1.    #1  
    I am somewhat confused by all these different CAB files. I know that they have a distinct advantage in that they can be loaded directly into a PCC without the need of first going through a desktop.

However, why so many differnt types? For example, below is a list of CAB file extentions for a program I recently downloaded. What do these extentions mean and which one would I most likely use for the Treo 700W?

PPC.ARM
    PPC.ARMV4
    PPC.MIPS
    PPC.SH3
    PPC.WCE420X86

Thanks,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau
    I am somewhat confused by all these different CAB files. I know that they have a distinct advantage in that they can be loaded directly into a PCC without the need of first going through a desktop.

However, why so many differnt types? For example, below is a list of CAB file extentions for a program I recently downloaded. What do these extentions mean and which one would I most likely use for the Treo 700W?

PPC.ARM
    PPC.ARMV4
    PPC.MIPS
    PPC.SH3
    PPC.WCE420X86

Thanks,
    Tom
    Back in the original days of the PPC, there was one OS, but three different CPU's. ARM was used by Compaq. SH3 in the HP Jornadas, and Casio had the MIPS chip in its E-1xx and 500 series.

When PPC 20002 came about, it set the ARM standard. All versions now run an ARM compliant chip.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yes, you will always use the arm version. I'm not sure what the armv4 means. I've never seen it. Check the readme files that usually accompany them.
    Insertion got this one right on the head. however once we got one processing architecture, we went south on the operating systems...
    It turned into various flavors of Windows CE, Pocket PC 2000/2002 Windows Mobile 2003/2003se/v5
    Programs dont always play well when designed for one and run on another
    You should ALWAYS use an ARM exectuable... the armv4 is usually for ppc2002
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys. I have been wondering about this stuff for quite a while now and have never seen an explanation of the different CAB files anywhere. Now I know. I sure am grateful for "forums" like this. I think I would be quite lost if I was "on my own".

Thanks again,
    Tom