1.    #1  
    I apologize if this is covered in another thread somewhere.

My IT department is adamant that they will not support Treo due to security/encryption issues. We utilize Exchange Server, but do NOT have OWA access. To access from my laptop at home, I have to fire up a VPN, then connect to a remote desktop--it's a huge pain.

I have been trying to automatically forward emails from my work Outlook to a Yahoo or Hotmail account so I can see my emails when travelling, but there must be some type of block in our Outlook setup because they won't go through to either of these accounts (is such a block is possible?)

Does anyone know of any other way to access my emails from my work Outlook account on my Treo? I don't need real-time access, just wanted to be able to receive them when I'm not at my desk or on my PC at home.
    Yes, we use One Bridge from iAnywhere systems. Works great. I have mine scheduled to deliver every 10 minutes. Although not as fast as Blackberry connect, which will be available for POS Treos shortly, it does the job. Speed isn't a concern of mine.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Delta. It looks like that's a company-wide solution. I am just looking for something for myself that will get me my emails while I am away. IT seems very anti-Treo so they won't help me on this at all.

If I use Verizon Wireless Sync, Is there anyway to sync my work Outlook emails without OWA?
    My company is not supporting wireless e-mail yet, so I have a workaround, to enable my coworkers to get in touch with me on the road: I have a filter set up in Outlook that forwards any high-priority e-mail to my gmail account. It's not push or BBC, but it seems to work.
  5.    #5  
    Kreth--that's what I was trying to do by setting up a "Rule" to forward my mail to my Yahoo account. However, none of the mails were making to that account. I think they have some sort of block to disallow mail being sent automatically to web-based email programs.

Also, I can't install Wireless Sync on my computer, as I need permission from the administrator (which I won't get.)
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I'm sorry to say it, Deerege, but I think you're SOL for now unless Wirelss Sync can do it. Yes, it is entirely possible for your company to block auto-forwarding in Exchange (either all auto-forwarding or only to specific domains or addresses). And yes, OneBridge is an enterprise-wide solution, at least the version that would do you any good. I have it at my current job, and although I wouldn't say it "works great," it does work well enough to get the job done.

I don't know about Wireless Sync, but at my last job I managed to use Sprint BizCon to work around these limitations. To do that, I had to have local admin rights on my PC and leave it up and running 24/7, but no OWA was required. Not sure if Wireless Sync works the same way, but I'd guess it's somewhat similar.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by deerege
    Also, I can't install Wireless Sync on my computer, as I need permission from the administrator (which I won't get.)
    Few IT groups at large companies are going to give permission to use Wireless Sync. Most of us don't ask and do all of the things to minimize security risks using WS. Since you already asked for permission, you now can't use your company computer. It is probably just as good that you don't install WS on a company laptop that you also use while traveling anyway.

Do you have a home computer which can be left connected via your DSL or cable modem? All you need is a redirector - something to run PC Monitor, VPN to your company network, and access Exchange. I use a very old laptop (with broken hinges) as my redirector.

I run Zonealarm & Norton AV to secure it sufficiently. I also run LogmeIn so I can ensure it is up and working 24X7. If the VPN terminates unexpectedly, I'll notice that no mail is being delivered. I then jump on Logmein from my handheld or on my company laptop and get things running again. Sometimes I reboot the redirector using Logmein.

I don't suggest you share your plans with your IT department or you may get a "no" and you'll be unable to do this. Just do it and take all of the precautions you should to ensure your redirector is secure. If you are asked, you can tell them what you've done.

ETA: I have WS running but I actually don't use it anymore on my Treo since I prefer SEVEN
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Beryl. I will see if I can make your suggestion work.
    If you are dedicated laptop computer that you connect with you can use something like Sprint Business Connections. It worked great for me except for me, except I use a laptop for my work computer....can't run BC with the laptop in the car with me.
    My company is completely Blackberry, using a Blackberry enterprise server. I switched to a Treo 700 from my blackberry and am using Wireless Sync. I have it running on one of the computers at my desk and it syncronizes my email, contacts, and calendar just like blackberry does.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdavetime
    My company is completely Blackberry, using a Blackberry enterprise server. I switched to a Treo 700 from my blackberry and am using Wireless Sync. I have it running on one of the computers at my desk and it syncronizes my email, contacts, and calendar just like blackberry does.
    My only problem is that I can't install Wireless Sync on my work computer because I do not have install privileges. Anyone know a way around this?