Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    dcortez, do you use VZW Wireless Sync?
    No, I removed it because it would do nothing but hang everytime I used it.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    my 700 is very stable. it has never crashed or froze. i make sure i close running programs by keeping the "ok" button pressed and closing programs. i dont mind doing this i think its fun managing the win5 os. i didnt load any apps onto it. overall all, very satisfied with stability. i have more confidence in the wm5 os than my windows xp.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwsica
    OK, I was exaggerating a little bit I think XP SP2 is a pretty good OS but to be honest I still get the occassional BSOD and although I'm pretty computer savvy it's not exactly easy to determine what causes these crashes.
    I haven't seen a BSOD since the very early days of XP when I was desperately trying to force a parallel all-in-one printer driver into the machine, knowing full well that XP only supported USB all-in-ones from here on out.

What are you doing to your machine? I'm constantly installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling betas and CTPs of stuff like Visual Studio, SQL Server, and One Care Live, and couldn't force a BSOD if I tried (unless I tried that parallel all-in-one driver again).
    I'm back!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I haven't seen a BSOD since the very early days of XP when I was desperately trying to force a parallel all-in-one printer driver into the machine, knowing full well that XP only supported USB all-in-ones from here on out.

What are you doing to your machine? I'm constantly installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling betas and CTPs of stuff like Visual Studio, SQL Server, and One Care Live, and couldn't force a BSOD if I tried (unless I tried that parallel all-in-one driver again).
    Well, I'm not completely sure but I suspect my recent BSOD's were related to Logitech drivers for my MX1000 mouse that I have since replaced (with a MS mouse ) and uninstalled last week. No BSOD yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwsica
    Well, I'm not completely sure but I suspect my recent BSOD's were related to Logitech drivers for my MX1000 mouse that I have since replaced (with a MS mouse ) and uninstalled last week. No BSOD yet.
    That would be strange behavior, I personally haven't heard of a Logitech mouse causing a BSOD. I'm using a MX500 on my work XP SP2 machine right now. And I used to use a MX500 on my home XP SP2 machine for a while until I replaced it with a MS Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 about 2 months ago.

Before you replaced the MX1000, did you check the USB connector to make sure nothing was bent or broken?
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    That would be strange behavior, I personally haven't heard of a Logitech mouse causing a BSOD.
    Very common issue tied to the lhidusb.sys file. Call Logitech help desk and they will immediately know what you are talking about. I'm ona first nname basis with some of their techs .

I have had to deal with this issue on maybe a dozen machines over last year. Most times I have been able t clear it by removing logitech software. Sometimes tho, after certain WU's ahve been performed after installing the Logitech drivers / software this doesn't work. Three times outta the 12, I had to do OS repairs / reinstalls.

Aslo very common with Saitek Gaming Keyboard and other game pads. As WU tries to patch windows holes, it often steps on drivers written prepatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Very common issue tied to the lhidusb.sys file. Call Logitech help desk and they will immediately know what you are talking about. I'm ona first nname basis with some of their techs .

I have had to deal with this issue on maybe a dozen machines over last year. Most times I have been able t clear it by removing logitech software. Sometimes tho, after certain WU's ahve been performed after installing the Logitech drivers / software this doesn't work. Three times outta the 12, I had to do OS repairs / reinstalls.

Aslo very common with Saitek Gaming Keyboard and other game pads. As WU tries to patch windows holes, it often steps on drivers written prepatch.
    Interesting. I've patched over Logitech keyboards, mice, and webcams and never had a problem with corrupted files.
    I'm back!
    A web search on lhidusb.sys will bring up a host of forum messages on the topic with varying problems.

The problem with patching is just this.....if you remove the logitech software, (there aren't really drivers as the USB drivers are part of windows....BT ones are different), you can make the problem go away. However, if you are experiencing the problem and hop a patch will fix it, some patches prevent the proper removel of the software and your only option id OS reinstall. Of course if you don't ahve the problem, patched ain't gonna mean anythng.

The problem is partially traceable to Logitech's use of backweb which many spyware, adware, AV programs report as a bad thing and rightly so. If these programs do a sloppy job of removing backweb, this can also cause issues.

The problem is more likely to occur on a tricked out PC with RAID, Firewire, 8 USB's, gigabit LAN had all that other stuff on Deluxe type MoBos.....because the generic Dell clunker doesn't have any of this stuff, the likelihood of a conflict is greatly reduced.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12