1.    #1  
    I am looking to buy a 700W with a Verizon "voice plan". I am not interested in paying their fees for "data". I want to be able to add an SDIO card in order to surf wi-fi. I have a wi-fi connection at home and at the office. I should be able to slide the SDIO card in, and get online to surf.

Verizon is telling me (in Pittsburgh, PA), that if I buy their Treo 700W that they disable the wi-fi...so my card won't work. They are forcing me to use thier Internet access..and pay for it?

This doesn't sound right...and I can't believe they are getting away with this?

Anyone using Verizon with a 700W, in Pittsburgh area, and able to use third party wi-fi?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    You can use Wifi without their plan, but you'll pay an arm and a leg bc it's also through their EV-DO network. I understand the wifi function is NOT built into the phone, at least not on mine, and I'd have to buy a wifi card to surf, but then, you'll have to pay connection charges. I pay the data connection fees and surf away. Either way you are goingto pay something/month, whether it's going to be a flat monthly fee or per minute exorbitant fees is up to you.
    ^^^^ WHAT!?!?!?

WiFi does work and DOES NOT connect to the EV-DO network. Holy jeebus!!!!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have a wi-fi card for my treo 700w. I got the Socket E300 card which works well enough. There is also the Palm SDIO Wi-fi card which works (and already has drivers installed in the phone). If you do want to go the wi-fi and not EVDO route, I'd highly recommend calling Verizon and telling them to disable "National Access" so that you phone doesn't automatically use EVDO when it wants to find a signal. This can happen if the wi-fi signal goes out for a second, or if you leave IE running and it tries to reload a page. I had $22 in data charges last month because of this, so I disabled national access and now I'm all wi-fi, baby.

Good luck.
    I dont think that is acturate.. If it is not connecting through the network they dont have a way to charge. turn the phone function off. if you can still connect to wi-fi its free The samsung i730 does not charge you to use the wi-fi so i figure the 700w shouldnt either.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    It connects to the network by dialing #777 when it needs to, i.e. if wi-fi goes out of range and you are trying to access data, or if IE tries to reload a page, or if you are syncing Avantgo, or whatever data access you are doing. If it can't get a wi-fi signal, it will automatically default to dialing #777 and trying to make a data connection. If you don't have a data plan, you will soon be paying through the nose and will probably not realize it, since there is no graphical indication this is happening. You have to click the wi-fi icon at the top of the screen to see that you are indeed connected to the data network instead of wi-fi.

Of course, you can turn the phone function off when you are on wi-fi, but then you can't get phone calls! Wi-fi is cool because, unlike EVDO, you can talk on the phone AND use wi-fi at the same time. Oh yeah, and it's also free

So be careful.

-=Brazil=-
    I wonder if that's where some of the false perceptions are coming from that WiFi connects to the network and you subsequently are charged for data?? Although...when that scenario occurs, you do see a big ol' bubble that shows it's dialing out to the network... I dunno...TGIF!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    If you have your wi-fi card plugged in, at least for me, you don't see that it is connecting to the network. You have to tap the little wi-fi tower icon that appears at the top of the screen to see whether it is actually connected to the wi-fi network (and at what strength), or if it has dialed into EVDO in the background. Really annoying.

-=Brazil=-
  9.    #9  
    OK guys...I need a little better answer.

If I buy the 700W from Verizon. I will only pay for "voice plan". I am buying a Palm SDIO Wi-Fi card.

Can I surf the Internet for "Free" using my HOME DSL network? (ie. Can Verizon do anything to prevent me from using the free wi-fi card.)

I am not going to pay for ANY Data plans. Only voice plans.

Please don't guess, I need to hear from someone who is using a TREO 700W with a SDIO card or sled with a Verizon voice plan ONLY.

Thanks for your help.
    The definitive answer is this.
    They don't disable you using a WiFi card.
    You will not be charged if you do.
    You do not have to take their data plan.

tech
    I can speak from specific experience that VZW does NOT disable the ability to use WiFi. I own a Socket E300 WiFi card that I install in my 700w whenever I choose to use WiFi. When the WiFi card is installed and operating the phone communicates over the WiFi and NOT EVDO.

In my opinion the VZW employees that are telling you otherwise are either LYING to you or just simply don't know...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yup. Pop the Wi-fi in and you'll be fine.
    Just make sure you stay in range of the wi-fi so it doesn't go and connect to EVDO when it can't find Wi-fi.

Martimus - try the following: Surf the net using wi-fi, but then get out of range of your wi-fi (or turn the router off or something). I guarantee the phone will start using ev-do and you won't even know it's happening! Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by brazilmma
    Surf the net using wi-fi, but then get out of range of your wi-fi (or turn the router off or something). I guarantee the phone will start using ev-do and you won't even know it's happening! Enjoy!
    Not if you disable the VZW login.
    Yup. Pop the Wi-fi in and you'll be fine.
    Just make sure you stay in range of the wi-fi so it doesn't go and connect to EVDO when it can't find Wi-fi.

Martimus - try the following: Surf the net using wi-fi, but then get out of range of your wi-fi (or turn the router off or something). I guarantee the phone will start using ev-do and you won't even know it's happening! Enjoy!
    Brazil... Maybe I'm mistaken but I do believe thats what its supposed to do. When WiFi drops the connection the phone looks for another way to provide the user with connectivity to the 'net.

Have you considered that you can mitigate this behavior by going into the dial connection and changing the username? This way EVDO cannot automatically log in without your knowledge.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yes, it's kind of what it is supposed to do. However, I REALLY think there should be a prompt that says "Dial National Access?" so that you know you are being charged. This happened enough that I ended up with $22 in data charges on my bill, so I diabled National Access so it would never happen again.

You can delete the natioanl access "modem" in settings, but it seems to come back after a soft reset.
    However, I REALLY think there should be a prompt that says "Dial National Access?" so that you know you are being charged.
    And imagine what would happen when someone configured their Treo for push or pull e-mail; or news or weather updates; or a stock ticker. The phone would be frequently prompting to ask permission to connect to EVDO.

You'd need a system smart enough to know to enable the prompt for some applications... and disable it for others. And how does it know all of the potential applications that it might see? It might need a database behind it that could be configured to hold any applications that might trigger a dial. Your idea for a simple prompt has now become a somewhat bigger challenge to implement.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I'd at least like the OPTION to tell the phone to prompt me every time. People who are using push email, etc, can disable the option. Simple. Elegant.
    An option would be nice but I doubt M$ would re-design the app that way. From my experience they don't do simple... just occasionally simple-minded!
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for your help on this. I don't know if the Verizon employee is lying or just doesn't know...or maybe they are being "SALES TRAINED" to not inform customers they have an option other than the $45 a month plans. I spoke with two reps from the same store on different days and got the same answer. No wi-fi unless you use Verizon's data plan. One of the reps even acted like he didn't know, went in the back to talk with tech support, and then informed me they disable the wi-fi if you use a third party.

I am going to go out and buy the 700W and the Palm Wi-Fi SDIO card.

Thanks for your input everyone !

** I'll keep an eye on what the phone does if I get out of range of my home wireless connection.