1.    #1  
    Old news for most....but also cites new palm OS Treos coming.

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5064.html

"Release of Windows Mobile Treo smartphone by Palm constituted pinnacle of Windows Mobile platform. After this achievement Microsoft employees at mobile division loosened up, relaxed and became comfortably oblivious to the fact that globally Symbian still has over 80% of smartphone market share. It seems that only thing that counts for them is the US markt only..

However some clouds are gathering on the horizon: not only Palm OS powered new Treo smartphones are coming (that have better single-handed usage and require less keystrokes than Windows Mobile to achieve functions) but also existing (on sale!) Treo 700w is plagued with many problems:

1 small memory size of Treo 700w causes speed reduction of transfers of CDMA EVDO network,
    learn more here.
    2 it is possible to transfer only 25 music files with Microsoft DRM purchased over Internet,
    learn more here and here.
    3 AUTD on the Treo 700w uses SMS from the Exchange server to tell Pocket Outlook to synch - so users get charged for SMS messages (texts) although in reality they would prefer polling,
    learn more here.
    4 ROM upgrade with push email and stereo audio over Bluetooth for Treo 700w - has not been released yet - although other Windows Mobile phones already have it released

Some of these issues could be resolved by proper ROM upgrades, but the question only is: will Palm and Verizon Wireless care to do it?
    The device has been out now less than 4 months. I'm pretty confident that enough is at stake for Palm and Microsoft that these issues are going to be resolved. They *are* pretty easy fixes, so we just have to be patient for the update that is coming.

Overall I am very pleased with my Treo. I've used the Palm OS since they first came out
    and I still feel like Windows Mobile and the Treo700 allows me to do way more than I ever could with Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE

"2 it is possible to transfer only 25 music files with Microsoft DRM purchased over Internet,
    learn more here and here.
    I haven't had this problem with two different 700Ws. I have been able to transfer more than 25 on both. I bought one from Verizon and the other from Palm, both within days of the release.

Now, I have encounterd plenty of other DRM issues...
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE

"3 AUTD on the Treo 700w uses SMS from the Exchange server to tell Pocket Outlook to synch - so users get charged for SMS messages (texts) although in reality they would prefer polling, learn more here."
    Non-issue. If you call Verizon technical support or customer service and tell them you're using AUTD with your 700w they will add a 2000 SMS/month plan to your phone for free if you are paying for the unlimited data plan.