Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I think for the most part everything is fine and we should ignore this "report".

It was irresponsible of them to make such claims without doing more extensive tests.

.... I can force my device to get into a condition where I can simulate his results but would not expect this to effect most users.
    Well I called Verizon Wireless Data Technical Support and told them about my slow EVDO speed tests so they had me test my speed at infospeed.verizon.net and toast.net 3 times each. The results ranged between 65k and 365k. Mostly around 100k range though. They had me repeat the tests again with similar to worse results. Then they had me do a hard reset and retest. Made no difference.

Then they opened an escalation ticket and had a tech disable the flix & pix feature cuz they said it sometimes interferes with the speed. Don't ask me, I'm just forwarding the info. They had me call *22899 to reprogram the phone and then made me redo the tests. Interestingly enough the tests now came out between 400k and 550k. Still not the 700k that others in my area have, but much better than what I had before. The escalation ticket is still open and they are looking into the problem further. i'll post again once they call back with an update.
    Verizon Wireless Technical Support (keith) called me today he checked my connection which seemed to be set up ok on their end. He admitted that my speeds were slow, but he claims that Verizon only commits to providing EVDO speeds on the air card, not on EVDO phones. Jaw dropped. Huh?!?! Needless to say I complained and the net result is that they are sending me a new phone. I should get it next week. I'll post the results once I get it.

Oh, and he also said this is the first time he heard anyone complaining about their treo speeds.
    Breaking News! It's not the treo that is the problem, it's the EVDO network in my area. I drove out to Falls Church, VA where others were having good results and lo and behold I got consistent rates between 700 to 900+kbps.

I called Verizon back to hold off on sending another phone. They are now sending someone out to my area to investigate the network problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    Breaking News! It's not the treo that is the problem, it's the EVDO network in my area. I drove out to Falls Church, VA where others were having good results and lo and behold I got consistent rates between 700 to 900+kbps.

I called Verizon back to hold off on sending another phone. They are now sending someone out to my area to investigate the network problem.
    Maybe they need to send the "Can you hear me now?" guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by VZWuser
    Maybe they need to send the "Can you hear me now?" guy.
    I felt like that guy today driving around repeating the speed test. I found it very enlightening. So when I found a very good spot my downloads were flying. I did several tests while I was there. I tried loading up a few programs to get the ram down to 2mb and repeated the speed test. I got >800kbps repeatedly. So much for the lack of resources theory.

I also ran my slingplayer with the stats on and I was getting 30fps at a sustained rate >300kbps which is about where my max upload speed is on my home cable connection.

When i was not in an optimal spot there really wasn't any way to tell just by looking at the number of signal bars showing. 4 bars could mean 100kbps in some areas, and when there were only 2 bars sometimes I'd get >400kbps readings. Makes me think that either the bar meter is inaccurate or the phone signal and EVDO signal are two different things.

There were several times when not in optimal spots the speed test stalls. My theory of what is going on is that errors are detected causing the download rate to drop while it figures out what the safe rate is at the time and then eventually will work it's way back up. I think Verizon has some work to do in this area because sometimes it seems that it never recovers.
    If I stop the test and restart it then it typically will finish. I don't think it has anything to do with rate limiting.

Another thing I noticed is that you can be in a spot that is perfect and go down the street 500 feet and your downloads all of a sudden drop in half. Not sure if it's related to electrical disturbances from power lines or objects blocking the signal or something else, but it seems really sensitive.
    Well considering the 3G standards and EVDO Rev A and Rev B ranges. The EVDO is not broadcast with the same distance standards so from a cost savings perspective it would be possible that not all towers in a given coverage area would be transmitting both the 1X and EVDO signals. This could explain the differences in coverage.

Hard to tell without an actual site survey of those areas.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123