Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hey guys new to the scene and this is my first personal pocket pc/phone.
    I have a question about the memory although i have only had the phone since the 4th and have been pretty much lurking around here since before then to read up on the phone and make sure i made the right purchase.

I really love this phone!

Now on to my question. Does the treo essentially have 2 memory chips in it?
    Why is the storage memory and the ram fixed?
    At my job I set up symbol pocket pc based scanners all the time and can slide the memory back and forth to allocate more or less for either or.
    Is this a limitation in the OS?

Is there any way to create virtual ram with some 3rd party software?
    If you have a 1,2 or 4 gb SD card you could allocate some to be used as virtual ram?

Lastly is the biggest gripe about this phone memory related only?
    thanks!
    AKay
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Yes, there is two separate memory chips, the RAM and the ROM. Previously the ROM was used to store the OS, and some PPCs allowed extra data to be stored on it. The RAM was used for storing programs on the Main Memory and running them. With WM5 they reconfigured the way memory is used. The programs are stored on the extra ROM that was previously only available on some PPCs as Flash Storage, and they are ran on the RAM. You can't slide the bar because the two types of memory are now on the two different chips instead of just the one that was used before.

Creating Virtual RAM of some sort is REALLY what needs to be done to make the 700w a perfect phone. Actually having more than 32MB in the first place would have been, but a virtual RAM partitioned off the ROM could fix that error. I don't know if it is possible though.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thanks that helps clarify things for me alot!!
    ppctechs are working on a 64mb ram update for the treo700w. So maybe it will be avalable soon. I will pay for it, anyone else?

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    They haven't stopped trying yet, but as of right now they can't do it. I read a post somewhere (can't remember where exactly, some forum) that they are looking for a dead 700w to take apart and look around, but are having problems with the upgrade. I'm not holding my breath.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    yeah i read about problems they were running into with the treo700w i hope they could get it done as well.
    I would definately send mine in to get upgraded.
    AKay
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I don't know why they didn't make the phone with plentiful RAM in the first place- say 512M on board???
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    wowserz@ 512 lol
    AKay
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    They haven't stopped trying yet, but as of right now they can't do it. I read a post somewhere (can't remember where exactly, some forum) that they are looking for a dead 700w to take apart and look around, but are having problems with the upgrade. I'm not holding my breath.
    One would think that with the profit they could make off of this upgrade it would be worth buying a retail one and gutting it.
    I sent an email to ask about the progress of the update, they said that one treo's screen didnt work after the upgrade, but after they took the second one apart the said they might not have plugged the cable up all the way. The second treo worked fine after the upgrade but it only reconizes 32mb still. I think they are looking for a way to get it to reconize the upgrade right now. There is also a rumor that ther is a patch in the works for this. I got my fingers crossed.

I have also heard rumors from a VZW engineer who works on our account that something in the rom update addresses this issue.

I wish I was more knowledgeable about the hardware configuration and could ask him some informed questions. He probably couldn't tell me but it would be fun watching him dance avoiding the questions.

I got the impression that there was some sort of backend mojo. Maybe they can make some base items run in storage or something like that.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    hmm has anyone posted the question to Palm themselves?
    Maybe it was something verizon has done to protect the phone from being unlocked or to prevent hacking of the phone.
    AKay
    can you ask your friend if he can confirm a date/month on the MSFP
    I currently have a Treo 650, but I am looking into the 700w. Is there a way to run programs from the SD card, like palm?
    The answer is yes. You just install to the card instead of to "the device".

(It is ironic that you asked if can "run programs... like palm". )
    Yes, you have the option to load and run programs from the SD card. Presently I have about 3 'larger' programs running from my SD card. One is Adobe Reader (which is huge) and a few others that I can't remember just now. In theory they would run a little slower off the card, but I can't really say I have noticed the difference.

Tom
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    hey you guys said that ppctechs are looking for a damaged one to gut out.
    Why havent they put this on thier front page or anything? Im sure someone out there has lost thiers, replaced it through insurance, only to find it a month later somewhere. Since they cant reactivate the old one just send it to PPC techs.
    Im sure this has happened a few times already to people with Treos.

On another note i read that the treo has 128mb ram 60mb of which is user accessible.

Someone mentioned that the treo has 2 chips so is this 2 64mb chips? one is completely dedicated to the OS and RAM and the other to storage or something?
    why is 4mb of the other 64mb not available?
    How big is the OS?
    If PPC tech is successful in upgrading the Ram, would that essentially add 64mb more of pure Ram to this device? If so that would be so freaking sweet! I just might have to "misplace" my treo and get another. lol.
    AKay
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    The ROM, or Flash Memory, is 128MB. 60MB of that is accessible to store info and programs on after the space the OS and system files take. The RAM is 32MB, and it runs all the programs. About 15MB of that is free before you add any programs or run anything.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    ahhhhhhh thanks for clearing that up.