Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Very odd-

All of a sudden, my 700w is not making any sound. (yes, I checked the hardware switch)-

Everything was working fine until about 1 hr ago, (was streaming music without problems), and I noticed that I didn't hear the "blipping" sound when pushing the volume up/down buttons.

...then I realized that I wasn't getting any sound at all - EVEN PHONE CALL AUDIO. THIS is the real problem.

The strange thing is, that If I soft reset, I hear the "reboot chime" without problem. Also I DO hear some of the notification chimes.

I didn't change any settings recently, except for the NeverDorkMemory Hack that was recently posted, but I really doubt this was the cause. I removed the hack just incase. No new software was installed either.

Yes, I tried to HARD reset, and even with a clean boot (WITHOUT re-installing anything or doing Sprite restore), the sound problem PERSISTS.

If anyone knows about this problem, or how to fix, please let me know. THANKS.

(FYI - had this 700w since January without this sound issue)
    Last edited by plasmo; 04/02/2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Problem RESOLVED
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    try bringing up the volume controls. turn both all the way down, and then turn them all the way up and see if that helps you.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Tried your suggestion, but still no sound.
    The only way I can make a phone call is by using speakerphone option...I don't get any sound when listening to the front speaker. Weird.
    This is VERY BAD.
    Another thing is that sometimes the Speakerphone option is GREYED OUT so I need to do a soft reset before making another (speakerphone) call.

Has anyone ever used their LockLine Insurance? I have it, and it looks like I will probably need exchange this phone.
    If anyone else has seen this problem, I will appreciate any info before returning this phone. I really like the Treo 700 but this is ridiculous.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Plasmo go and exhange it. I think there was a shipment of bad 700w's sent out at one point. I had a long list of problems with the 700w that I originally recieved. I just exchanged it yesterday and I feel like it's a whole different model. Alot of weirdness that I had been dealing with doesn't happen anymore.
    Treo 700w
    Is it stuck in "headset mode"? You stated that you were streaming music, was it with headphones?

I had a problem one time after I removed my stereo headphones from the jack, I had to replace the jack one or two times to get the phone to recognize the headphones wern't plugged in.

There is a thread on the Accessories Forum labeled "Never mind a headset, 'cause the jack sucks". It was for a 650 though.

Man these 700's have more bugs than a Louisiana swamp!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    Tried your suggestion, but still no sound.
    The only way I can make a phone call is by using speakerphone option...I don't get any sound when listening to the front speaker. Weird.
    This is VERY BAD.
    Another thing is that sometimes the Speakerphone option is GREYED OUT so I need to do a soft reset before making another (speakerphone) call.

Has anyone ever used their LockLine Insurance? I have it, and it looks like I will probably need exchange this phone.
    If anyone else has seen this problem, I will appreciate any info before returning this phone. I really like the Treo 700 but this is ridiculous.
    You should not need to use lockline. warrantly should cover it.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DogTrainer
    Is it stuck in "headset mode"? You stated that you were streaming music, was it with headphones?
    DogTrainer- I THINK YOU ARE CORRECT ... that's exactly what it is:

I can hear all sounds fine using a headset...but it seems like after I take out the headset plug it STAYS in "headset mode".

I tried as you suggested to plug-and-unplug the jack in-and-out to try to "unstick" the headset mode, but it's not working.

I did end up calling Verizon, and they are going to swap it Fedex. They were very knowledgeable, and everything went smoothly. Interestingly, the rep said that he has recently heard similar problems as this.

and VZWUser - yep, you are correct I didn't need to use LockLine. ?when does one use it then?
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Dogtrainer-

After a few more plugging in a headset in-and-out- IT WORKS!
    It got out of "headset mode" and now works fine....back to normal.

I guess I should call VZW to cancel the swap...
    Dogtrainer-

After a few more plugging in a headset in-and-out- IT WORKS!
    It got out of "headset mode" and now works fine....back to normal.

I guess I should call VZW to cancel the swap...
    I would go for the swap while you have the chance. A problem like that is bound to rear it's head again after a while.

Neil
    How can Palm allow the same problem to happen again?? The 650 seems to have been known for this too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm looking at BT headphones !!!
    Mine did that too after I switched to speaker phone and back I would get sound again. I finally just did a hard reset and I've had no further problems

and VZWUser - yep, you are correct I didn't need to use LockLine. ?when does one use it then?

after the warranty period expires (usually 1 year) or if you break the device physically (not a defect in material or manufacture).
    Solution

Just call Verizon, they will send you a new phone as long as you are still under the one year warrenty.
    That was a problem for me but once I installed phonealarm (and subsequently uninstalled it) it was resolved.
    Had a similar problem. My speaker stopped working completely, got a warranty replacement. If your paying 5.99 for lockline and extended warranty, verizon will continue replacing after 1yr too. you would use lockline only if you lose the phone or physical/liquid damage.