Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This guy loved the 700W initially, but after using it, has found many problems, and so wrote a new review...
    http://www.personaltechpipeline.com/184401044
    I once found a nice sunny day and loved it but, after being in the sun for a time, I began to sweat and found that I started to stink.. I wrote a review about it....
    http://www.whogivesacrap.com

(This is a parody, let the flaming begin!)
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I want to know what he's doing that he only has 4MB free after a soft reset. I have 10MB more than that, and have many programs installed. Most of the issues I saw are easily overcome on the users end.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    This guy's points are valid. I have all of these issues. I really like this phone, but only because I believe it's the best that is available, which is the really sad part of it all. The software is horribly buggy, the memory is grossly undersized, the device is undersupported, and the screen isn't as clear as other models. But the form factor is great, the phone is pretty zippy, all the functions are there, and it has growing pains. Everyone who bought the phone should have known what they were getting themselves into. If not, they got what they deserved. I just can't wait until the 700p comes out so people will start *****ing about all of its bugs and early adopter issues and everyone will say, "Man I wish I had my Treo 700w back."
    I once found a phone I liked, and then our relationship soured.

So I wrote a blog incessantly whining about the obsolete POS phone that I can't figure out how to use and should just repack in the box and send it someone else.

btw, if it is such a POS. Why did their net income go up 25 million from 4.4 to 29.9
    Because more people are buying the 650's?
    Samkim,

1. You need another tutorial on Treo memory configuration - your information is inaccurate.

2. Your screen size discussion is incorrect. You're describing screen resolution, not size. Again, try to be accurate.

3. Terms like "the phone went wonky" are not particularly descriptive to prospective users of the phone. You might consider some specificity to help in their decision.

4. Your link to "many users" complaining of pitiful stability was a thread with one complaint entry, another entry with a partial complaint and two other respondents with no complaint. How "many users" is that in percentage of total Treo 700w sales?

5. Your Activesync discussion doesn't even begin to describe what's been posted here and on other sites regarding that software. Accuracy is your friend - so is research.

6. The paragraph describing your communications with Palm indicate a novice user with little understanding of the device. Are you aware when you are down to 4 mb of memory, there are actually programs running? Just because you can't see them when you press and hold then OK button doesn't mean XCPUScalar or 6 to 7 Today Screen apps aren't already happily gobbling up your memory. No wonder they wanted you to send your phone in - you couldn't begin to describe your phone's symptoms enough for them to help you.

7. What is the source of your "widespread reports of similar problems?" Could it be from the same 4 entry thread discussed in #4 above?

CONCLUSION: Two thumbs down for a poorly written, factually incorrect, grammar-error riddled, puff piece. You could have provided some truly useful information to your readers about a host of other well-documented issues with the Treo 700, but for some reason you chose not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Samkim,

1. You need another tutorial on Treo memory configuration - your information is inaccurate.

2. Your screen size discussion is incorrect. You're describing screen resolution, not size. Again, try to be accurate.

3. Terms like "the phone went wonky" are not particularly descriptive to prospective users of the phone. You might consider some specificity to help in their decision.

4. Your link to "many users" complaining of pitiful stability was a thread with one complaint entry, another entry with a partial complaint and two other respondents with no complaint. How "many users" is that in percentage of total Treo 700w sales?

5. Your Activesync discussion doesn't even begin to describe what's been posted here and on other sites regarding that software. Accuracy is your friend - so is research.

6. The paragraph describing your communications with Palm indicate a novice user with little understanding of the device. Are you aware when you are down to 4 mb of memory, there are actually programs running? Just because you can't see them when you press and hold then OK button doesn't mean XCPUScalar or 6 to 7 Today Screen apps aren't already happily gobbling up your memory. No wonder they wanted you to send your phone in - you couldn't begin to describe your phone's symptoms enough for them to help you.

7. What is the source of your "widespread reports of similar problems?" Could it be from the same 4 entry thread discussed in #4 above?

CONCLUSION: Two thumbs down for a poorly written, factually incorrect, grammar-error riddled, puff piece. You could have provided some truly useful information to your readers about a host of other well-documented issues with the Treo 700, but for some reason you chose not to.
    Did the original poster write the article, or simply link to it?
    Isn't the 240X240 resolution limit a microsoft windows mobile issue rather than a treo issue? I am not aware of any current MW device that has a 320X320 resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    Did the original poster write the article, or simply link to it?
    That's what I thought!! He just linked to the article, didn't he?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Er, yeah. I came across this article, and I figured people here would find it of interest. I don't even have a 700W.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Isn't the 240X240 resolution limit a microsoft windows mobile issue rather than a treo issue? I am not aware of any current MW device that has a 320X320 resolution.
    Correct. See http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...14/531972.aspx for a good technical explanation that's still relatively easy to understand.
    That's classic. Kupe talks about "inaccuracies" and he has the wrong person.
    Last edited by lankox; 03/31/2006 at 10:29 AM.
    I have very little 3rd party software on my 700. Activesync works for a while and then stops working with a synchronization error. The memory leak is real and I'm always down to 3-4 mb at the end of the day with no programs running (softreset gets me back up to 11mb). Everyday I receive a phone call and cannot answer it b/c the 700 has locked up. The 700 is very slow and sluggish compared to my 650 (Opening up a pdf is painful). There is a low % of software that works properly w/ the 240 x 240 screen. Just my thoughts!

Lucan
    I don't think there is anyway of fighting the memory issue. Those who say there isn't one, please let me know what the secert to "keeping" memory is. When I reset I have 12MB's left. I have Informant installed Wisbar advanced and tomtom on my phone. With Wisbar I stopped using the cascading start menu. As the orginial is much much faster. The different between split second and 2 seconds is a long time when you are just trying to launch a program. The phone does leak memory and programs are not releaseing it after they are closed. Are ms programmers just bad memory managers? I don't know but I agree with most of what the artical says. But in my case I just deal with it and reset every once in a while. Which isn't really a hassle to me. I've had the phone freeze up on me while trying to take a call. It is pretty annoying. And there's nothing you can do.
    Well, get past the Kupe error as to whether Samkim wrote the article or not and the rest of his points are very valid counters to the "blogger" who has no accountibility to accuracy or anyone he can simply torch it just because he wants to. I also find it interesting that Samkim felt it necessary to bring this up when he doesn't even own a 700W.

Most bloggers (READ: not all) are nothing more then the same as a guy putting his shingle out and calling himself a therapist with no credentials. They are the same as the spammers who attack your email with scams. This is a very dangerous part of our ever expanding world of communications. Blogs like this only do a diservice to the few legitimate writers out there.
    There is no fix to amount of memory. If they gave you a gig of memory on your 700W or 700P youu would find a way to load every program known to man on it and then complain about being down to 4mb of memory left. This is a no win one for any manufacturer. Most all problems with a device like this are 3rd party apps which were poorly written by hobbyists and distibuted in forums like this or registry hacking which can effectively render a device useless. Maybe they should lock down the registry and make it so all programs have to go through certification before they can be loaded. It may triple the price of the software but it would stop a lot of the lies about devices and their ability to do what it was designed to do. I personally tried WisBar and it so hosed my phone up it was unbelievable. Took the app off and damned if the 6700 didn't work like new again.
    i only have one 3rd party app on my phone and that is poker game and when i do a reset i only have 12 i have no idea if that is bad or not but i never have an issue with my memory
    Got Treo?
    Ace, do you have push email going? I'm thinking, "No".
    nope i tried to get it but im very tech savy so i never understood how to get it to work
    Got Treo?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Well, get past the Kupe error as to whether Samkim wrote the article or not and the rest of his points are very valid counters to the "blogger" who has no accountibility to accuracy or anyone he can simply torch it just because he wants to. I also find it interesting that Samkim felt it necessary to bring this up when he doesn't even own a 700W.

Most bloggers (READ: not all) are nothing more then the same as a guy putting his shingle out and calling himself a therapist with no credentials. They are the same as the spammers who attack your email with scams. This is a very dangerous part of our ever expanding world of communications. Blogs like this only do a diservice to the few legitimate writers out there.
    Nice rant, but it's not a blog. It's an article on a site run by CMP Media, a major tech publisher. It was linked on digg.com, which made the article very widely read.

As for why I "felt it necessary," read my post again. I shouldn't have to repeat myself for you. I don't have an agenda, but you have a personal one. Apparently you're still not over this. Well, get over it. And again, try to be correct before you go on the attack. This is getting tiresome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast