1.    #1  
    I just got my 700w on Sat (switched from Cingular) and have had a few issues that I have not been able to find an answer to here in the forums:

1) Auto Keyguard is on and it does what it is supposed to do...most of the time. I have taken my 700w out of my jacket pocket 3 times now and have had IE connected using 1x or EV depending upon where I was at. I didn't put the phone "to sleep" with IE open and shouldn't all the buttons be locked out with the keyguard on? How is my 700w opening IE and connecting? Is there a way to permenantly disable the 1x/EVDO connection since I will never use it?

2) When adding a contact's birthday or anniversary, is there a way to have it populate the calendar so I can actually see these events on the calendar without having to re-enter them into calendar itself?

3) Reception is not what I was expecting. I checked the strength at I am at -82 to -84 but the call is broken up and choppy. This is with Home selected. What does Auto A and Auto B do for me?

Other than these issues I do love the 700w. WM5 is much better than our iPaqs we were using. I do like carrying only one device vs. two.

Thanks
    1. If you have push mail (e.g. Wirelesssync) active, the device will retain a EVDO or 1X connection. To avoid this, turn off any push or scheduled email or any other app that periodically accesses data. You might want to do the Axim Fix also but I don't know if that will help this specific issue (it is a good thing to do anyway ) .

2. If you put in a date in the birthday field in a contact, it should update your Outlook calendar and it will also show up as a special event with other apps (e.g. PocketBreeze) on your device.

3. Can't help you there. I have great reception set on "Home".
    For 2. Actually, I have found that for a contact's birthday to show up on the calendar you must sync the device with your PC after entering the birth date. The syncing action (Outlook on PC) will actually make the transfer of the birthday to the calendar and then will update the Calendar on the device.
  4.    #4  
    1) I do not use any of this and have everything I can turn off, turned off. I did not buy this for internet use. The only thing left on is the phone itself. I guess my point is with the keyguard on and all programs that would want to access the net turned off, how/why is this happening?

2) Seems that it would make sense if you enter data into your contact list on the Treo itself that it should at least populate the calendar on the Treo itself. Seems kinda silly to have to sync it to my PC for it to show up in the calendar. But then again it is M$. Along those lines, it also seems kinda stupid that WM5 cannot sync with Entourage without a 3rd party software, since they are both M$ products. You would think M$ would design all of it's software to interface across the board (better way for absolute world domination! ).

3) I just spent an hour driving around town and walking around my house and property with my 700w, my wife's 700w, my brother's Moto E815, and my mom's Moto V325. All are with Verizon. I also had my Nokia 6280 from Cingular. Both of the 700ws signal strength is consistently less than half of the others. When they are full (5 bars) we have 2. When they have 2, we are dead - no service. My wife and I are going on a business trip for 6 days and will be travelling thru all of IN, northern KY, southwest MI, and southern Ontario (up to Toronto). I just hate the idea that I am going to have to carry both my 700w and my 6280 with just to make sure I am able to be reached. I will report back on Wed what my findings where during this trip. This is just not good at all. If this doesn't change, we're going back to Cingular with all 8 of our lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpaca Bill
    1) I do not use any of this and have everything I can turn off, turned off. I did not buy this for internet use. The only thing left on is the phone itself. I guess my point is with the keyguard on and all programs that would want to access the net turned off, how/why is this happening?

2) Seems that it would make sense if you enter data into your contact list on the Treo itself that it should at least populate the calendar on the Treo itself. Seems kinda silly to have to sync it to my PC for it to show up in the calendar. But then again it is M$. Along those lines, it also seems kinda stupid that WM5 cannot sync with Entourage without a 3rd party software, since they are both M$ products. You would think M$ would design all of it's software to interface across the board (better way for absolute world domination! ).

3) I just spent an hour driving around town and walking around my house and property with my 700w, my wife's 700w, my brother's Moto E815, and my mom's Moto V325. All are with Verizon. I also had my Nokia 6280 from Cingular. Both of the 700ws signal strength is consistently less than half of the others. When they are full (5 bars) we have 2. When they have 2, we are dead - no service. My wife and I are going on a business trip for 6 days and will be travelling thru all of IN, northern KY, southwest MI, and southern Ontario (up to Toronto). I just hate the idea that I am going to have to carry both my 700w and my 6280 with just to make sure I am able to be reached. I will report back on Wed what my findings where during this trip. This is just not good at all. If this doesn't change, we're going back to Cingular with all 8 of our lines.

Can I buy your 700's when you switch back to Cingular?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    my network setting is set to Automatic B.....this is per advice from Data Support at Verizon....p.s. I am on an America's Choice Calling plan.

Also, I would switch to Automatic B.

Then do a *228, option 1.

Then do a *228, Option 2 to update your roaming list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpaca Bill
    Don't know. You do have something turned on. I'm guessing you didn't even try the Axim fix. You can always have data turned off of this phone by VZW so you'll never access it. I've had that done with my mother's Treo 650.

Based on your other comments, you won't be happy with the Treo 700w. Thankfully, can can return to Cingular within that 15 day trial period and be happy again.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Don't know. You do have something turned on. I'm guessing you didn't even try the Axim fix. You can always have data turned off of this phone by VZW so you'll never access it. I've had that done with my mother's Treo 650.

Based on your other comments, you won't be happy with the Treo 700w. Thankfully, can can return to Cingular within that 15 day trial period and be happy again.
    Nope nothing is on or connected (except the phone verifed by checking settings - memory - running programs list) when I activate keyguard but when I pull it out of my pocket, IE is open and connected but the keyguard is still in place. I have to unlock the keyguard just to disconnect IE and then shut it down (via the running programs list NOT the ok button). I've even deleted all keyboard shortcuts to any program accessing the net so in order for accidental key presses to turn on IE, it would be next to impossible. I even removed net programs from the start menu. I have not even run ActiveSync (on the 700w or PC yet) but I did the Axim Fix just to make you happy. So to me it seems there is something buggy that is bypassing the keyguard and turning IE on while in my chest coat pocket.

My other comments meaning lousy reception even though other Verizon phones are getting good if not great reception...then yes I will not be happy with the 700w (or any other phone with crappy RF for that matter). Why when a call comes in with 3 bars showing but when I hit answer, it immediately drops to 1 bar? The biggest reason I switched to Verizon was since my brother (E815) and most if not all his friends always have a good if not great signal in areas that my Cingular phone did not (at least in our area). My property borders the IN Tollroad and the tower with both Cingular and Verizon antennae on it is just about 1 mile straight across the Tollroad. So for ANY phone (on these two systems) to get bad reception in this area is inexcusable.

The contact/calendar thing has nothing to do with Verizon or Palm but M$ and thier inconsistency of programming. But this is something that I could live with, it just seems silly to me (just like a lot of other "features" M$ develops).

I really want the 700w to work for us. I really like the form factor and the other features it has but it has to work as a phone also...I already have a PPC (iPaq). I guess my other option is to try the XV6700 or go back to Cingular and their 8125.
    Last edited by Alpaca Bill; 03/20/2006 at 06:48 PM.