Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    so the million dollar question? how does one find out which file?
    it would be easy to find if we could dump the rom, i dont think anyone figured that out yet either.

Does anyone know if windows search can be used for files on the mobile device when connected?
  3.    #23  
    Mystery solved (or at least we are getting closer)! The data is stored in the file PalmVol.vol in the root of my device. I deleted the file and low and behold the recently called list was zeroed out. I then re-copied it back in and wala, the recently called list was back.

Now I just need to find out what the heck that file is for and what format it is in. Maybe someone could write a utility to delete specific numbers? I know, I am pushing my luck.

Hopefuly there is no side effect to deleting that file. I will keep everyone posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by motocow
    Hopefuly there is no side effect to deleting that file. I will keep everyone posted.
    Yes, please do, I've been looking for a solution to this problem since January 7th (bought my 700w on day 1)
    I deleted the file and did a soft reset and it recreated a blank one. I removed it again and made several calls and it did not store the dialed numbers.

I then soft reset, made a couple more and it recreated the file, and began recording the history again.

good find.
  6.    #26  
    So far I have been running for two days now with the file renamed to palmvol2.vol and no bad side effects. One thing I noticed is if you rename the file and DO NOT soft reboot you completely disable the recelntly called list. So far so good.
    I saw the same thing, there is no recent history stored until you soft reset and the OS restores the file.
    Has anyone tried to look inside the file? Is it a text file? If anyone gets to the bottom of it 100%, I'd be happy to write the fix in to a little WM app.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Has anyone tried to look inside the file? Is it a text file? If anyone gets to the bottom of it 100%, I'd be happy to write the fix in to a little WM app.
    I copied the file to my PC and opened it with in UltraEdit, the only plain text parts are the redial list items which can be clearly seen, everything else is binary.
    Cool, it should be easy to just parse through then. I'll give it a shot. That way we can change the entries to empty string, or zero, and have less risk of side effects.
  11.    #31  
    That would be awesome! Thanks.
    Ok, i wrote an app that clears out the phone numbers, but now there is still a list of names to which the numbers are associated, and if you select one of them, it still calls the contact.

And I cant find anything delimiting those names and numbers. There seems to be a unicode &#23 a few characters after each number, but if i remove all the text from the beginning of the phone number to the delimiter, the recently called list just stops working.

I'll work on it some more after the weekend.
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 04/06/2006 at 04:01 PM.
  13.    #33  
    Thanks for your persistence.
    Hey, anybody have a new PalmVol.vol, one that in the fresh after hard reset state? If so, could you mail it to me? theBlaze at gmail dot com.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Hey, anybody have a new PalmVol.vol, one that in the fresh after hard reset state? If so, could you mail it to me? theBlaze at gmail dot com.
    You don't need a hard reset, once deleted a simple soft reset will generate a spanking fresh new one.
    Last edited by buzzword; 04/07/2006 at 12:00 AM.
  16.    #36  
    The file is on its way.
    Ok, thanks for all the help and advice. It's working, heres beta 1.

Install Instructions

1.) unzip
    2.) Run The Setup msi
    3.) Copy palmVolbak.vol to the root of your device
    4.) That's it

This is my first attempt at a piece of software for a mobile device, so bear with me. I wasn't able to figure out how to include the palmVolbak.vol file in the install package and get it to go where i want it. If any of you are able to give me some advice I'd be greatefull. I can be reached at theBlaze at gmail dot com.

Also, I will look at thinking of a name for software, and coming up with a better icon. Let me know if any of you have an idea on this as well.

Good Luck
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Awesome, thanks for your effort! Before I install this..can you explain what it does? Does this utility edit the existing palmVol.vol file, or replace it with a fresh one? My reason for asking is because I don't think we know yet if this file has any other purposes, correct?
    Yeah, that's a good point. The included palmVolbak.vol file is the file that shows up if i delete palmVol.vol and then do a soft reset. This little tool just replaces palmVol.vol with the backup. I have not seen any side effects so far.
  20.    #40  
    Just installed the package and it seems to work great. One item to note, I had 2.0 of .net installed and it required version 1.1.something, so I had to removed 2.0 and re-install an older version.

As for a name, how about "Call Erase" or "Recently Cleared"? As you can tell, my career is not in Marketing!

I also sent you an email letting you know that I am willing to test future versions or enhancements. One nice thing might be to integrate erasing the recently called list along with the call log. Might be more work than it is worth, but you may have a marketable product there?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast