Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AceMarlak
    so i have to have it routed thru my house there isnt a web site connected to it that i can stream directly from oh and by the titans are lookin alot better im lovin the FA signing, from one titans fan to another!
    Go Titans!!!

The reason there is no service cost is it uses your cable / Satellite connection and your internet connection, it is just the appliance that streams it.

you can hook basic cable up to it and use it as a tuner also.
    I think everyone should email

ppc_devices@slingmedia.com

and ask them to port it to the palm os. Drop em a line! I did! Who knows...
    This is truely a killer app. No monthly charges and you can watch all your cable shows anywhere you like. Driving to work, on vacation, even in the bathroom.

I installed the mobile player and it works great! This app alone justifies paying the $40 per month data fee. Even if you are in a 1x area you can listen to your tv shows using the Audio Only option. And btw, the doc for the beta player says that there will be a full screen version for the 700w in a future drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    This is truely a killer app. No monthly charges and you can watch all your cable shows anywhere you like. Driving to work, on vacation, even in the bathroom.

I installed the mobile player and it works great! This app alone justifies paying the $40 per month data fee. Even if you are in a 1x area you can listen to your tv shows using the Audio Only option. And btw, the doc for the beta player says that there will be a full screen version for the 700w in a future drop.
    I was in a 1X area yesterday and tuning the player to "low action" was actually able to view the video over 1x streaming.

You are right, for something with no monthly fee, this is a killer app. It should sell a huge pile of hardware for these guys.

Too bad it wasn't out last Thurs / Fri so I could have taken full advantage of my mega march madness.
    so you can hook it up through cable how would i go about settin this up?
    Got Treo?
    so you can hook it up through cable how would i go about settin this up?
    Buy a slingbox and hook it up to your cablebox/tivo/dvr or any other video source. Then connect the slingbox to your internet connection. Get it working on your home pc then install the mobile player on your 700w. It's a easy installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip

I installed the mobile player and it works great! This app alone justifies paying the $40 per month data fee.
    Doesn't Verizon TOS say that this type of use is not allowed in their coveted 'Unlimited plan'? Most people think it probably won't be enforced unless all the PPC users overload their data network, but I wouldn't put it past Verizon to see the potential for additional revenue.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    oh well im not that tech savy yet but def sounds like somethin i would want...eventually
    Got Treo?
    yeah well if that cant take away ur contract that you signed so there is really nothin they can do if you have the unlimited plan
    Got Treo?
    Actually yes, it's in your TOS about no streaming video, aduio, etc. There was a press release about this last month thats says, it's not really enforced unless it's "abused"
    What does it offer that ORB doesn't?
    well it was jus offered to me as unlimited they never said that to me but that sucks
    Got Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by russmd
    What does it offer that ORB doesn't?

With the Slingbox you do not have to have a computer or media center running. Slingbox is it's own device that hooks up right to your cable or sat box. and sends the signal itself to the internet.
    well it was jus offered to me as unlimited they never said that to me but that sucks
    I don't know if anyone that has been dinged for using too much bandwidth with there unlimited data plan, although there has been a couple of complaints online.
    I have been reading more and more posts of people having their data service cut off after streaming 3-4 gigs per month. I streamed 4 gigs on my last billing cycle streaming 3-4 hours a day, mostly just audio. I also believe that unlimited means unlimited. I currently use ORB and I am thinking about using Slingbox. I just hate to get any hassles. If I was running an Internet Cafe off my Treo I can see Verizon's point, but watching some TV and listening to some internet radio does not seem too extreme, especially after the $140 they drain from me monthly.

Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink57
    I streamed 4 gigs on my last billing cycle streaming 3-4 hours a day, mostly just audio. I also believe that unlimited means unlimited.
    I've been dinged 4 times in the last 21 months (mostly air card). It seems the trigger was consistent data usage over 4 gb per month. In every case, a phone call to CSR got my data reconnected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I've been dinged 4 times in the last 21 months (mostly air card). It seems the trigger was consistent data usage over 4 gb per month. In every case, a phone call to CSR got my data reconnected.
    I hate to have to go through that and I read posts from others that have not been as lucky. My luck, I will be stuck with a useless $250 brick (the Slingplayer I can't use) and a Treo with no internet access. Ouch

Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink57
    I hate to have to go through that and I read posts from others that have not been as lucky. My luck, I will be stuck with a useless $250 brick (the Slingplayer I can't use) and a Treo with no internet access. Ouch

Neil
    I have checked and it appears the data usage for the slingplayer is approximately 700k per minute. 42MB per hour of TV ~ approx.

I figure usage at 20 or so hours a month = less than a gig.

They will not terminate you the first time, you can get it restored. Also if you have a b2b deal, they will be less likely to try to hammer you.

I know someone who tried to get terminated to avoid the early term fee and they did not even hit him for 6 GB usage.

Guess it depends on the size of the business contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    I think everyone should email

ppc_devices@slingmedia.com

and ask them to port it to the palm os. Drop em a line! I did! Who knows...
    Done.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    The Slingbox looks interesting, but I also agree that Orb can do most of the basic functions of the Slingbox...my computer is always on anyway, and Orb is free, whereas the Slingbox hardware is $250...interesting concept though.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast