Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am a POS user, one of the main reasons being what you describe above but the problems with Activesync are by no means limited to the 700w. I'd venture to say that "ActiveStink" is the number one problem with every WM5 user no matter what hardware they using. If that's your beef, you oughta be writing to Microsoft and not Verizon. It's not Dell's fault you gotta run AV, ad-ware, spybot, firewals, etc. You don't want malware worries, you use a Mac or Linux. You don't want ActiveSync issues, use of phone that doesn't use it.
    Actually Jack its been proven that Mac OS X isn't much more secure than Windoze. There was recently an online contest held to get root level access to an OS X box accessible on the Internet. The winner cracked the box in less than 2 hours. When interviewed the winner said he could have done it in less. One of the major reasons why all this malware is being created for Windoze boxes is because its the pre-eminent desktop operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by brvheart
    And another thing....you guys are freaking hilarious...so easy to get all wound up and talking trash to other people on an internet chat board.
    Whats more hilarious is that you're doing quite a bit of the trash talking dude. And to quote forum rules to the rest of us is hypocrasy at its finest!!

But to give ya the benefit of the doubt I'm gonna say that I think most of your challenges likely stem from a lack of knowledge or experience with WM5. To give you a little background on my 700w, it gets hard reset exactly ZERO times per week. It gets soft reset exactly ONCE per week. Why? Because I swap batteries every monday morning.

I have five third party applications loaded and running on my Treo and use activesync quite often throughout the day. Matter of fact my 700w sits on a Palm cradle at my desk during the day when I'm not in meetings or out in the field. My point? The Treo 700w isn't anything close to being a piece of shyte (as you call it). For some of us it works quite well. For those who like to push the envelope on their PDA's it may not be quite as reliable. For those unfamiliar with WM (or those who try to make WM behave like Palm OS) its likely not going to be as cooperative as they would like. I suspect there are lots of other groupings one could include here but I won't bore you with all those details...

Bottom line... your blanket statement that the 700w is "the biggest POS ever put out" isn't correct or appropriate in this forum or in the context used. Now I'm sure you'll take exception to some or all of what I wrote. Unfortunately this is my opinion... and I'm standing behind it.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    This thread has been very entertaining…. so thank you all for the laughs

That was a well written letter and I suspect that it will get a response and hopefully an update out sooner rather than later.

I do have to say that my device (which never ever gets connected to desktop activesync, Exchange Activesync only) is very reliable. I have had it since the first day it came out and I think it has only screwed up once or twice.

Both I believe to be because of a lack of memory.

I almost never soft reset and only hard reset when I want to start fresh or an app dosnt uninstall correctly.

I have a few of our sales people using it for basic functions (phone/email and attachments/contacts/calendar) who are by no means technical in any way and to my surprise they actually like it over the BlackBerry.

None of them ever soft or hard reset....or even know how.

Much more training is involved though (which equals more of a cost to our company) as it is not as easy to use as a BB but does sooo much more and in a better way….and it just looks cooler (as one of them put it).
    For what it's worth, I am not some guy using an alias to get a fresh start at attacking this phone. But I also don't feel much of a need to prove it either (nor do I know how). I also am not an IT pro - I am a doctor in Raleigh and have never posted to this or any other tech forum, but have been so disturbed by this whole thing that I just couldn't reisist.

Anyway, also on the subject of things I don't feel motivated to prove (at least here) is the fact that I have the conversations taped (three of them to be exact). They are on my voicemail at my office - and if I was there and knew how to get them on the computer I might actually do it - But I'm not there and I don't know how. On the other hand my assistant is transcribing them and if I do get a response from them I have already made arrangements to have the voicemails copied on tape and sent with the transcript to anyone who it might actually make a difference with. I really wasn't trying to "catch them" at anything either - The last lady I talked to knew for sure that I was taping and she went off worse than anybody. I agree that's hard to fathom, but that's how it is.

Actually, my main reason for posting the letter was to put forth the idea that maybe more people need to move past support and let decision makers in company know what's up. I know they didn't write ActiveSync, but my money is going to Verizon and if they want to keep getting it they need to fix the phone - something that I'm sure can be done if they motivated to do so.
    Count me on brvhearts side. This thing is a POS.

From my point of view:

I'm perfectly fine with the whole learning curve thing but anyone who went from true one-handed operation of the 600 to "let's take out the frickin' stick every five minutes" on the 700w is going to find the device more cumbersome. Period.

Anyone who, like me, finds ActiveSync to be probably the most user-unfriendly piece of software on the planet (hey, at least HotSync had a readily available log file when synch failed... still can't find any similar troubleshooting tools for ActiveSync) is going to call it a POS.

Anyone who, like me, has hard reset the thing four times in three months, reinstalling whatever software and reconfiguring email accounts and copying over favorites and tweaking all the application settings and going through the "welcome to Treo 700w" wizard and, etc. etc..... is going to want to skip the thing across the company parking lot. Period.

Multitasking? That's swell, but how about when I click the 'x' (or OK, depends on the app, I guess) in the upper right-hand corner, that the f*&%ing application CLOSES? How about that? What a novel idea! But noooo. I have to hold down the OK key on the Treo until the list of open applications appears. Here I can use the 5-way controller to select an application, then click down to close it but once I do that, I can no longer use the 5-way to select another application to close..... out comes the stick. Wow. That's some great quality control they must've done before rushing this POS to market.

Pocket Excel: try to numlock your keypad and enter a figure... say, 55.40 into a cell. Well you enter the '5' no problem, but after that the keyboard reverts back to alpha. Now I have to numlock a second time to complete the remaining digits. Did ANYONE test this? It's Excel, people... Users might want to numlock the keypad to enter numbers, y'know?

Pocket IE. They managed to find a worse way to organize Favorites than Blazer. Navigation with websites is asinine. The down key on the 5-way nav chooses the next link so you have to key through as many links that are on the page until you get to the bottom and then it (finally) pages down. Here's an idea: push down on 5-way nav goes to next page... push right on 5-way nav goes to next link on page. Wow. Who thought of that? Oh, Blazer. Right. But no multitasking and EVDO, so everything they do sucks now.

Do you like a device that turns on intermittently when you tell it to? Do you like doing a soft reset EVERY DAY and nasty hang times waiting for applications to open or close. That's fun. That's where brvheart is coming from. It's a big step backward.

And what is the big effin' deal about multitask? It's one teeny-weeny screen you're looking at. How much stuff do you need to have going on behind it?

I'm not an anti-Microsoft geek who hates Gates and Ballmer and thinks all their software is garbage and they are the evil overlords and blah blah blah. It's just that I have no patience anymore for this device and I wish that everyone who reads this could avoid the pain described above. Simply not worth the price of admission.

Going back to a 650 next week. I'm all done with Windows Mobile devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe
    Count me on brvhearts side.
    Would that be the side of irrational rants about inanimate objects peppered with poorly disguised profanity and blatant admissions of ignorance about WM5.0? Ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe
    And what is the big effin' deal about multitask? It's one teeny-weeny screen you're looking at. How much stuff do you need to have going on behind it?
    Perhaps that's why it's called multi-task and not multi-screen. You ever listen to music on your phone? You ever use GPS on your phone? You ever look up a number/address on your phone? You ever make a phone call on your phone? Do you really feel like you should only be allowed to do one of those actions at a time? Personally, I routinely have all 4 up and running (and somethimes others too like looking up an address on the web) - and I'm really not interested in shutting one down to use the next, over-and-over again.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    To JoeyJoeJoe: I understand your frustration. It is similar to what I felt a couple of years ago when I bought my first WM device. The stylus thing almost made me crazy. Why do the OS and app developers insist that I need to pull out the stylus for simple, single operations? With WM5 and the soft keys the situation has improved considerably and when the app developers catch up to the no-stylus ideas, I think that things will get a lot better. I now use HandyLauncher and HandySwitcher from my Start Menu and I almost never use the stylus. The 700W is by far the best WM5 device out there now for stylus-free use.

I don't think that the 700 is a POS but rather a device in transition - unless you have a hardware problem. Even if you are not sure of that go get a replacement and find out. Rather I think you need to be very careful selecting third party apps. Many new WM5 upgraded apps aren't trouble free and older WM2/3 apps can cause a lot of grief, sometimes hidden, until the device resets. In my case I have a set that has proven to be very reliable on WM5 devices. I backup each morning at 2AM using Sprite BU for WM5 and I never install a strange app (even WM5 app) without backing up first. Sprite BU will restore to the exact same state when you backed up and you won't need to spend hours re-installing, entering reg codes. Now if I ever do have a hard reset, I am sure I can get back to the last backup without any hassle.

Your complaints concerning the user interface like with PIE or Excell are absolutely right. Makes me wonder does any MS developer ever use or test what they put out. But early Treo devices also suffered from the same types of problems and even with my 650 I found I needed apps for low volume, notifications, connecting and disconnecting to data services, etc. And sometimes those apps caused me a lot of grief with random soft and hard resets. I hope that a lot of these problems will get sorted out with future upgrades.

On multitasking I like it a lot but I think that my complaint is that there is not enough Program Memory on the 700 to take real advantage of it. That was a bad decision by somebody who didn't know or care about what a memory hog WM5 is. So we are stuck with watching to make sure that Program Memory doesn't fill up. We had a similar situation with the early 650s with dbCache causing random soft resets.

Now to ActiveSync. I agree completely. As implemented on WM5 devices it is a piece of crap - no other word for it. Badly implemented, not tested, and doesn't work properly with USB. No matter what you do, sooner or later it will get you. But there are ways around that for the near term. I have a $7/month hosted Exchange account with 1and1.com and use it to wirelessly ActiveSync my Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks. Works flawlessly. And so I refuse to connect any of my WM5 devices to the PC via USB and they all have been very reliable.

Finally, to me the prospect for Palm OS doesn't appear too bright right now so I plan to stay with WM5 devices until something better and more reliable and perhaps more importantly, lives up to my expectations, comes along. Right now I don't know what that will be.

Frank
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Well I'm glad none of my posts weren't used in a drive-by quoting!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    It happens... Sometimes good men die in the quest for the ultimate post.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat

huh
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Actually on both Mac and Linux (mostly Mac) systems, the infrastructure is quite a bit different, making it extremely difficult to actually write viruses/spyware for these systems. There are actually only a handfull of viruses for Mac and most of them require the user to actually manually run the program. Then it's just about convincing someone to run it. There are reasons beyond the market share for the lack of viruses/spyware. So your statement is actually false. No need to flame back though, I wasn't poking at you, I was just correcting/informing you.
    http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA06-062A.html

Vulnerability Note VU#999708
    Apple Safari automatically executes arbitrary shell commands or code
    Overview
    Apple Safari fails to properly determine file safety, allowing a remote unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary commands or code.

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/980084

Vulnerability Note VU#980084
    Apple Mail buffer overflow vulnerability
    Overview
    Apple Mail contains a buffer overflow that may allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system.

While you are busy correcting and informing, you should quit telling blatant untruths.

If you are windows hater, then sobeit, you really should try to be more accurate in the future.

I actually have to remediate these risks in a corporate environment.

FWIW, these alerts were both issued this month.
    Last edited by VZWuser; 03/19/2006 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychdoc
    March 13, 2006

Verizon Wireless
    777 Big Timber Road
    Elgin, Illinois 60123
    Attention: Customer Service

Subject: Treo 700/ActiveSync

To Whom It May Concern:

In January of this year, shortly after it was introduced by your company, I purchased a Treo 700 from a local Verizon Wireless outlet in Raleigh, North Carolina. I had followed the press releases related to this mobile device for some time, and reasonably expected that this device would be capable of fulfilling the functions which had been (and continue to be) heavily advertised by your company. So impressed was I with the potential of this device that I terminated my long-standing service with Alltel and discontinued use of an earlier Pocket PC device (and older version of ActiveSync) which had suited my needs well for a number of years.
    Want VXW's attention? File a complaint with the BBB. Someone who can solve problems will call you.
    Actually i can give you another way to definately get their attention.

File a formal complaint with the FCC.

Here is where you can file such a complaint.

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475.cfm

I had an I600 and had a MOU plan from my original contract.

Since my plan included unlimted off peak calling i could transfer all the data i wanted on off peak hours and this allowed me to up my calling plan and get my email etc without having to add data.

My i600 was replaced under warranty by lockline and i had to reactivate.

The next month my bill included $50 in data charges and i called and disputed and all the CSR's kept telling me the same thing. MOU is no longer available and since I did not pick a data plan it was pay as you go. (fortunately I activated the new phone 2/3 of the way through the billing cycle or it would have been much higher.)

I filed a FCC complaint and received an email and a phone call within 24 hours from a group called executive accounts and they removed the charges and put my MOU plan back in place so i would close the complaint.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martimus
    Whats more hilarious is that you're doing quite a bit of the trash talking dude. And to quote forum rules to the rest of us is hypocrasy at its finest!!

But to give ya the benefit of the doubt I'm gonna say that I think most of your challenges likely stem from a lack of knowledge or experience with WM5. To give you a little background on my 700w, it gets hard reset exactly ZERO times per week. It gets soft reset exactly ONCE per week. Why? Because I swap batteries every monday morning.

I have five third party applications loaded and running on my Treo and use activesync quite often throughout the day. Matter of fact my 700w sits on a Palm cradle at my desk during the day when I'm not in meetings or out in the field. My point? The Treo 700w isn't anything close to being a piece of shyte (as you call it). For some of us it works quite well. For those who like to push the envelope on their PDA's it may not be quite as reliable. For those unfamiliar with WM (or those who try to make WM behave like Palm OS) its likely not going to be as cooperative as they would like. I suspect there are lots of other groupings one could include here but I won't bore you with all those details...

Bottom line... your blanket statement that the 700w is "the biggest POS ever put out" isn't correct or appropriate in this forum or in the context used. Now I'm sure you'll take exception to some or all of what I wrote. Unfortunately this is my opinion... and I'm standing behind it.
    I see where you are coming from when you say I am being hypocritical, but I do not agree...this is why:

The only way I can think of to explain this is as follows:

If someone breaks into your home, has a weapon and you life is in Jepordy, you can take action and defend you self and it is self defense, (Yes, I know this is not a "life threatening thing - Just throw that out there before some reads it and takes it out of context), but on the other hand, you can not just walk up an attack someone and have it be ok...

this is the same thing, I went on the offensive after reading a boat load of hilarious attacks at my expense, though it does not bother me what the opinions of those that made those comments, I did defend myself (not sure why since I found some humor in them and a couple of valid points), but I did none the less go on the defensive, I do not find that to be hypocritical...if you do, that is ok you are entitled to your opinion. The only one that I would say that I might be guilty of would be make a meaningful post...I have seen other threads from people venting and they were ok, so I made one, biggie, wont happen again.
    Actually this is another of those poorly written news articles that never gets corrected. After this was reported it was revealed that the cracker already had an account on the machine and used that to crack it. He did not defeat the security on the box, he only exploited a hole he already had.

Actually Jack its been proven that Mac OS X isn't much more secure than Windoze. There was recently an online contest held to get root level access to an OS X box accessible on the Internet. The winner cracked the box in less than 2 hours. When interviewed the winner said he could have done it in less. One of the major reasons why all this malware is being created for Windoze boxes is because its the pre-eminent desktop operating system.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Nobody is going to write an exploit for an operating system with 18% market share. Mac and linux are safe until they have enough users for anybody to care about them. Just like Palm OS.
    Hooey, the only place that is accepted as truth is in Redmond's marketing department. Not even the techs will claim this. The reason there are thousands of malware for MS is because of the way it was designed. Any geek worth his / her salt would love to claim the crown of being the one to exploit the Mac, or any of these alternatives and now we have a Mac virus. And let's not forget that MS itself has been known to run Linux at the server level in its own campus. Why hadn't anyone ever written a virus that attacked Lotus 1-2-3 or Word perfecrt when they had close to 100% market share.....simply because the software engineers chose security over fluff when writing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcgirt
    This is so much crap!!! The fault lies primarily in who sells the product - not who made the product.
    Then go down to the store you bought it in if you believe that. My phone came with ZAP2016, I would't venture to ask Cingular how to make the game work or whta options it has. ActiveSync is a desktop application written and sold by MS....it's problems are well known and not confined to the Treo.
    Again, the only one who has accepted this as proof is Redmond's marketing department. OnceUponaNoob stated it very well. MS's desire to include hidden API's for its programs it's "grabby' properties trying to autolaunch thereir programs is the cause of most virys infections. Anyone who knows programs and anyone who writes AV will be the first to tell you it's far easier to infect a Windowes machine than Linux or Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Again, the only one who has accepted this as proof is Redmond's marketing department. OnceUponaNoob stated it very well. MS's desire to include hidden API's for its programs it's "grabby' properties trying to autolaunch thereir programs is the cause of most virys infections. Anyone who knows programs and anyone who writes AV will be the first to tell you it's far easier to infect a Windowes machine than Linux or Mac
    Ahhhhhhhhhh Jack... I'm talking about gaining root level access (aka Hacking) while you're talking viruses. Not exactly apples versus oranges, don't ya think?

Bottom line is the only truly hack-proof operating system is the one on the computer powered down, unplugged, and locked up in a vault. In the real world most any OS has the potential of being hacked. And even the marketing departments at Apple and Micro$haft won't admit that publically.
    Last edited by Martimus; 03/20/2006 at 09:14 PM.
    That's swell, Kupe.

....and I'm not interested in seeing this EVERY SINGLE DAY:
    Synchronization cannot be completed successfully. Reconnect your device and try again. If the problem persists, see the Microsoft ActiveSync Troubleshooter in Microsoft Active Sync Help on your deskto computer.
    I wait 5-10 minutes for ActiveSync to tell me this every day now for a week. No relief in sight. No help from ActiveSync Troubleshooter. No synch log that I can look over (unless I'm missing it somewhere). Nada. Crapola. No sync for you!

I'm trying to do everything in my power to avoid a hard reset but I'm looking at my fourth hard reset since January. FOURTH. Never had it so bad with Palm.

Does skipping my 700w across a parking lot count as a multitask? Because I know I can do that.

And would you seriously deploy hundreds of these devices to users in your enviroment if you were an IT person? I am and I won't.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast