Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone been able to get an Instant Messenger running on the 700w?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107589

You won't have to wait for answers if you familiarize yourself with the search tool.
    The thread posted above talks about AIM from the UK (which completely hosed my old Treo 600), Agile and IM +. There is also VeriChat which I loved on my Treo 600 but have been very very disappointed with on the 700. I have tried Agile and it seems to work fine but I miss being able to see people's Away messages (It is how I keep track of my kids in college!

I just looked at IM+ - it is expensive but it could be worth it to me if it worked better than VeriChat. I like that it includes message history which neither Agile or VeriChat do. Can anyone tell me if you can see the away messages in the user info? I suppose I can just download the trial and figure it out for myself.
    I have seen differnt posts on that uk thing.....saw problems with 600....saw others "saying" it woiked. Not sure I'd recommend it now. But the thread also talks about IM+ and Agile.

There's also:

http://www.webmessenger.com/wm5.htm
    I've used both the UK AIM and the AOL client on the Treo. Though it works and is usable they are both designed for WM2003 and as such don't make use of the command bar. In fact the menu is hidden behind the command bar and you can't get to it. Until they update the client to WM5 format I wouldn't suggest using either.

Anyone that wants to see a version for the Palm Treo 700w should email AOL at pdasoftwarehelp@aol.com and request it. They have been pretty good at supporting the previous Treo versions in the past.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    i use im+. the main problem is it will cut off and not be able to receive incoming messages when the data goes in idle. which sucks big time. but if u want u can run a program that would run a constant stream as a streaming radio and use the aim client for the time being. thats the best i can do for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by elradhymc
    i use im+. the main problem is it will cut off and not be able to receive incoming messages when the data goes in idle. which sucks big time. but if u want u can run a program that would run a constant stream as a streaming radio and use the aim client for the time being. thats the best i can do for ya.
    it's kinda dissappointing that a simple phone like the sidekick can handle IM's almost seemlessly, but a full featured phone like the Treo 700 can't do it properly.

Note: I have IM+, but it's pointless if incoming messages don't come in when the connection goes dormant.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    i know. i spent what $40 on that thing. but im telling you, open up a shoutcast station and let it stream then open im+ behind it. that seems to work fine. but its a battery killer
    What about Windows Messenger? It comes pre-installed 0n the 700w and works fine.
    I use agile messenger.
    I actually like the new alpha version of the Agile Messenger client. A little buggy, but looks to be a promising upgrade.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire
    I actually like the new alpha version of the Agile Messenger client. A little buggy, but looks to be a promising upgrade.

Does it "push" the im's through? Thats my biggest concern.
    Does it "push" the im's through? Thats my biggest concern.
    What do you mean by "push". SMS?
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    when the data connection goes idle, the messanger will disconect. and you will not receive any incoming im's.
    when the data connection goes idle, the messanger will disconect. and you will not receive any incoming im's.
    I see. I know VeriChat uses SMS to wake the IM client. I am not sure if AM uses that or not. VeriChat has the settings to set that. I have not seen or been prompted in AM.
    Brian McGuire
    IME verichat does not wake the client but merely sends an sms with the msg in it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by blulegend
    IME verichat does not wake the client but merely sends an sms with the msg in it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Probably correct. It appears to give you the option to accept the inbound message and then it wakes the IM client if accepted.
    Brian McGuire
    What about the one that comes with it. Is it worthless? I don't have a 700 yet. Just curious.
    You guys sure like to keep whining about the problem when the solution was already posted in this thread.

http://www.webmessenger.com/wm5.htm

Does everything you want, and works flawlessly on the w700.
    wow...$30 a YEAR....id pay 29.99 for the program but 29.99 a year is kinda rediculous if you ask me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast