Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Watch the movie

http://mobilitytoday.com/news/006317...treo_evdo_poor

"Many of you are aware for the past 3 weeks I have been having some serious problems with the Verizon Treo 700w. The problem I am having is that the Treo 700w is hanging when I go to sync with my Exchange Server. I have been using a Sprint PPC-6700 recently and gave it a test. First of all NO exchange email problems to the same server along with 3-4 times faster than the Treo 700w.. This video says it all and I think Palm and Verizon need to explain why this is happening on the ever so popular Treo700w. Also users should note Verizon's EVDO is $44.95 and Sprint's EVDO is $15.00!!! We definitely deserve some sort of explanation."

Originally assumed to be an intentional verizon cap, current thinking is Treo memory resource issues.
    Am I the only one noticing the difference in the way he conducts the tests? I don't want to say yet -- who else sees what he does differently on both devices?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SUnwdT2Znko << XV6700 on Verizon & doesn't hang.

Now he did say the test never finishes; I just tried it on my Treo and it finishes with 281kbps. I'm going for a Treo memory issue; as speed tests when tethered to my laptop get around 600kbps.
    In addition to the little thing he does each time on the Sprint 6700 (I'm waiting for someone else to notice) why didn't he compare with the VZW 6700? Maybe he doesn't have one but still...

I wonder how much Sprint paid him to pull that off?
    I think it is the processor personally. If so that blame goes to Palm not VZW. I do not have this kind of issue with my 6700 and in EVDO get as high as 2mb speed in some areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Am I the only one noticing the difference in the way he conducts the tests? I don't want to say yet -- who else sees what he does differently on both devices?
    Well the icon is different on the 6700. Two arrows and a solid white box? Shouldn't it say EV? or is he using wifi, lol. (Mind everyone, I have no clue what icon shows up if you use wifi) - As for anything else, I dunno what you might have seen.
    Look what he does at the point where the test stalls briefly on the 6700. I thought it was a fluke until I noticed that he repeated the action on a subsequent test.
  8.    #8  
    The only thing I remember was that he refreshed the page after completing the test on the 6700 but didn't referesh the Treo, but I wrote that off to not needing to since the test didn't complete.
    Yeah, Im only seeing the refresh thing for sure; which shouldn't make a difference.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    We have been talking about this over at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110442

Perhaps a moderator can merge some of the posts over there to here.
    No Payoffs here guys. Palm has been working on this problem with me for 3.5 weeks and has 0 to show for it! I informed them I was going public with it and they told me I had to do what I had to do!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SUnwdT2Znko << XV6700 on Verizon & doesn't hang.

Now he did say the test never finishes; I just tried it on my Treo and it finishes with 281kbps. I'm going for a Treo memory issue; as speed tests when tethered to my laptop get around 600kbps.
    My speed test results are never lower than 611Kbps on my Treo 700W.
    How much memory do you have available?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I think it may be an antenna problem with the treo or maybe memory leaks like people have been speculating.
    But I had 1 bar while shopping at the mall with my wife on my treo but my business verizon phone had full strength.
    The phone also was in 1xrtt mode as opposed to EVDO. Tried soft reset and even did *228 as a just in case.
    I may need to do some more travelling with this thing to compare but i sure do hope VZW or Palm take a look at this.
    AKay
    Lets put it this way Microsoft was more concerned than Palm and Verizon wasnt even involved!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    The only thing I remember was that he refreshed the page after completing the test on the 6700 but didn't referesh the Treo, but I wrote that off to not needing to since the test didn't complete.
    Close but not quite. He does something prior to the completion on the 6700 -- each time. Look again.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Does he say "boom, boom, boom"?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Notice that his data connection goes dormant when it hangs at 147KB...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I notice the device slow down to a crawl (even the star menu takes a few seconds to come up) when you have just over 3MB's of free memory and you try to do the 600KB test... it takes the memory down to just over 2MB's and the device struggles to do anything until the speed test completes. Once it completes the memory jumps back up to over 3MB's.

I think its lack of resources on the device when trying to do that test (that the test itself is causing) that is skewing the results.
    Last edited by gex; 03/26/2006 at 06:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    when the test finishes the device comes back to life and the memory is back at over 3MB's.... something with the way that test works and when the device is low on memory is having a big effect on this device.. dont think we would have encountered the situation if it had 64MB's of memory like the 6700 does.... but I think it would be repeatable on the 6700 if we could get it under the same conditions.
    Last edited by gex; 03/26/2006 at 06:25 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast