Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjsrik
    Pure and simple, I can wholeheartedly relate to this user's frustration. Let's just take a few of the issues I've had:

--Poor RAM allotment when you get the unit, less than 30Mb free??
    --$500 for a unit that doesn't even come with a case?
    --Hard resets at random intervals for no reason whatsoever
    --No persistent storage so NO data is backed up
    --What software is compatible with WM5 and the Treo 700w (bc of the screensize?) there are NO "compatible with Treo 700w" stickers on any software
    --Why would they put the reset button UNDER the cover, you have to pop the cover every time (and this is OFTEN) that you want to soft-reset it
    --Who thought up the camera configuration? You take a picture, press back and you are presented with a black screen??
    --The EVDO connection does not stay connected, the minute it's done, it disconnects and unless a program is aware that it has to dial out first using EVDO you get "no signal found" error type messages
    --Wireless Sync, this software is not only crippled (doesn't allow you the ability to save attachments, the options are there but greyed out, even VZW's tech support didn't know why), but it's useless as a software, AND it's in ROM???

The phone should NEVER have come out in this iteration. I too am on #3.
    I couldn't resist ...
    --Poor RAM allotment when you get the unit, less than 30Mb free??More memory would be nice but I only experiance memory issues using WMP and it starts the 2nd time after it closes down some apps.
    --$500 for a unit that doesn't even come with a case?
    I didn't realize that cases were required. Honestly how many people use the case that comes with the phones when they are provided.
    --No persistent storage so NO data is backed up
    huh?? WM5 = Persistant storage so this statement is 100% false
    --What software is compatible with WM5 and the Treo 700w
    More and more every day, to to pocketgear.com or handmark.com and look under the 700w specific areas. As more square screen devices are released, 6515, 69xx, 700w we will see more Square Aware software.
    --Why would they put the reset button UNDER the cover,
    Last time I checked this is a Treo thing and not specific to the 700w... I also believe you can buy a replacement cover here on treocentral that has a hole to access the reset button.
    --The EVDO connection does not stay connected, the minute it's...
    And?? I have zero issues reconnecting to EVDO when I need to. Also , MSFP will have a constant heartbeat which makes this statement moot.
    --Wireless Sync, this software is not only crippled...I actually agree with you on this point. I hear nothing but horror stories aobut VZWS but since I don't use it I can't comment from any personal experiance.

Are there things that can be improved, sure and hopefully the update with MSFP will also include some performance enhancements.
    Hey...

Do you really think Verizon customer service can figure out your problem?

1..figure out what whats wrong with your phone.

2..learn how it works and how to use it.

3..return to step 1.

Chuck

BTW...my trouble free Sprint/T650 is doin real fine today...
    Just thought you should know...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Do you know what persistent storage is? It's where you can opt to store things such as contacts and other information such as in the Jasjar or the Ipaq to ROM so that a hard reset will not wipe this stuff out.

This cannot be done with a Treo 700w. Where exactly is the persistent storage option in the Treo 700w? As in the Jasjar or the Ipaq?

Persistent storage doesn't exist except for the installed programs and the WM5 OS-specific programs in ROM. Everything else, contacts, etc., are wiped out with a hard reset.
    Wow, ever hear of an SD card? Get one.

This thread reminds me of another use for the Sprint crime deterrent phone from the superbowl commercial.

Do you know what persistent storage is? It's where you can opt to store things such as contacts and other information such as in the Jasjar or the Ipaq to ROM so that a hard reset will not wipe this stuff out.

This cannot be done with a Treo 700w. Where exactly is the persistent storage option in the Treo 700w? As in the Jasjar or the Ipaq?

Persistent storage doesn't exist except for the installed programs and the WM5 OS-specific programs in ROM. Everything else, contacts, etc., are wiped out with a hard reset.
    ohh my friend, you should be asking yourself if you know the defination of Persistant Storage? I can tell you this, it is not defined by how the devices handle a hard reset. Persistant Storage is the ability for user data to be stored in ROM instead of RAM and this is exactly what the Treo700w does. Load up your Treo and take the battery out for several hours. In a WM2003 device all of the data would be gone and the device would revert back to factory state. The Treo700w will fire back up and all of your data will be there, go ahead try it.

What you are describing is the difference between the way the devices handle hard resets. The I-mate devices force you to use the "Clear Storage" app to erase the data, the Treo700w uses a "format storage" at hard reset option that removes this extra step.

As for performing a hard reset and not clearing storage, I have learned that this is usually a bad thing. When you hard reset the OS is set back to factory default so the registery of the OS doesn't know what programs you installed, where you installed them etc.. It's a good thing to do a "clear storage" every time you hard rest.

If you want more information on Persistan Storage to educate yourself, I suggest you read the following links...

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...14/438991.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...18/440092.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...18/440139.aspx

Hard reset usually means return to factory state. I don't think what you mentioned is possible unless your contacts are stored on the SIM. Back up all your info somehow before doing a hard reset.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The original posting sounds like one fundamental issue drove the rest of the malcontent. My guess is that the original poster is in an area of marginal coverage where the phone is constantly switching between poor signals and data modes.

If you are in poor coverage and want to use a CDMA phone, your best betw is to go for a dual-mode analog/digital phone from Verizon. Alternately use a GSM phone from Cingular or T-Mobile if coverage is better in your area.

My secondary theory is that you installed a bunch of older software such as Today plugins that were written for Pocket PC 2003 or older. This can slow your phone to a crawl. Old plugins and some older software can really make Windows Mobile 5 behave like a pig.
    no it is not me---I swear. But atleast I'm notthe only one having issues. I think the problem is I guess I would be considered a "power user": 5000+ minutes a month. I'm not sure these devices can handle constant usage.
    I guess I'm lucky the only problem i've had with my phone was the freezing every few days , Coming from HP6515 from tmobile which I had to reboot every hour this phone is awsome, I agree the Memory sucks, MSFP Isn't ready, EVDO works great and with the exception of being on the phone is Always connected, Oh and A bigger screen wouldn't have hurt either.
    so your saying that we should just accept when companies put products to market that have issues? If there are problems they should be disclosed. I never heard the guy at the verizon store who sold me this $400 piece of **** tell me to expect problems. When I buy a product I expect it to work, unless it is broken. The problem here is that these phones are not broken and they don't work. If you go and buy a car and the salesman said, "hey, just so you know, this car doesn'tr start consistently, you wouldn't buy it would you?
    Further, when a car or any other manufacterer finds a fault- they recall the prodcut or fix the issue. Verizon and Palm are aware of the issues and have not done squat about it. You cannot get a straight answer.
    Did you own a 650 also? If so, you know Palm uses buyers as beta testers. If not, well welcome to Palm's way of doing business!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Lady, the lawsuit should be about Palm's attempt to hide the fact that the 700w has only 32MB of RAM. Look at the way it is advertised. It looks like 60MB free. Every other Windows phone is advertised 128/64 and xxMB free. Palm knew what it was doing and committed a fraud on the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by olympus1
    so your saying that we should just accept when companies put products to market that have issues? If there are problems they should be disclosed.
    Two thoughts come to mind:

1. Why would you "accept" a product you deem bad when you don't have to? It's your wallet, and presumedly the money in it is yours too. Verizon is nice enough to give you two weeks, no questions asked, to return the phone and walk away if you don't like it. After that 14 days, you're expected to live up to the contract you signed as an adult.

2. Which "issues" should be disclosed? All the issues listed on this board - including the ones that are unconfirmed, unrepeatable, occurring in rare instances? You need to be more specific than that before holding a company to a standard you can't define.
    Quote Originally Posted by AceMarlak
    am i the only one that has really had no problems, maybe because i have only 2 third party app (texas holdem and pocketweather) i guess i dont push or run my treo as hard as others i jus use it mostly as a phone and jus use the calender for appt and schedule. i guess i see my treo as a phone first
    That's pretty much me (I run the software apps that came on the verizon cd, cubis and picsel pdf viewer, and illium eWallet), but my unit is hardly reliable. I'm on my fourth hard reset in three months after active sync failure. I only want this thing to function as a phone and pda with stock software and it doesn't even do that.
    Failure, Hard re-stes, Registry edits, should NOT be words Im using when I pay $500 for a device. As a consumor I expect these devices to be fully tested and functional before they are released. I am SO glad I looked at a bunch of message boards before I went down this road.
    I've had my Treo700w since it came out and while there is a rare lockup, it has been a spectacular phone. The amount of lock ups is no more than that of your PC. Great phone, great service (verizon), great everything.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AceMarlak
    i keep hearing how the treo 700w is the best wm device to date, if thats the case i can only imagine the complaints others have had, its like no matter what new technology comes out there will always be that percentage of people who some how think they were scammed and want some sort of hand out, you should kno when u buy any kind of smartphone there will be problems its not ur normal nokia phone i mean for all purposes its a computer on a phone, do you have problems with ur pc everyone and while, if you want a cell phone go get a cute LG vcast phone, otherwise deal with it
    Kirk, I wish you were what everyone else was saying, If that were the case I would be happily learning the way around a 700 today.
    I think what is important to keep in mind is that a large majority of the members of this newsgroup are serious power users. That means using hacks, installing numerous sw applications, overclocking, and pushing this thing to its absolute limits. I consider myself a power user but not to the degree that you often see here. It is a powerful phone. I think you would be very happy and I also think that a very large percentage of the users of this phone never even visit this site. That becomes quite evident if you scroll through a few conversations here, you will see a handful of the same names day in and day out. That represents only a fraction of a fraction of the users of the 700w. So, while there is a great deal of very valuable info here, take it with a grain of salt when it comes to those over the top negatives and so forth.

I'm an analyst so in my opinion I would not be surprised if you are seeing less than 1% of the those that have this phone, probably WAY less than that.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sports
    Kirk, I wish you were what everyone else was saying, If that were the case I would be happily learning the way around a 700 today.
    Kirkeric-

That is a fair point you made- however the item should be pushed to the absolute limit before it is brought to market to see if it can handle it- this dud, can't . I dare any of you to try and accomplish business with 5000 plus minutes a month on this thing and tell me how your day goes. Many people keep saying "just bring it back and get another phone" Well which phone would you suggest? The 6700 is almost impossible to manuever with one hand so thats out cause I drive all the time. The blackberry 7130e is a bigger lemon than this thing( trust me I had one) and the samsung I730 has a zillion issues of its own. Besides that I dont want another phone. I want this one to qork the way they claimed it should.
    Kirkeric, nevertheless, no WM device in that price range should have only 32MB RAM. 700w is the ONLY one! And the memory is what's causing some of the problems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast