1.    #1  
    NOTE: I posted this on the WebIS forum, but the chance of it being answered within my lifetime is remote. You guys always have the answers (hint, hint).

First of all, I CAN'T STAND Pocket Outlook's email client. So, I'm looking for a replacement. I bought FlexMail with that in mind.

1. Can you map the "Messages" key to FM? I installed FM as the default mail client, but the "Messages" key still takes me to pOutlook. Should I map another key to FM? If so, does that mean that the "Messages" key is useless now?

2. I've got 3 different accounts (services) set up in FM, along with all the proper (I think) settings, including polling for emails every 10 minutes. What do I have to do to keep FM actively polling? When I press the "OK" hard key, it seems to close the app, but I notice it's still cooking in the Running Apps dialog (press and hold the OK key). Does that mean it's still polling?

3. My 3rd question had to do with Notifications; I think I figured it out.

4. What do I have to do to pOutlook to prevent it from receiving emails?

If anyone has successfully integrated FM with their 700, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarlin

1. Can you map the "Messages" key to FM? I installed FM as the default mail client, but the "Messages" key still takes me to pOutlook. Should I map another key to FM? If so, does that mean that the "Messages" key is useless now?

2. I've got 3 different accounts (services) set up in FM, along with all the proper (I think) settings, including polling for emails every 10 minutes. What do I have to do to keep FM actively polling? When I press the "OK" hard key, it seems to close the app, but I notice it's still cooking in the Running Apps dialog (press and hold the OK key). Does that mean it's still polling?

3. My 3rd question had to do with Notifications; I think I figured it out.

4. What do I have to do to pOutlook to prevent it from receiving emails?

If anyone has successfully integrated FM with their 700, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks.
    1. What Messages Key? You mean the left soft key on the bottom left hand side of screen? If you press Messages and it opens POutlook, you need to soft reset, uninstall FM, soft reset and Reinstall FM and chose for it to be the default Mail app. When I had FM as the default mail app, I could never open POutlook.

2. Yes if it is when you press OK on almost all apps, it stays open, just minimized 'behind' the today screen. Until you start opening too many more apps, and Windows will start to close some apps for you as you run out of memory.

4. I'm 90% positive FM uses the same databases as POutlook. So if you set FM as the default you'll never open POutlook again, but the data will still be there.

My 2 cents...I'd make a backup before you make any program the default app just in case you don't like it and it doesn't unistall cleanly.

I tried FM but I really like how POutlook will suggest contact names as I type email addresses. And the notifications never seemed to work quite as nice as POutlook. And it uses a fair amount of memory.

They are working on a whole new re-write of FM to be faster, lighter and have many new features like suggesting contacts. It will be a full upgrade and current owners will have to pay an upgrade fee. So I'm waiting to try out the new version.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, hotrod. Unfortunately, I have tried 3 or 4 times following your instructions and cannot get the "Messaging" softkey to launch the app; it keeps going back to pOutlook. Thanks anyway.
    Jeff:

I am looking for the same thing. When I scroll down to messages on the today screen and select it by pressing the action button, I want FM to open but I am still getting pOutlook.

I also miss how pOutlook on the Treo recognizes emails and phone numbers in the body of the email.

Steve
    Jeff,
    During the re-installation process, Are you given a choice to choose FM as the Default app? Are you using the most current release and/or beta release? Are installing it from a CAB or using the desktop installer? If desktop, try using a CAB file.

For future ref, sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) ActiveSync saves old install files in its folders and uses them everytime you try to install an upgrade. On your PC go to C:Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\ and delete the program folder you are trying to update, if there.

I stopped using FM 2 betas before the release, so maybe it's a bug in the Released version, send them an email. But when I had it, I tried several options to allow me to open POutlook, and when FM was the default mail handler, there was NO way I could do it. Maybe it's a bug.

I just found I was missing so many things from POutlook.... email suggestion from contacts, phone#'s in messages, and I had problems with notifications not working properly either....and memory space..
    As long as you don't choose FM as your default mail client when installing, the Messaging soft key on the T700 should still open POutlook. Then just map the FM application to another button.
  7.    #7  
    Finally found the answer...you have to integrate FM with SMS services in order to make it launch from the left hand soft key. There is an option in the Settings screen that allows you to set this. Once I did, it launches correctly. Hotrod picked up on what seems to be FM's biggest fault - not suggesting addresses as you type. However, the ability to check all 3 boxes without switching screens, the use of an automatic default BCC and a full signature box offsets that deficiency for me.
    Does Flexmail disconnect your EVDO connection completely like POutlook does? Its really annoying.....
  9.    #9  
    I'm in a 1X area until Friday - will let you know when I get back to EVDO land.
    what i mean is that in POutlook, when you do auto send/receive, after it is done, it disconnects the connection completely, so even if you are using internet explorer, it will get disconnected, and you have to completely reconnect again in order to use the data. its a bug that microsoft is working on (apparently).
    is there any way to stop flexmail from popping up every 2 min or so? it pops up when it's running in the backgroud. it gets really annoying when i'm surfing the web or something. any fixes? thanks!
  12.    #12  
    Yep, it's one of those "features" that developers figured we needed. Maybe there's a setting to stop it, but I can't find it. I've worked with FM for a couple of days; I'll put up a full report today.
  13.    #13  
    Ok, here's a pretty good review of FlexMail.

The Positives
    1. Handles multiple accounts without having to switch from one to another.
    2. Allows normal sized signature blocks.
    3. Allows automatic BCC'ing to pre-designated address.
    4. Maps to the "Messaging" softkey.
    5. Well though out interface, mostly one-handed.

The Negatives
    1. EXTREMELY memory hungry. It'll chew you down in a heartbeat. I'm trying not to soft boot and see if I can make do with the 3mb I have available. Can cause the device to get a bit sluggish at times, but not to the point where it's a deal killer.
    2. Occasional bugs, primarily with what appear to be memory conflicts; rare, but they happen.
    3. The FM screen appears every time the app syncs email; very annoying.
    4. Documentation is ok, but no better than that.
    5. Some more one-handed functionality should be employed.

All in all, I think I'll hold on to it. The developers claim they are working on a new version, with a release date about 6 months away. If they could handle the negatives I listed, this would be a terrific app. If the positives out weigh the negatives for you (as they do for me), try it. Otherwise, wait for the next version.
    Just for those of you who haven't or don't want to go to Pocketinformant.com's forums. Below is a quote from the CEO's Blog.

There are a lot of feature requests for 3.0 and all of them are good. But here are my goals for the first revision of 3.0 are very specific and focused:

1) Performance. This is the biggest. With the storage engine changes that Yuri is working on I hope this helps in a big way. We also want to look at the IMAP engine and the CEMIME* classes and how they currently require everything to be pre-loaded and predefined to do anything. Deleting email or just creating a new email message should not give us a 3 second delay. So this should be the first thing we work on as you are doing now with the storage engine changes. We also need to look at a lot of the dialog code to see why creating a new message dialog takes 3 seconds to display.

2) Transports. We need to improve current support for transports that we have such as POP3/IMAP4/SMS/ActiveSync. This includes adding IMAP IDLE support, an SMS message with a specific subject initiating an email receive check for a specific account, and being able to delete POP3 emails on the server when they are deleted locally - either automatically or manually per message. We've talked about rewriting the IMAP4 engine to support the IDLE interface as well as handling synching in a more robust fashion. Finally we need to support the mail flags for replied, read, unread, forwarded, and flagged.

3) Message Creation and Viewing. We need to support contacts auto-complete within the edit messages. We need a per message HTML Image option.

4) Management. We need incoming rules support for SMS, POP3, and IMAP4 transport types. These rules should allow a user to work off any header, message size, folder location, account, or addressbook list of an email and perform a series of actions that apply to that message (such as folder storage, replies, marking as read, showing a message, checking another account, creating an appointment or task based off the message, and so on)

5) <<xxxxxx>>

There are many other things I WANT to do such as HTML Editing for basic styles and image placements, Exchange GAL support, templates, Contact Pictures for WM5 messages, RSS support, HotMail support, Tree/Thread view, multiple signature support per account, templates, ActiveSync send/receive, and the list can go on. Those are very important things - for some they are critical and have a higher priority than my own list. but the above list is what I feel is necessary to get FlexMail in its next major release be something that will take us to the point where we can afford to start work on some of the more advanced features like the Tree/Thread view and RSS.

Then to summarize a bit about what the changes above means - my list can be broken up into the following benefits:

1) Performance. Mail starts up within a second. Everything runs so much faster.
    2) IMAP 4 IDLE is huge. It provides immediate notification of emails - its essentially the same as push email for IMAP.
    3) POP3 delete on server is also very oft requested.
    4) Mail flags for replied, forwarded, flagged
    5) Contacts auto-complete
    6) Per message HTML image viewing
    7) Searching
    8) Rules

Those are the things that I feel MUST be in 3.0 no matter what. The rest are great things I WANT in 3.0, but I'm not going to hold back release.

Here is the official upgrade policy for FlexMail 3.0: All purchases after FlexMail 2006 was officially released on March 11th will qualify you for a free upgrade. All purchases prior to that date will qualify for a $10 upgrade price.

I'd expect us to have a fully functional, but not well tested build of FlexMail 2007 that looks and works exactly like FlexMail 2006, but with the new engine fundamentals in place in about a month. Then comes testing and bug fixing. Then we can start work on the new features and design.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the info...very helpful.
    Oddly enough I'm back to Pocket Outlook unfortunately. Problems with Flexmail:

1) No way to easily delete messages received, e.g. Palm Snappermail just hit the D key
    2) No way to manually empty trash. I've found that clicking in prefs empty trash on exist doesn't always work.
    3) No way to select all and delete all the spam you've just downloaded
    4) Very, very slow to open
    5) Sometimes unable to send messages yet Outlook sends just fine within same location and conditions

I'm not sure how many benefits I'm really getting from Flexmail that I don't have in Outlook, as bad as Outlook is, other than the "send/receive all" which is great but the above are more important even than that.
  17.    #17  
    You're right on all your points. I removed FM and am using pOutlook for now. According to the FM forums, they're working on a new release complete with a new file system that's supposed to overcome the serious memory issues. With the latest pOutlook upgrades (from VZW), many of my issues have been resolved. I still have a few left, but it's at least tolerable. I'll wait for FM's next release and see what happens then...
    Thanks Jeff. I won't hold my breath for FM to get their act together. The one aspect of the UI that makes me shake my head is the delete message process. You have to right click on the drop down menu, then you need to scroll down a few spaces to get to another submenu that you need to navigate that allows you to choose delete. What in the world were they thinking? Did anyone use FM before release? Even Outlook is easier, which is scary. For now it's the only viable solution...