1.    #1  
    Saw this over at PDALive.com

"Earthcomber, a free mobile navigation service, is now available to the owners of Windows Mobile powered devices.

To the naked eye, Earthcomber first appears like any other type of navigation software – except that its GPS-enabled maps for all territories in the U.S. are conspicuously missing a price tag. All maps, “Look Lists” and “Community” features are entirely free, providing users with tremendous new travel tools at no cost.

However, the power of Earthcomber is its unique exploration ability. Unlike search-box style, web-dependent mobile search programs, Earthcomber’s trademark and patent-pending service lets people set up and automate the equivalent of “play lists,” then searches constantly for vast and diverse personal interests as the user moves around the local landscape or distant destinations.

Users can specify exact types of restaurants, shops, ATMs, hotels, landmarks and plot them on a map – as well as join or create groups that let them share or discover spots like where movies were shot, where crimes occurred, sites of public art or places to spot wildlife or enjoy dog parks, pictures, picnics, or freebies.

The new Windows Mobile version of Earthcomber includes a point-to-point direction feature that requires a phone or Internet connection. Earthcomber makes it easy to connect from a mobile device via the "Wi-Fi hotspot location" data set included with every Earthcomber map.

Even for basic PDAs that do not have any Wi-Fi connection, cell service or GPS capability, Earthcomber can still provide “combing” or sweeps of a person’s current surroundings via its touch-screen maps calibrated to figure out distances. For instance, a person can simply plant their “X” by tapping the screen on the intersection where they are, or by looking up an address. Then Earthcomber reports any and all “hits,” just as if a GPS signal spotted the location on the map.
    Saw this over at PDA Live

“While Google can give you a zip-code full of what look like Chinese restaurants, it can’t tell you where the Kung Pao Chicken is excellent,” said Jim Brady, Earthcomber CEO. “There is a huge difference between having search-box access to millions of points-of-interest, and having a program that looks through millions of POIs – constantly - for the 40 or 50 exact things you actually care about.”

The new Windows Mobile version of Earthcomber includes maps of every region in the United States. The patent-pending technology maintains individual privacy while constantly combing the area each person travels for anything from an ATM to a waterfall, cup of coffee, museum, bistro, school, golf course, bar or even local events.

Earthcomber supports devices based on Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 5.0."

http://www.earthcomber.com/splash/index.html

Tested and Recommended:
    Palm Treo 700w (Verizon)
    HP iPAQ hx2700, iPAQ hx2795, iPAQ hx2400, iPAQ hx2495, iPAQ rx3100, iPAQ rz1715
    Samsung SCH-i730
    Verizon XV6600, XV6700
    Dell Axim X51v
    Sprint PPC6700
    Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    To bad it does not let you calibrate your own maps. Living i Europe US maps aren't really useful to me....
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
  4.    #4  
    Imagine it's more useful with the city guides

http://brighthand.com/article/Discov...or_Earthcomber
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Obviously, Earthcomber would be better with GPS-

But since I don't have a GPS card on my 700w,
    Has anyone tried this out without GPS and find it to be useful?...or does it lose a lot of functionality- thx
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    wow...this thing looks pretty loaded with features (and free???). I downloaded it and will try it out tomorrow.
    Hmmm....I did try it but I couldn't get it to install on my handheld. It keeps giving me the error that my device is not connected via activesync. It is clearly connected via activesync so I'm not sure what to do. I keep pressing 'retry' and it won't work. Oh well...I'll spend more time on it later.
  8.    #8  
    Well there are a lotta "problem with activesync" threads on the boards here. Suggest send vendor an e-mail describing problem.
    I believe it to be more of a bug with EarthComber not recognizing my ActiveSync is connected. I haven't had a problem with ActiveSync connecting to my devices before.
  10.    #10  
    ActiveSync does appear to be the bugaboo for most 700w difficulties.
    Maybe so for the 700w users...I haven't had any problems with my Cingular 8125. I unistalled the EarthComber software from the laptop and did another install and it seemed to work the 2nd time around. Not sure if it was EarthComber or ActiveSync that caused the problem in the first place.