View Poll Results: Do I keep the 700w, 650 or get another phone?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the 700w!

25 49.02%
  • Keep the 650!

8 15.69%
  • Get the XV6700!

7 13.73%
  • The Samsung i730!

1 1.96%
  • Wait for the Q!!!

4 7.84%
  • Get another phone... maybe switch for the 700p!

6 11.76%
  1.    #1  
    I had a Treo 650 on Verizon's network which has been the result of many prior Palms and a Treo 600. The 600 worked but the resolution was terrible and had no replaceable battery. It also needed more RAM. Then came the 650 which raised my level of hatred for Palm, who are never the innovator and interested in only trying to get you to buy another phone. Fortunately I got the upgrade for free so going from a 600 to 650 was "painless" except for one thing -- the 600 never rebooted and hard reset itself and then deleted all the registration entries for every application I had in the phone. The 650 does this and also has its own share of problems, including Palm's failure to add more than 32MB of RAM, which seems to be a total obsession.

Oddly enough, I was sent a Palm Treo 700w instead of a 650 and it presents an interesting dilemma. While the screen resolution stinks, I heard it's not totally unacceptable although video and text isn't pretty. OK, I can live with that. But the fact that there is only 32MB of RAM - contrary to every PocketPC phone - makes me want to hurt the people at Palm. Creating something that could be on the level and making it just BAD enough that there is a seriously flaw that makes it a tad better than other phones but enough to say it needs to be replaced - which it will when Windows Mobile 6 comes out and the 32MB of RAM will be too small to run apps. I'm also told that if you've got 2 or 3 apps open and the phone rings it is subject to a low memory crash and reboot, potentially losing your data and your call. While I'm ticked off about WiFi I decided I could keep an SD card stuffed into the skin case if I need it, as much as I dislike the idea. But the RAM is a serious problem and my understanding is that as a PDA the Treo 650 is still a much better PDA and more useful than the 700w. Many seem to like the 700w just because the phone functionality on Windows Mobile devices are so horrible. That's not a great reason to like the 700w though.

So now I've got a choice -- do I get yet another Treo 650 which will likely also reset itself every month just like the others or keep the Treo 700w? I'd really like to hear from people that have used the phone their thoughts, especially since I have little knowledge of WM. I know that I'll have to buy all new apps and I have a big Palm investment and that's not great. But there seems to be much more I can do with a WM phone and the Palm platform seems to be dying, unfortunately. Case in point is the Internet browsing.

There is another alternative - sell the 700w and get something completely different, maybe even go to another carrier. That seems like a pain. I don't know what I can sell the 700w for either and I would have to buy at least a one year contract with somebody, which isn't too bad though. The 700p seems at least a month away and who knows what true availability is. That is one that would solve a lot of problems, faster processor maybe but will be on another carrier. Another idea - I'm not so crazy about the pull out keyboards but maybe if there is a phone that is very good as a phone with good battery life I'd consider it. The Motorola Q looks almost great although the "Smartphone" like system that has no stylus seems a significant downer but that remains to be seen. Is it worth waiting a month? I can always use my old Treo 600 until making a decision. What about the other phones listed? It seems the Samsung is a bad choice as the keyboard seems horrible, the phone is large, battery life is bad. The 6700 seems nice but I'm told battery life isn't so great and it's horrible as a phone. If I've been on a Treo that is so easy to just type away, is it a terrible thing to have to pull out that keyboard? How do you have a case? You'll have to get a bulky one that you have to remove every time you need to pull out the keyboard -- seems very challenging.

So what's your opinion? I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
    Last edited by treoshmeo; 03/30/2006 at 09:54 PM.
    Please do us all a favor - move on. Though I voted for the 6700, you are right about that darn pull out keyboard. You should wait and get the Q. I am sure it will be perfect - right out of the box. Moto never releases buggy products. And, it has WM5. Perrrrfect, juuuust perrrrfect.
    If you really want a phone more than a PDA, the Q might be a good choice. Note that the Q is WM5 but it is not a Pocket PC device which will limit your software choices a bit. It doesn't have a touch screen and has a mini-SD slot. That might not bother you.

You are used to the Palm platform so if you can bare the 650 quirks for a while longer, maybe you should wait for the 700p (if it comes to VZW). If you are ready to move to the WM platform the 700w is a good start, IMO, even with its own quirks. You won't have random resets but you might want to reset on your own occasionally to clean up memory leaks. I was a longtime Palm user (since the Palmpilot was released way back) but I'm pleased with my choice to move to the WM platform -- and my timing.

Oh yeah, you might want to give the i730 a shot if you don't mind a larger phone. It is not as one-handed as the Treo but it is not bad. You have more software options and a "better" screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaTex
    Please do us all a favor - move on. Though I voted for the 6700, you are right about that darn pull out keyboard. You should wait and get the Q. I am sure it will be perfect - right out of the box. Moto never releases buggy products. And, it has WM5. Perrrrfect, juuuust perrrrfect.
    Moto doesn't have buggy products? Think again buddy...

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...shesdevice.htm

"Motorola is investigating a faulty batch of its popular Razr mobile phone, which has already led two mobile operators in the US to stop selling the device."
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    Moto doesn't have buggy products? Think again buddy...

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...shesdevice.htm

"Motorola is investigating a faulty batch of its popular Razr mobile phone, which has already led two mobile operators in the US to stop selling the device."
    Andre, before continuing on in these forums I'd suggest renting the movie Tommy Boy and finding this scene:

Gas station worker: "I'm picking up on your sarcasm."

David Spade: "I should hope so 'cause I'm laying it on pretty thick."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Andre, before continuing on in these forums I'd suggest renting the movie Tommy Boy and finding this scene:

Gas station worker: "I'm picking up on your sarcasm."

David Spade: "I should hope so 'cause I'm laying it on pretty thick."
    Good one, I was laying it on thick - or at least trying too.....

And I am a little sorry for the sarcasm - but it does not seem to me that this guy is gonna be happy with anything he has listed.
  7.    #7  
    I thought it was sarcasm. With all these phones there is nothing perfect but the real challenge is finding out how imperfect they are. I got the 700w today to check it out. If it wasn't for the RAM issue it might be OK. Palm really knows how to screw up a product with 1 major flaw in every one so you can get a new one. I think by next generation everyone else will have a form factor just as good. Too bad. At least we are getting close to a really good phone that will last for quite a while.
    no matter what tho will there ever be a really good phone, with techonolgy there will always be something "they could have done better" or "they could have added this" if there was ever one perfect phone then the market would be at stand still and one company would be cashing in, there will always be advancement
    Got Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaTex
    Good one, I was laying it on thick - or at least trying too.....

And I am a little sorry for the sarcasm - but it does not seem to me that this guy is gonna be happy with anything he has listed.
    lol... yeah I didn't get the sarcasm part. Mainly since everyone I know around personaly thinks Moto is "the god of the phone industry"
    well they do make some really nice and innovative phones
    Got Treo?
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, they do unlike Palm. Unfortunately the 700w sucks but mostly because of the buggy Windows Mobile. It isn't made to be on a small screen and MS still thinks that it can funnel Windows XP into a handheld without accounting for the totally different input mechanism and experience. It did leave in there the bugs and orphaned files all over the place when uninstalls and other processes fail. When you have a phone that has 2 buttons dedicated solely for "start" and "duh, OK" then you know you've got problems. It's a POS and any 320x240 is a much less horrible experience using WM but it also adds so much extra maneuvering every time you want to do something simple like adding in a contact, date/meeting, send an email, etc. Unfortunately Palm has killed the Palm OS platform as evidenced by almost all innovate software being WM or Symbian only. I will now simulate a windows experience. OK? The lack of RAM is beyond stupid and what Palm should get crucified for but it alone isn't really what the big problem is about. OK? There is little one touch functionality here and everything is an endless array of dropdown menus. OK? The entire OS feels like a hack. OK? I'm not saying the Palm OS is perfect but at least it (and I think Symbian) reflects thought into streamlining how an OS should be for a small device. OK? There is little 4 way navigation and using WM 5 in many instances REQUIRES you to use the stylus. OK? The only reason I'm keeping it is because (1) pulling out keyboards is too much movement for me (and that was done because the WM OS needs a lot of screen space), (2) Palm OS is dying unfortunately, thanks to the Palm execs and as evidenced by the number and type of WM apps and the number of devices, (3) my 650s had reset problems and dumped registrations, (4) I needed WiFi or EVDO. OK? Outlook sucks as does SMS. no threading. no 'select all' to apply something to all 113 emails in a folder. no quickkeys to do simple tasks like deleting (can you say dropdown, potential scroll and click?) OK? While there are some neat things you can do with WM (because of MS power to push this OS), in general it really sucks. OK? Oh yeah, there is no "autohide" for that usually useless bottom nav bar which eats up more screen space like the top bar and the side scroll bars, leaving you with 70% of the tiny screen to view. OK?
  12.    #12  
    And now the memory errors "you must select one task to terminate or increase the amount of program memory." screw Palm.
    Move on. You'll never be satisfied with anything, so what's the use....