Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    did someone remove the video?

I personally am finding this to be fishy since I can no longer find the video.
    Youtube went down.. Thats why you cant see it.. It should be back
    Yep.

PLEASE NOTE TITLE CHANGED OF ARTICLE DUE TO CONFUSION. WE ARE STATING DUE TO MEMORY ISSUES ON THE 700W EVDO IS BECOMING CAPPED DUE TO A SIGNIFICANT RESOURCE ISSUE. PLEASE ALSO NOTE PEOPLE HAVE TRIED THE VERIZON XV-6700 AND HAVE HAD SIGNIFICANT SPEEDS.
    That is part of what I was saying.

Also, if you notice in the video, the screen (or the icon at the bottom of the screen) on the Sprint phone is always tapped just before completion. They should have done the same thing on the Palm 700w. It kind of give it a shot in the arm and helps the page or the operation to complete.

The problem is attributed to the lower 700w memory and rightly so. I've gotten very fast speeds with my XV6600 as well.
    I would not find it surprising to learn that VZ caps the EVDO speed. Although I did notice in this video that the Sprint Device had 3 bars of signal and the 700 only 1 bar.

I had a problem way back when with my Kyo 7135. Data speeds on the 1X network were only 19kbps. That's right, 19 kilo-bits per second, not kilobytes. I called VZ and after 2 hours with tech support and all the resets in the world, I was finally connected to a guy who simply asked me what speed I expected. I told him "the 90k that was advertised". After about a minute of waiting, he said, "try it now".

I did try it....and guess what? 120kbps downstream.

Nothing on the handheld had changed.
    My i730 gets 500-700 kpbs on dslreports.
    My Treo 700w gets 500-700 kbps on dslreports.

Am I supposed to be seeing a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    My i730 gets 500-700 kpbs on dslreports.
    My Treo 700w gets 500-700 kbps on dslreports. Am I supposed to be seeing a difference?

Apparently someone is seeing the EVDO stalls that Verizon has been working on in some markets for some time now and they are taking the opportunity to bash verizon.

If they arent happy with Verizon then they need to switch. Dont want to pay the early term fee? File a complaint with the FCC and VZW will let you out with no term fee.
    I thought EV-DO speeds were heavily influenced by signal strength? If so, how is this an apples to apples comparison? There's no way to make the call this author did unless they at least are using two phones on the same network, which will increase the odds that the signal strength is similar, assuming the phones are near one another.
    For goodness sakes, the author of the video has "clarified" his claim. (The test was faulty from the beginning.) The problem with these kinds of threads, people jump on the bandwagon and support a erroneous claim even after it has been retracted.

I'm getting fast speeds on my 700w - I just tested and got 696 kbit/sec with less than 9 MB available memory. (I'll upload the screen.)
    I occasionally see downloads stall like in the video using the same test page. Even with 4 bars and right after a soft reboot. Other times it completes and then the fastest speed I get is 246kbit/sec, but more typically below 200. So I see some legitimacy to the claim there is a problem. It might be region specific though. Anyone else in the Northern Virginia area want to post your results for a comparison? Maybe I need to give Verizon a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    when the test finishes the device comes back to life and the memory is back at over 3MB's.... something with the way that test works and when the device is low on memory is having a big effect on this device.. dont think we would have encountered the situation if it had 64MB's of memory like the 6700 does.... but I think it would be repeatable on the 6700 if we could get it under the same conditions.
    I find it hard to believe that it is a memory resource problem since when I run this test on my treo when connected via usb to pc I get > 1mbps rates. Same memory, same processor, different connection. I put my money on either a EVDO driver/radio issue or data rate limiting by Verizon.
    I emailed verizon about the problem. Hopefully if enough of us squeak we'll get some oil.
    Heh - while watching the video, I did 4 x 600k tests while the author did 3 x 200k tests with the 6700 (483, 667, 611, 598 kbps). OMG! Sprint is capping the PPC-6700 EVDO rates!
    This is the main problem with the internet.

Truth and competence are not prerequisites for using it.
    Last edited by VZWuser; 03/27/2006 at 10:22 PM.
    I was having the same problem. Did a soft reset and it came back at 601. Kept retesting, had a few lower, then got 729 kbit/sec 0.454 latency 7.038 d/l time. For some reason the site recorded the results.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    I find it hard to believe that it is a memory resource problem since when I run this test on my treo when connected via usb to pc I get > 1mbps rates. Same memory, same processor, different connection. I put my money on either a EVDO driver/radio issue or data rate limiting by Verizon.
    I emailed verizon about the problem. Hopefully if enough of us squeak we'll get some oil.
    I'm rather sure that the stalls are because of a resource problem with Pocket Internet Explorer on the 700w with that particular test. I don't think it is an EVDO driver/radio issue at all like MobilityToday first reported.

Get your device down to about 2MB's then run the test...while its running (it should stall) try to bring up the start menu... should come up really slow...once the test finishes the device is speedy again.

Don't know how to explain this other than that particular speed test with Pocket Internet Explorer and low resources causes the device to seriously slow down and is skewing the results because of it.

I don't think this is a cause for concern as this is the only situation I have seen it slow down like this. Other wise the built in memory management features of WM5 are working fine for me.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ....when I run this test on my treo when connected via usb I get > 1mbps rates. Same memory, same processor, different connection. I put my money on either a EVDO driver/radio issue or data rate limiting by Verizon..
    Oh your saying that while tethered to your PC you get greater that (>) 1mbps rates? That's awfully good.. fastest I have seen (on the device) is 812bps.

That actually confirms that it is the mspeed test with PIE and low resources unless im miss-understating you.

Again, I dont think it is a VZW issue at all... or really much of an issue what so ever... it has 32MB's of memory and we just have to learn how to deal with that limitation.

I was sorry to see the reporting of MobilityToday's findings done the way it was.... I though MSMobiles.com took over their site for a sec
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Oh your saying that while tethered to your PC you get greater that (>) 1mbps rates? That's awfully good.. fastest I have seen (on the device) is 812bps.

That actually confirms that it is the mspeed test with PIE and low resources unless im miss-understating you.

Again, I dont think it is a VZW issue at all... or really much of an issue what so ever... it has 32MB's of memory and we just have to learn how to deal with that limitation.

I was sorry to see the reporting of MobilityToday's findings done the way it was.... I though MSMobiles.com took over their site for a sec
    I think you are still misunderstanding me. When I have my Treo connected via USB to my pc that is connected to the internet I run the mspeed test using PIE on my treo and get >1mbps result. If there was a memory resource or cpu resource issue with the treo and that test it should also show up in this case, but it didn't.

I agree with you that if you reduce the available memory by opening up a bunch of programs it will slow it down. But I am seeing the issue with the stalled test even with 9mb of free ram. Therefore I came the the conclusion that it's either the EVDO radio or driver, or Verizon doing something wacky in my region.

However since others are reporting consistent fast readings I can either assume one of two things. Either some treo's are lemons or Verizon is doing wacky things in my region. If others in the Northern Virginia area can run the mspeed test and report here I could rule out one of these two.
    If others in the Northern Virginia area can run the mspeed test and report here I could rule out one of these two.
    The tests I listed in my previous post in this thread were performed near the corner of US29 and Gallows Road in NoVa. This morning I got 3 tests in the high 700s near Gallows Rd and the Beltway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    The tests I listed in my previous post in this thread were performed near the corner of US29 and Gallows Road in NoVa. This morning I got 3 tests in the high 700s near Gallows Rd and the Beltway.
    Hmm. Starting to think I got a lemon. My one last hope is that verizon might be able to do some magic on their end to fix my download speed. I drove all over the NVA area and never get speeds over 250kbps.
    http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed/

Treo 700w:

San Diego, CA Tests:

600k = 443 kbit/sec
    600k = 787
    600k = 321
    600k = 585
    600k = 510

200k = "unstable/too fast a result (2.85s) please choose a larger file"

I think the guy is nuts, or just had some Internet issues at the time of his test. Mine has always been fast, wherever I go.

Verizon states 400-700 kbps and I got over that. Not a bad deal!
    Last edited by sourmash; 03/28/2006 at 01:58 PM.
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast