Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Well i finally bought one after watching the discussions here. I do love the internet access...As ive never had a non gsm phone before, this question may be obvious but thought id ask. i did search the forum and found one question where someone has asked about an addon card to a native cdma phone to receive a gsm signal. Well my question is a little more basic. Since this palm treo doesnt have anywhere to place a SIm card or equivalent, if i do go to another part of the world where cdma is offered (such as india where reliance has a large cdma service), how do i 'unlock' my phone and access their network for a pay per use service. With my gsm phone, i could just have my phone unlocked with my provider, slipped a new sim locally and i was all set. Verizon does not (atleast presently) have a roaming feature with the indian cdma provider and even if they did, theyd charge an arm and a leg, so id not want them.

I have two weeks to retrun this phone and im starting to develop a liking for it. I hope i can find a way around this process. ofcourse i could carry my old phone but then it would defeat the purpose of a pda smartphone combo. Also i understand that this phone wont work on the sprint network if i choose to move next year after my contrac ends. By the way, on a different note, verizon wouldnt give me international calling capacity( i mean calling an international number from the us) for 3 months...they claim their company policy prevents them from offering it for three months!

thanks,
    asda
    Sorry but you can't do that. There are a very few dual CDMA/GSM phones out there but the Treo 700w isn't one. You can only use this phone on the Verizon network.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    thanks ...but my question was as to how i could go about accessing a cdma service in a different country? Since there isnt a SIM card to exchange how do u hook into someone else's cdma network?

I understand in the usa, verizon and sprint are the only two and even among them, it appears u cant switch from verizon to sprint easily!
    I do not believe this phone is locked at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by asda
    thanks ...but my question was as to how i could go about accessing a cdma service in a different country? Since there isnt a SIM card to exchange how do u hook into someone else's cdma network?

I understand in the usa, verizon and sprint are the only two and even among them, it appears u cant switch from verizon to sprint easily!
    The simple answer is that, on CDMA phones, you just can't switch easily. US CDMA phones use an Electronic Serial Number (ESN) that has to be provisioned within the carrier's database. That's what's locking the phones to that carrier.

As for switching between Verizon and Sprint, that's policy from each carrier -- they refuse to provision an ESN that wasn't supplied by them, just to earn the revenue on the phone sales.

That's why most international travellers tend to go GSM!