Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    First of all, yes I am crazy, officially :-) I love my Mac just as much as my pocket PC. So, the next question is, since I cannot install ROM updates because I cannot use activesync, can I take it to verizon and have them do the ROM updates? (I have a backup question if you guys say no :-)
    Is there a ROM update out?
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Is there a ROM update out?
    Not that I'm aware of, but I'm thinking he is asking what to do if/when that does happen.

I have both Macs and PC's and have always done my PPC and Palm upgrades on PC's so I'm not sure of the answer.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I'm not sure if WinXP running on Virtual PC would work for you. Just a suggestion.
    If they release it as a cab file you can bluetooth it to the Treo and run it from there. If it is an exe you need to see if the exe has to be run from a PC or if you can execute it on the WM5 device. Also look at file juicer as a way to extract cabs from exe's. I have not had to connect my 6700 to a PC for a long time. I just BT everything from one of my macs.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    If they release it as a cab file you can bluetooth it to the Treo and run it from there. If it is an exe you need to see if the exe has to be run from a PC or if you can execute it on the WM5 device. Also look at file juicer as a way to extract cabs from exe's. I have not had to connect my 6700 to a PC for a long time. I just BT everything from one of my macs.
    cool, I have been using filejuicer as well, just didn't know whether ROM updates are usually .exe or cab files?
    You're lucky gharrod, my G5 iMac and my Treo are currently not on speaking terms. It seems they do not want to pair up.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Yeah, markspace and pocketmac are working on syncing solutions for WM05, but for right now, nothin but BTin my contacts and progs over. Once they setup the sync software would you be able to install the ROM (when they are available) that way?

Is sprite the best backup solution? I figure since I can't sync at all, backing up my stuff is MUCHO important.

Oh, and can you delete cab files after the program is installed? Sounds dumb but want to make sure first :-)
    setting up BT with my macs was pretty easy and very reliable. concerning back ups I have not found a good back up program for WM5 so far and no do not delete cab files unless you want to stop using the program (I could be wrong on this one but pretty sure they are needed)
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    No, CAB files are essentially just "installers" and may safely be deleted once the application is installed.
    ROM update should be able to be run from the SD card. Unzip the files, write them to the SD card, pop it in and start the ROM update.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    concerning back ups I have not found a good back up program for WM5 so far
    so there are really no good backup programs for this device? I read a thread where everyone is going for sprite, is this no longer true?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    another thing, for some reason, even though I have it set to get my email every half hour, it appears to not be checking it? (can't figure it out for the life of me) and is there any way to make the default view of the calendar month instead of week?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by ero2
    another thing, for some reason, even though I have it set to get my email every half hour, it appears to not be checking it? (can't figure it out for the life of me)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help!
    What I have noticed is that every time I get a text message and I view it, if I leave it on the text message screen it will no longer check my email every five min. or how ever long you set it to check. But if after I am done with the text message and go back to the my email page and then x out then it will work. Don't ask me why that is but that is just what has worked for me.
    Good Luck

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    TreoAK: Apparently, that is a known issue... Check out this support page on Palm's site:

http://palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=41503

"When the SMS or MMS screen is open in Messaging, automatic retrieval of email messages will be disabled. This happens any time the Messaging application is on the SMS or MMS screen: even when the Messaging window is closed."
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    so if I am using SPB pocket plus and press the X which, because I am using spb pocket plus, actually closes a program, then I should still be getting my email, correct?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I am fairly sure that, as long as the email account (and not SMS/MMS) is selected, automatic retrieval will happen whether Messaging is minimized or closed.

I don't have hard data to prove it, but I'm pretty sure it has worked for me. I usually leave Messaging running in the background, but I'm sure low memory situations have forced it to close. I still usually get my mail.