Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Guys,

All of a sudden my treo won't ring or vibrate when Outlook Mobile downloads new messages! I am sure my settings are correct:

Sound & Notifications
    Event: Messaging: New e-mail message

Play Sound : CHECKED
    Display message on screen: CHECKED
    Vibrate when ringer switch off: CHECKED
    Vibrate when ringer switch on: CHECKED

What is wrong?? Any clue? It worked when I first got the phone...

Thanks.
    You didn't mention:
    Start --> Settings --> Sounds & Notifications --> Sounds Tab --> Programs (checked) & Notifications (checked).

... just a thought.
    I have the same problem, but it seems to be hit and miss. I have PhoneAlarm installed and use the system alarms for notifications. When my BT HS is on, it will vibrate only regardless. I've noticed the "play sound" box will become unchecked for some reason when I'm sure it was checked before. I still get some kind of notification, usually a vibration.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakey
    Guys,

All of a sudden my treo won't ring or vibrate when Outlook Mobile downloads new messages! I am sure my settings are correct:

Sound & Notifications
    Event: Messaging: New e-mail message

Play Sound : CHECKED
    Display message on screen: CHECKED
    Vibrate when ringer switch off: CHECKED
    Vibrate when ringer switch on: CHECKED

What is wrong?? Any clue? It worked when I first got the phone...

Thanks.
    I had this same problem a while ago- check my post:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=sounds

The ONLY thing that I found that works is a HARD reset...but then it eventually happens again after a day or two. I think it may be some software I loaded on that is causing this (no I do not have PhoneAlarm).

Unfortunately, I have just began to live with this bug. Hopefully, someone smart will be able to figure out what is causing this.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
  5.    #5  
    Unbelievable. So this is a BUG. How much worse can this POS get? I am beginning to feel sorry that I asked my boss to get this for me.
    What 3rd party apps have you loaded? Lots of buggy problems coming more from added apps. Developers of these apps are going to need to be informed of problems when loading their software. I bet it works after a hard reset and without the 3rd party apps installed.
    Unbelievable. So this is a BUG. How much worse can this POS get? I am beginning to feel sorry that I asked my boss to get this for me.

I wouldn't exactly called it a POS, at least not mine. I still get some kind of notification. At least your device still rings when a call comes in, doesn't it? Even though it doesn't do what it supposed to do every time, I can still use it.
    Again, you didn't answer my question above and you haven't answered the question regaring any 3rd party software you have. phoneAlarm can be a bit confusing to you when you first learn it as it has considerable power over your configurations and the defaults it comes with may not be what you expect.

You're a long way from eliminating "operator error" as the cause of your problem.
  9.    #9  
    Ok here are all the apps installed currently:

PocketX Handango InHand
    Realnetworks RealOne Player
    June Fabrics PdaNet
    TCPMP
    Picsel File Viewer
    Macromedia Flash Player ActiveX
    ISH InClose Mobile
    GSPlayer

PocketX Handango InHand
    June Fabrics PdaNet
    TCPMP
    Picsel File Viewer
    ISH InClose Mobile
    GSPlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    You didn't mention:
    Start --> Settings --> Sounds & Notifications --> Sounds Tab --> Programs (checked) & Notifications (checked).

... just a thought.
    PocketX InHand may be doinking with your setting depending on the profile you've chosen.

You might also double check your system volume setting - try the up/down toggle on the left side to see what your PDA and Phone volumes are set at.
  11.    #11  
    Ok I just removed InHand and I'll see if that fixes the problem.

I'm sure of the volume. Even so, shouldn't treo STILL virbrates if I turned the volume down? It is very very important that I know when I have new email (I set it to check the email every 10 minutes).
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

PocketX Handango InHand
    June Fabrics PdaNet
    TCPMP
    Picsel File Viewer
    ISH InClose Mobile
    GSPlayer

Here are all the Apps that I had installed when the sound problem occured on mine:
    Pocket Informant
    ADBWeather
    AvantGo
    Epocrates Essentials
    eWallet
    GSPlayer
    IMPlus
    Personal Vehicle Mgr
    Picsel PDF viewer
    Resco File Explorer (w/Today plugin)
    Resco Radio
    Resco Registry
    SiriuCE
    Sprite Backup
    Virtual Earth Mobile
    XCPUScalar

The two files I see in common are Picsel and GSPlayer...
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Piece of crap phone. Mine has also stopped ringing consistently too. I got rid Picsel a long time ago, don't have GSPlayer. The only thing I did was check vibrate when the ringer is on or off. I'll see if getting rid of it changes the problem but doing so will be a problem too.

This phone has some real issues unfortunately. I'm not sure replacing it will make any difference. Free RAM is 8MB so while RAM is always a problem with @#$ing Palm phones, it is probably not the issue here.
    I don't know if this will help, but you might look into the size of your notification queue database. After a hard reset and a restore from Sprite backup, I started missing notifications and getting duplicate reminders and other such weird stuff. Downloaded Check Notifications from here http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html and I had over 1300 entries in the database. Ended up doing another hard reset but this time did not restore the notification queue database or any of my PIM databases (though for the life of me I now cannot find where the notification queue database is located). Rebuilt my PIM information through a new activesync partnership and I'm good to go.

SK Tools and MemMaid also have the ability to view and clean the notification queue, but I haven't tried them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    I don't know if this will help, but you might look into the size of your notification queue database. After a hard reset and a restore from Sprite backup, I started missing notifications and getting duplicate reminders and other such weird stuff. Downloaded Check Notifications from here http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html and I had over 1300 entries in the database. Ended up doing another hard reset but this time did not restore the notification queue database or any of my PIM databases (though for the life of me I now cannot find where the notification queue database is located). Rebuilt my PIM information through a new activesync partnership and I'm good to go.

SK Tools and MemMaid also have the ability to view and clean the notification queue, but I haven't tried them.

Apparently, this is the cause for my problems. I used MemMaid and I immediately began receiving audible alerts again, even with my BT headset turned on.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer
    Apparently, this is the cause for my problems. I used MemMaid and I immediately began receiving audible alerts again, even with my BT headset turned on.
    Deltaflyer-

What exactly did you clean in your notification queue (using Memmaid) to make your sounds working again?

Did you SELECT ALL? I have a ton of CALENDAR.EXE files, and many others that I didn't know what they were, so was reluctant to delete them. ....thx
    Part of my problem may be solved. Instead of there simply being a ring volume and call volume next to each other or separately set, it is easily to confuse the two very similar icons. Bad interface but at least I think it will solve this problem now that the backlight problem has a temporary fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    Deltaflyer-

What exactly did you clean in your notification queue (using Memmaid) to make your sounds working again?

Did you SELECT ALL? I have a ton of CALENDAR.EXE files, and many others that I didn't know what they were, so was reluctant to delete them. ....thx

I think I was a little hasty in my exuberance. The email notification returned to vibrate only after several hours. I'm still playing with it to find any pattern to the madness.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Well, I had to Hard reset my (new) device last night. Things were freezing up and could not get Activesync to sync correctly (again). This is a new 700w that was just swapped due to other reasons, but after the 3 hours of reinstalling all my original programs and configuring everything back to what I had it, so far my email sound notifications have been working for about 12 hours now.
    If I predict correctly, the notification sound will disappear within a day or two...i'll let you know if the sound persists though which may mean it may be hardware related, but I still think it is a software conflict.
    Here is what I've found so far.

I use One Bridge for corp. email and have it set to sync every 10 mins. I also have PhoneAlarm installed. When the PA alarm settings are set to "system", the system alarms will only be heard if the messaging window is closed. I do get an audible alert if the window is closed. However, whenever my device syncs to the email server, it automatically opens the messaging window. Now, when I set the PA alarm to anything other than the "system" alarm, I get an audible alert no matter if the messaging window is open or not. I've also noticed that the "play sound" check box for the email alert (in WM5 settings) somehow unchecks itself periodically. I've also noticed I don't get an audible alert, from either source, when my BT headset is connected, which sux.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast