Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anybody run the benchmark test and get results?

I checked the results page and did not see an obvious Treo device... i.e. no 240x240 device.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    I've gotten between 180kbps and 1.4mbps. Usually 400-700kbps for me. I'm in the Detroit area.
    I just ran several tests and got 92-114/kbps. I only have 1xRTT in my area, no EVDO.
    yesterday I got 809, i usually average around 500.
    My phone is around 600bbit/sec in the suburbs outside Phoenix...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    600-700 for me in OC, California.
    Some results from testing I did a while back:
    (in KB/Sec):

1xRTT EVDO Home DSL
    DL UL DL UL DL UL
    SFO
    11.1 3.7 20.0 4.0 236. 25.0
    11.7 3.7 16.9 4.1 222.5 22.1
    11.7 3.8 18.8 4.0 182.5 23.6
    11.5 3.7

LAX
    6.5 4.2 20.7 4.6 204.9 22.9
    5.2 4.5 18.9 4.6 192.2 29.0
    5.9 4.2 20.8 4.5 211.5 22.2

Ave
    9.1 4.0 19.4 4.3 208.3 24.1

Max
    11.7 4.5 20.8 4.6 236.1 29.0

Min
    5.2 3.7 16.9 4.0 182.5 22.1
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Interesting THREAD (better, blaze?) on Verizons poor EVDO speeds people have experienced on their 700w:
    http://mobilitytoday.com/news/006317...treo_evdo_poor
    Last edited by plasmo; 03/26/2006 at 08:30 PM. Reason: per request
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Something is wrong... i just did the test and got:

789 kbit/sec

0.676s latency
    6.756s d/l time.

Wish I had a video camera to show my own results...

You know... I am really disappointed in David Ciccone. I thought of him as an impartial and trustworthy source but after seeing that video its almost as he has a personal vendetta against the 700w...maybe its just me but it sure seems that way...him and Chris over at pocketnow..

...i have no doubt that he got the results he is showing but it can vary widely from area to area and other conditions but that is not mentioned at all...
    Last edited by gex; 03/25/2006 at 07:06 PM.
    Gex, I understand your concerns but honestly Palm has issues with the 700w. One being Memory Leaks!!! Second being the radio inside this unit. I have been having problems for 4 weeks working with Palm and Microsoft in which Microsoft was extremely helpful but Palm wouldn't even pick up a phone to fully understand my problem. Nevertheless 4Smartphone.net has been having ALOT of Treo 700w customers with Syncing problems identical to mine. The evdo in this unit is definitely unstable. They have also recommended to *228 every two weeks! Take a look at the sticker on the unit when you purchased it.

I wouldnt have such a vendetta but this thing cost me A TON of money

$499 TREO 700w
    $175.00 EARLY CANCELLATION
    $449.00 SPRINT PPC-6700

Over $1,000 of costs, also BTW where is AKU2?? Do you think Verizon want to release it when they have wireless sync on the unit also???
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    There are so many different variables that could cause the results of your video. I personally have a hard time thinking it is anything specific to the 700w. I think it is more of a provider difference between the Sprint and the Verizon devices you show in the video. I've run the same speed test over and over and got results that varied from 300-700kbps sitting in the same place at the same time, with both the Treo 700w and the Samsung i730 on Verizon. I'm personally considering switching to Sprint in August when my Verizon contract is up because of their cheaper data plans.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilitytoday
    Gex, I understand your concerns but honestly Palm has issues with the 700w. One being Memory Leaks!!! Second being the radio inside this unit. I have been having problems for 4 weeks working with Palm and Microsoft in which Microsoft was extremely helpful but Palm wouldn't even pick up a phone to fully understand my problem. Nevertheless 4Smartphone.net has been having ALOT of Treo 700w customers with Syncing problems identical to mine. The evdo in this unit is definitely unstable. They have also recommended to *228 every two weeks! Take a look at the sticker on the unit when you purchased it.

I wouldnt have such a vendetta but this thing cost me A TON of money

$499 TREO 700w
    $175.00 EARLY CANCELLATION
    $449.00 SPRINT PPC-6700

Over $1,000 of costs, also BTW where is AKU2?? Do you think Verizon want to release it when they have wireless sync on the unit also???
    Granted you've had issues with performance on your Treo. Unfortunately others amongst us haven't had the specific experience you had. So there's a chance the issue MAY either be with your specific unit OR the EVDO network in your area. I'm sorry but to make a blanket statement, however, that VZW is capping EVDO AND that the Treo 700w has problems is simply not balanced journalism sir.

BTW I ran the exact same 600k test that you used in your podcast successfully... and I did it repeatedly.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I have done some additional tests and have noticed when using http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed that it occasionally causes the device to slow down to a crawl...and is causing the speed test results to be skewed.

My initial impressions are that this is being caused by the device getting low on resources (memory).

To get good repeatable results:
    • I start with going to Pocket Internet Explorer options and deleting file (dont know if this part NEEDS to be done but I do it).
    • I then do a soft reset and give the device a minute to start up. At this point you should have over 15MB's of memory free (I have 15.17 MB).
    • I start up IE and wait for the data connection to be established the the default home page to come up.
    • I go to http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed and select 600k.

I can consistently get good results from then on until the device starts running low on resources again.

One thing to note is that when the device is running low on resources everything else works fine... its just this particular speed test that gets hung up...perhaps something about it loading into memory? I really dont know and can only speculate but thought I would post my findings.

Another thing that is somewhat interesting is that my initial test where I got 700+ i got from picking up a device that had not been reset for weeks (for some reason I hate soft resetting...makes me feel uneasy )...but perhaps it did not have a lot of apps running at the time...im sure only activesync using AUTD (SMS triggered) and of course IE (is it still called PIE or have they started to call it MIE...Mobile Internet Explorer).

I then started a number of apps to get the memory down to a little over 2MB's and ran the test and was able to simulate Mobility todays issue of it hanging before the speed results screen.

I should state that these are non conclusive tests... just some quick observations. I do not beleive this was caused by Verizon intentionally limiting anything or that there is any sort of "cap" on the device in terms of data throughput capabilities.
    I got:

570 kbit/sec
    0.721s latency
    9.05s d/l time

on the 600k test, in an area with little to no service.

I did another (600k) test with all my programs open (don't really know if that would make a difference) and got:

1.46s
    15.965s

Just thought I would share.
    I agree TreoAK...seems like a memory issue. I get 660 kbit/sec after reset....try a second time and i get 320 kbit/sec. Third time I get a low resource message.

The memory leaks on this device are certainly problamatic, but they are workable. You can make sure you close apps....and soft reset once a day. I know for such a expensive device that does not makes sense. But it is what it is.

Hopefully WM5 and Device update will help.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I have not been able to reliably reproduce the experiance MobilityToday had... although it has happen to me but after a soft reset I keep getting good results consistently.

I have seen it happen in the past but just thought it was the web site (mspeed) that was getting hung up and not my device....or the building I was in (hi-rise Microsoft building in Irvine, CA) since it does not have good signal strenght there.

Again, it has not effected the way i use the device so I just go along my marry way and am enjoying it quite a bit.
    Last edited by gex; 03/26/2006 at 02:39 PM.
    Well thats my point.. A Soft Reset always does it justice! Memory leaks are very dangerous and hard to track what other problems are the cause of it.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I wonder if the update will fix this situation.... I heard somewhere that they worked a bit on memory optimizations but dont know if thats true...or remember where I heard it... (might of been from someone at palm).

Didnt really give it much thought as I wasnt and still dont experiance memory issues very much...ocationally I run out of resources to play an MP3 file right after it finnishes downloading but going to the memory app and quiting all programs always works for me...

I almost never do a soft reset... I do hard resets a lot more actually but thats after I test a program on the device and want to start fresh after im done.

I also dont run many third party apps... I only install eWallet, GSPlayer, Newsbreak, Picsel Viewer and Kevtris.

Dont run Voice Command as I would not use it often enough for it to be taking up so much memory in the background.....and only sync OTA using Exchange.. (I think desktop Activesync is evil )
    Lol.. Gex I cant comment but you better believe it... Can we say AKU2?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Well, if it is because of the 32MB's of memory instead of the 64MB's we were expecting I say fire the guy who made that decision

I really lay blame on Microsoft for Palm choosing to only go with 32MB's as they were sure that 32MB's would be more than enough and Palm probably believed them and though they would save a little on component costs to boot....and could then get additional sales when they do come out with a 64MB version.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast