Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just got my Treo on Friday. I do not currently have insurance, but I am starting to think that maybe insurance might be a good thing.

Do many of you have insurance on the phone? What does it cover?

Rich
    Insurance is only worth it if you feel you don't have the funds to replace the phone out-of-pocket in case of loss, theft, or damage (like a bad drop). Remember, if you do have to replace the phone yourself, you'll pay full retail ($619 at Verizon) unless you can eBay it or something similar.
    I have a 650, not a 700, however the ins is well worth it, lose and see what happens, otherwise you are out a 700, these way you covered! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    On the news, they say if you phone has a retail value of 450.00 or more, you should consider the insurance.

Not too mention the fact that if you scratch up your screen or drop it, or do something stupid, it's a quick toss in the river and a phone call: "uh, yea I lost my phone."
    Just remember that the insurance thru Verizon has a $50 deductible.
    I didn't know about that, russmd. Thanks for the tip. I also have the insurance, if we're keeping tally. $50 to replace a $500 device seems fair to me.
  7.    #7  
    How much is the insurance per month?

If you drop it in the sink or scratch the screen it is not covered but if you lose it the phone is covered?

Why dont people "lose" the phones all the time & put them on ebay, or something (moral implications aside)?
    I've never carried insurance on a phone, but I got it for my Treo 700. I think they're much more fragile than the average phone. I pay $5 amonth...
    I also pay 5 dollars a month.

The insurance doesn't cover accidental damage....I had a verizon phone one time that I had spilled some soda on it in a card seat, it sat in it all day, and they argued with me for hrs telling me that they couldn't replace it because of what happen, eventually I did get it replaced, but It would have been easier to pay the 50.00 and report it lost.

To answer your question about ebay, because whoever bought it, would then try to register is and it would show stolen, or lost then they would trace it back that you sold it or whatever...I'm sure they would frown apon that.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I agree with Ted Turner. Rich unless you're "rich" get the insurance. Small price to pay in case something happens. I got mine on Friday too.
    You can't just "lose" the phone and then ebay it...once reported lost or stolen Verizon will permantly deactivate the phone's ESN so no one else can activate it. I would definitely get the insurance though.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Remember something else about this "insurance" if you make 2 claims in a year they cancel your insurance and you cannot get it insured again.
    Yea I forgot about the 2 claims deal...but still that leaves you with an "uh oh" claim and a legit, I lost my phone claim.

And with the Treo that is over 1000 dollar value for 100 bucks in co pay.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Oh, I wasn't disagreeing about insurance, I'm all for it. I was just pointing out you only get 2 claims. I have insurance on mine. I also have a 2.5 year old and that makes it worthwhile for me.
    Are you saying you have insurance on your kid too, or that you have insurance on the Treo because of your kid?
    I am surprised that I never lost it...I have fibromyalgia and it does effect your memory,....I lose my keys all of the time, but not my phone,. However...I am sure I will lose it now after saying this. LOL, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrain
    Are you saying you have insurance on your kid too, or that you have insurance on the Treo because of your kid?
    That was pretty funny, although I do have insurance on both
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Yes, Insurance is good. I have 2 layers of protection. 1) Lockline from Sprint in case it is lost, damaged, or what have you and 2) CompUSA relpacement warranty so when the 650 breaks after it becomes obsolete I can replace it with the same phone or something newer of equal or lesser value.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyonegh

Not too mention the fact that if you scratch up your screen or drop it, or do something stupid, it's a quick toss in the river and a phone call: "uh, yea I lost my phone."
    LOL. There is way to skin the cat.
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjsrik
    Remember something else about this "insurance" if you make 2 claims in a year they cancel your insurance and you cannot get it insured again.
    You can get insured again, I am living proof of that. I think they barred me for like 3 years or something like that. Nonetheless I am insured again, insured again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast