Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am *this* close to ditching Verizon and the 700w - and my latest bill and journey through the customer service system may be the last straw.

My remotely hosted exchange server at 4smartphone.net sends the 700w a text message behind the scenes to signal that a new email has arrived (AUTD). I have already added the "PDA SMS 2000" allowance to my Verizon account which gives me 2000 free text messages each month for this purpose. What happens when you get over 3000 emails in a month like I did? The answer is that Verizon charges you 10 cents each for the 1000+ text messages over the 2000 allowance, resulting in $100 worth of usage fees. There is simply no way I can justify paying ~$250/month to use this thing. I called Verizon to complain and got passed around to a half dozen clueless reps before someone finally knew the right person to ask. It turns out there is no good solution here. I can add a text message package for 1000 ($10) or 2500 ($20) messages, but that displaces my free PDA SMS 2000 allowance, leaving me at least 500 messages ($50) short of full coverage. There is no unlimited text message plan that will work. The only thing I can do is get rid of the exchange hosting and set up Wireless Sync or POP3 polling, which I initially tried and hated. And if I'm going to lose the Exchange/Outlook 2003 synching, which I liked, then I might as well throw in the towel and go get a BB 8700 with true push email.

I suppose if we will have the AKU 2 and MSFP updates soon, perhaps that would be a solution, but as far as I know there is no firm release date for those yet. Anyone else faced this problem and come up with a good solution?
    I feel your pain, i just got my 700w recently and added the 2000 allow but still i knew that i was going to go over with the amount of email that i receive (~300/day). Comming from a blackberry and loving the true push i started out with the AUTD, but that didnt last. it was syncing all the time and eating up sms as you note. But wanting to keep the treo i have just set the device to sync every 10 min. so the 2000 sms are now for me to text away with and i so far do not mind not getting the mail the second it comes in. But that is only if in your situation you can wait at least 5 min to get your mail or longer. that is untill we get the ms push update.
    300 emails a day? somehow I question that number but if it is true set up a filter to move any non-important messages to a folder you simply check when near a computer that way you can have your AUTD and SMS also.
    You question 300? Many of us get over a thousand. But your point on server side filtering is valid. I used this to reduce traffic to my inbox for the very reason that mikelynch described.
    You get 1,000 emails a day? You really think many people get 1,000 valid emails a day? I think you have to be counting all junk emails, all spam and I am sorry but that is rediculous. There are 1,440 minutes in a day and I fail to believe that anyone recieves 1,000 valid personal emails in that period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelynch
    I am *this* close to ditching Verizon and the 700w - and my latest bill and journey through the customer service system may be the last straw.

My remotely hosted exchange server at 4smartphone.net sends the 700w a text message behind the scenes to signal that a new email has arrived (AUTD). I have already added the "PDA SMS 2000" allowance to my Verizon account which gives me 2000 free text messages each month for this purpose. What happens when you get over 3000 emails in a month like I did? The answer is that Verizon charges you 10 cents each for the 1000+ text messages over the 2000 allowance, resulting in $100 worth of usage fees. There is simply no way I can justify paying ~$250/month to use this thing. I called Verizon to complain and got passed around to a half dozen clueless reps before someone finally knew the right person to ask. It turns out there is no good solution here. I can add a text message package for 1000 ($10) or 2500 ($20) messages, but that displaces my free PDA SMS 2000 allowance, leaving me at least 500 messages ($50) short of full coverage. There is no unlimited text message plan that will work. The only thing I can do is get rid of the exchange hosting and set up Wireless Sync or POP3 polling, which I initially tried and hated. And if I'm going to lose the Exchange/Outlook 2003 synching, which I liked, then I might as well throw in the towel and go get a BB 8700 with true push email.

I suppose if we will have the AKU 2 and MSFP updates soon, perhaps that would be a solution, but as far as I know there is no firm release date for those yet. Anyone else faced this problem and come up with a good solution?
    For considerably less money you can get a hosted exchange server and GOODLINK deal from a place like mailstreet.com goodlink is $20 a month in addition to the hosting and uses data only. zero sms charges.

Plus it is true push.

I often get my messages with goodlink before my exchange client.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    There are a number of things you can try...

You can turn of "As Items Arive" altogether for set it only for peak or non peak times.

You can initiate a manual sync either through a send/receive in you inbox or in the Activesync app on the device....

You can set your peak times for only the times you want AUTD on... say 8-5?

etc, etc..
    I used to run BlackBerry units... but the push email thing never really did all that much for me. Sure, email came in instantly... and now my Treo 700w checks every 15 minutes. But seriously, if they needed a responce in less than 15 minutes, they should really be just calling me. If they send an email, they can wait 20 minutes (15min max to get the message + 5 to reply).

I figure the general population might check their email twice a day and sit down to reply... so my 20 minute return time isn't all that bad. If the world was going to explode, certainly they won't send an email. So I don't need to know instantly.

If I wanted to change to a 10 minute return, I could make it check every 5 minutes. If I make a call or get a call, it disconnects the internet and goes to the call anyway. (assuming im in an evdo area, apperently 1x doesn't support this.)

The BB might have had instant email... but the feature set blew ****. It doesn't do nearly the same amount of things as a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    I used to run BlackBerry units... but the push email thing never really did all that much for me. Sure, email came in instantly... and now my Treo 700w checks every 15 minutes. But seriously, if they needed a responce in less than 15 minutes, they should really be just calling me. If they send an email, they can wait 20 minutes (15min max to get the message + 5 to reply).

The BB might have had instant email... but the feature set blew ****. It doesn't do nearly the same amount of things as a Treo.
    I offered the push as an alternative. $20 for Good versus $100 in txt overage fees.

Have you used goodlink? Its like the best of both worlds, Real time email and all of the feature sets of the treo together.
    Quote Originally Posted by VZWuser
    I offered the push as an alternative. $20 for Good versus $100 in txt overage fees.

Have you used goodlink? Its like the best of both worlds, Real time email and all of the feature sets of the treo together.
    Haven't tried goodlink yet... might go ahead and try it; it would only, essentialy, add 8 bucks for me to my origional plan price. I signed up for the 15% discount if you have a government job [I can send the PDF if anyone wants it to fax over to verizon] so for 8 bucks maybe I'll try instant email on the Treo.
    You should just use scheduled syncing. If you are getting 1000 messages a day it might be easier just to do it on a schedule. I get a lot of e-mail. I'm an Admin. But I use filters and folders to sort my mail. And I don't have a problem with the tons of e-mail I get. All my alerts and such are sent to a folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by jin14
    You should just use scheduled syncing. If you are getting 1000 messages a day it might be easier just to do it on a schedule. I get a lot of e-mail. I'm an Admin. But I use filters and folders to sort my mail. And I don't have a problem with the tons of e-mail I get. All my alerts and such are sent to a folder.
    Yeah, if there are that many, you've got plenty to read while waiting for the next batch to sync.

As an aside. PAYING FOR 4 BYTES OF TEXT AT A TIME AFTER HAVING PAID $45 DOLLARS A MONTH FOR "UNLIMITED BROADBAND INTERNET" IS FREAKING ROBBERY!!!!!
    All valid points. Rememberm there is an upgrade coming out that will allow exchange to stop using sms for notifications. My IT dept is saying it should be released in the next month.
    For the Treo700w or another WM5 device?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if verizon will be giving email accounts after the exchange push upgrade is available or will I have to buy a seperate exchange server hosting plan? My bb friends at work are laughing at me because they get free push email accounts from cingular, but I have hope!
    Last edited by f1realtor; 03/24/2006 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    For the Treo700w or another WM5 device?
    I think he means WM5 AKU 2. Which i heard would be out in May, but I cant get definite word on that. I am not interested in push email, but i want the A2DP that will come with it.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamt
    You question 300? Many of us get over a thousand. But your point on server side filtering is valid. I used this to reduce traffic to my inbox for the very reason that mikelynch described.

How can you get 1000 valid emails a day? That's ridiculous!
    How do you tell how many text messages you use?

I have 4smartphone.net & am using email forwarding. Does that mean I am using text messages (mine is set for a scheduled sync every 5 minutes)?
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    There are a number of things you can try...

You can turn of "As Items Arive" altogether for set it only for peak or non peak times.

You can initiate a manual sync either through a send/receive in you inbox or in the Activesync app on the device....

You can set your peak times for only the times you want AUTD on... say 8-5?

etc, etc..

I dont have "as items arrive" turned on for my Treo, does that mean I am not using text messaging? I only have mine setup for scheduled syncing.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein
    I dont have "as items arrive" turned on for my Treo, does that mean I am not using text messaging? I only have mine setup for scheduled syncing.

How do you tell how many text messages you use?
    Yup.. you should not be using AUTD via text messages...

To see how many text messages im using I log into my account at vzw.com. It will also show you how much data and minutes you have used.

I think there is also a code you can send from the phone to check but i dont know it...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast