Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Odd... especially given that ActiveSync has been working just fine for me. Yea this new version has a few quirks but show me a new piece of commercial software anymore that doesn't (FWIW ActiveSync 4.1 was released specifically for WM5)??

Personally I think the 700w has the potential to make a decent corporate replacement for CrackBerries... Palm simply needs to learn from their mistakes and put MORE MEMORY in it. Oh and yea I'm also in IT... Been doing this for more than 20 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe
    And would you seriously deploy hundreds of these devices to users in your enviroment if you were an IT person? I am and I won't.
    Just 35 of em - we're not that big.

And for what it's worth we've not experienced your synching problem - but our folks are able to multi-task ... without skipping their phones across the parking lot.
    ....and I'm not interested in seeing this EVERY SINGLE DAY: I wait 5-10 minutes for ActiveSync to tell me this every day now for a week. No relief in sight. No help from ActiveSync Troubleshooter. No synch log that I can look over (unless I'm missing it somewhere). Nada. Crapola. No sync for you!

I'm trying to do everything in my power to avoid a hard reset but I'm looking at my fourth hard reset since January. FOURTH. Never had it so bad with Palm.
    We share this complaint. I've had to do 3 hard resets to resolve this problem which first effects USB AS and later IR/BT also. A firmware update is needed to resolve this one. I've not had it so bad with any device -- Palm or MS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martimus
    Ahhhhhhhhhh Jack... I'm talking about gaining root level access (aka Hacking) while you're talking viruses. Not exactly apples versus oranges, don't ya think?
    Well I am trying to cover both with minimal typing ....only MS Office apps get Concept viruses cause MS wanted to build in "auto open / auto build" functionality which takes the decision out of people's hands....IE and OL introduced that auto open e-mail attachment ... er .... "feature" and now they closed it down cause it was stupid to begin with.

It's just thier approach to everything tho they say they changing this via SP2 and Vista... but old approach was let's provide relatively useless features to "wow" our customers ... who cares if it compromises security...."wow look at that I didn't have to click on "open" to open that attached *.exe file ... ermmm ..... now why is my CPU at 97 % activity ?"
    That's swell, Kupe.

....and I'm not interested in seeing this EVERY SINGLE DAY: I wait 5-10 minutes for ActiveSync to tell me this every day now for a week. No relief in sight. No help from ActiveSync Troubleshooter. No synch log that I can look over (unless I'm missing it somewhere). Nada. Crapola. No sync for you!

I'm trying to do everything in my power to avoid a hard reset but I'm looking at my fourth hard reset since January. FOURTH. Never had it so bad with Palm.

Does skipping my 700w across a parking lot count as a multitask? Because I know I can do that.

And would you seriously deploy hundreds of these devices to users in your enviroment if you were an IT person? I am and I won't.
    I know your pain. I have had the exact same problem scenario with my treo 700 using active sync via USB to sync with outlook 2003 (not via exchange server which I hear may work more reliably). Typically after a hard reset I get a week or two of fairly good/quick syncs, then they start running slow for a while until on that fateful day the sync fails to complete and you get the less than useful error message you noted. Thus far the only solution I have found is the drastic repeat hard reset.

On another issue, I am the guy who wrote the letter to Verizon about this issue earlier this month (posted here last weekend). I actually got a call today from someone who says they work in Dennis Strigl's office. She indicated that they were aware people were having "issues" with activesync and that they were sending my complaint to some engineer or something like that to look at. She told me that they would call me as soon as they knew something. For what it's worth, she didn't for one second try to suggest this is an isolated issue - it seems clear that company management knows the phone's got room for improvement - and for what it's worth, I'm also pretty sure they understand that the people who are buying this kind of device aren't high school kids looking for a backup for their ipods (not that there's anything wrong with that). Rather, if this forum is any guide, most of the 700 buyers are people who run companies or work in IT - people who make decisions about the purchase of lots of phones for employees, etc. (in other words, the kind of customers they want to keep)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234