1.    #1  
    Hi--

I'm trying to decide if I need the Treo charging cradel with AC adaptor (+$10.). Will Treo charge through USB if PC goes into sleep mode or, does USB charge work as long as PC is plugged in? Thanks! Mitch
    I could be wrong but I don't think it will charge from the USB at all.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. Here are the 2 options (TC)

Smartphone Experts Cradle for Treo 700w (A353)
    The Smartphone Experts Cradle allows you to easily synchronize and charge (through USB) your Treo 700w. Simply dock your Treo with the cradle - no more cable mess!
    $19.95

Smartphone Experts Charging Cradle for Treo 700w (A354)
    If you are looking for a slim and convenient desk cradle that both charges (through wall outlet or USB) and syncs your Treo 700w, look no further than the Smartphone Experts Charging Cradle.
    $29.95
    Those cables might, but the standard Palm cable doesn't.

It's been my experience with an older third party USB cable and a Treo 600 that it would charge from USB when the computer was awake but would stop charging if the computer went to sleep. I don't see any reason the Treo 700w would be different.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. That's what I figured but wanted to confirm. Makes it worth spending the xtra $10.

Txs again
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchelllll
    Hi--

I'm trying to decide if I need the Treo charging cradel with AC adaptor (+$10.). Will Treo charge through USB if PC goes into sleep mode or, does USB charge work as long as PC is plugged in? Thanks! Mitch
    It also depends on your PC. On my old pc, when the PC is off, there is no power to the USB. On my other PC the USB stays powered whether the PC is on or not.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i purchased a $15 charge-n-sync cable for CompUSA and i can charge the phone from the PC and via a USB wall charger without issue. as others have indicated, the pc has to be awake to charge (or in my case it has to be awake)...
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    The 700w comes with a charge n sync cable. The power cable plugs into the back of the sync cable and the PC does not have to be awake to charge the phone.
    ??? The cable that can with mine seems to be the standard Palm cable. It charges if the charger is plugged into the cable, but it doesn't charge if it is only plugged into USB without the charger. That is the original poster was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by VZWuser
    The 700w comes with a charge n sync cable. The power cable plugs into the back of the sync cable and the PC does not have to be awake to charge the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    ??? The cable that can with mine seems to be the standard Palm cable. It charges if the charger is plugged into the cable, but it doesn't charge if it is only plugged into USB without the charger. That is the original poster was asking.
    I misunderstood. I did not think the standard USB cable charged at all so I thought he was referring to that cable with the power supply plugged in.
    Why the stock cable doesn't charge is a mystery to me! On the 650 just look for the lightning bolt on the battery on top right screen to see if charging
    The stock cable from VZW doesn't charge from USB. You need to plug in the AC adapter into the bottom of the Sync cable. It's a pain. I got a sync and charge wind-up cable from Sedio. It works great. Although sometimes I wish I could turn of the sync part and just let it charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch
    Why the stock cable doesn't charge is a mystery to me!
    No mystery. Do you make more money off of customers selling just a USB connector cable or selling that USB cable and a required custom charger?
    So can someone recommend a third party cable that sinks, pdanets, and charges without a cradle or ac plug just like I purchased for my 600? Someone above mentioned Sedio. Are there other options?
    Thanks.
    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../5-19--424.htm

The link above is what I use when I am out of the office. It syncs and charges. Charging is not *nearly* as fast as the AC charger, but it does the job. When I am in the office I use the Palm dock. It charges from AC and is very fast.

Eric
    I've modified many usb cables, including the std. Kyocera 7135 usb cable, to allow charging from USB without the AC adapter. Got sick of carrying everything. I would have done the same with the std 700 cable from Palm, but I bought a ZipKord cable at Laptop Lane in O'Hare, which charges over USB and came with a car outlet to USB adapter. Can't find it on their website http://www.zipkord.com

Looks a lot like the one posted above by ecostello.