. Unless you are just shortening or something.

I usually just email the mp3 to my phone, download, save. Then go to Settings/Sounds & Notifications/MENU/NEW SOUND/Navigate to your MP3 and there you are. It is now available for a ring tone.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by elradhymc
    thanks for that. works great. i dont have a huge selection of mp3's ar work. but so far so good
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    i know i can use mp3's but i just needed a good and simple program to cut them.
    Audacity works well guys, and it's free: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    Treo 700w