Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just wondering who brought a treo 700w and regret that the even brought it and why
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I did not buy it and I do not regret not buying it.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    The best phone i have ever had... No reqrets...
    Bought it - returned it after the 2 week trial period. I wouldn't say "i regret it" - It's all about individual preference. The only thing it had going for me was EVDO. While its a cool feature is not as useful to me as accessing my appointments easily with 2day, instant email w/ chattwe, intuitive messaging with verichat, threaded sms messaging, quick lookups with directory assistant or Genius, all on a higher resolution screen. So I guess I am a palm guy (for now)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think if I had a chance to buy it, I would feel as makrotonik felt, all it really brings me EVDO. I have used Treos for a long time, all the way back to the 180 and even when I had the Visor Prism with the Visor Phone. There are just things about Palm that make peoples lives easy. I love how easy it is to use, I have my Treo customized perfectly. I have thought about getting a 700w to play with but I couldn't give up my Chatter, or the ease of Verichat to IM my friends. Once you go threaded SMS you never go back to the old style. I wouldn't want to try and read ebooks on a lower res screen, its amazing how bold and clear the txt is on the 650, I had the 6515 for Cingular and have used the 240x240 display and tried to read books on. The 700w is a great step for palm, they are now able to offer more to other customers by having WM. I know people in particular that their business runs on Windows and everything has to be Windows or else. I will never bash the 700w cause its a great device but I think and from what I read most Palm OS fans are Palm OS fans for life, and I think we all hold our breath waiting for the new version of Palm OS and or new Treo with EVDO. My hat is off to Palm for bringing out the 700w it was a great move, but they better hurry and get me my 700p!! Soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    ...all it really brings me EVDO
    I have seen this posted many times here. EDVO is not a feature that was added to the phone on par with how many clicks it takes to open your calendar, or how your sms get grouped together.

This is the start of something huge, and its only the beginning. This is the 3G that we have been promised for years and years. This means we have broadband with us wherever we go. This means we have access to our data, all of our data, all of the time, and data does not just mean text. We have our mp3s, our DVDs, the content of our Tivo machines, always with us, all the time. And without carrying our laptop.

This means we can use skype or our vonage softphones to talk to our friends and family around the world for free, withouth using up our silly packaged minutes. This means the end of silly packaged minutes! This means that without carrying any other devices or equipment with me, that i can hear my Sirius Satellite Radio, while im in work, always.
    I have one and I really like it. It's a little buggy and took about a week to really get used to but I'm really glad I bought it. I've been a Palm guy for years and I find WM5 far superior. There may be a few menus here and there that require an extra button push, but it's much more powerful and the multitasking is KEY. The fact that the 650 didn't have EVDO kept me from buying it...that is just a dealbreaker. Even if you LOVED Mac's would you buy one if you couldn't get a broadband connection on it?

My complaints with the 700w are the memory (not a huge problem), the screen res (not a huge problem, I think it's fine, I just wish it were at least the same as the 650), and Activesync, which is just flat out awful. I do all my syncing over the air and never use Activesync b/c it's such a nightmare. If you're not going to get the unlimited data plan with this phone this would be a big problem for you. I could care less about threaded SMS b/c I don't use it. One text at a time is a fine pace for me and I have no desire to IM on my phone. I plan to start using Skype soon and am looking forward to it.

Once the A2DP update comes out and we get push email and stereo BT this phone will be absolutely amazing. Now, let's just hope that happens before 2007...
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i don't regret getting mine, i love the form factor, but...i hate that it's not functioning as i anticipated.

the main problem i'm having is spontaneous resets...2 of which have wiped out all my contacts, email, etc. i've had 2 resets per week over the past 4 weeks. in addition, i'm experiencing the "will-not-wakeup-from-suspend" issue. basically, if the phone goes into sleep/suspend mode, pushing the red end-call button does not revive it. i have to soft-reset the device to wake it up. the only 3rd party apps installed are PHM Registry Editor and Verizon Wireless Sync. Verizon has offered to send me a refurbished device, but i declined... i'm currently working to trade for the XV6700. if it weren't for these issues, i'd likely keep the Treo

i also have a Qtek 9100 - with the MS push-email feature and the stereo bluetooth ROM - and it's been working without issue. i've probably flashed the Qtek 10 times using all the various Wizard ROMS and it keeps working like a champ. hopefully, the XV6700 will work the same.

i'll keep my eye on the Treo and its future incarnations... i'm sure MS/Verizon/Palm will address the current issues.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    This is the start of something huge, and its only the beginning.
    Exactly: it's the start, the rough cut, the beta. This thread is about the 700w specifically, and the 700w doesn't provide all of that now, so therefore it's a tradeoff. That tradeoff isn't worth it for some people (myself included).

Future iterations will eventually incorporate enough of the features you mention to make it worth the tradeoff, and later iterations will find a way to merge power and usability, thereby doing away with the need for a tradeoff. Until then, I'm not willing to double my monthly bill and sacrifice usability for faster data speeds and hypothetical functionality the 700w doesn't actually provide.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Wireless Sync is close to a virus IMO - I suspect Cortez would have a different opinion if he had not downloaded and used it. I am pretty sure any WM device would react the same way.

I am very happy with my 700w. I use Exchange ActiveSync for my synching but also synch it in my cradle to an enterprise PC. Biggest gripe is the screen rez - not all apps wil run from the backlist of PPC apps. I find a lot of the stuff I want is being rewritten now for 240x240 - I'll try to be patient.
    Future iterations will eventually incorporate enough of the features you mention to make it worth the tradeoff...
    what future features were you talking about? i was listing things i do with my treo NOW, or are available now, you can use skype on your treo now for free phone calls, you can access your home terrabyte mp3 and video collection now (which i do), you can listen to sirius on your treo NOW (which i do), you can use your treo as a broadband modem now, you can log in to any computer anywhere anytime with terminal services now, which i do, you can stream television to your treo now (which i do), you can subscribe to an music on demand service like napster now (which i do) and in effect have a portable jukebox not just with 2 or 4 or 60 gigs of songs, but just like in the commercial, with every song ever written, always, on demand
    Quote Originally Posted by fostermom
    I was just wondering who brought a treo 700w and regret that the even brought it and why
    i brunged my treo 700w ebbywhere i goes and my only regret is that the don't enforce spellcheck on forum posts.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ... you can use skype on your treo now for free phone calls...
    My understanding is that this isn't ready for prime time (literally). Choppiness, incoming call doesn't make it through, etc., especially during peak hours.
    ... you can stream television to your treo now (which i do)...
    You mean MobiTV or VCast? IMHO, it doesn't count if it's not real programming. SlingPlayer is coming, but it ain't here yet.

As for the rest, checking some of your other posts shows you've really maximized your streaming ability. Good stuff - didn't realize all of that was possible. Still not worth the tradeoff for me, though. Reliable Skype and SlingPlayer could change that.

Quote Originally Posted by chewybrain
    i brunged my treo 700w ebbywhere i goes and my only regret is that the don't enforce spellcheck on forum posts.
    ROTFLMAO! Thought the exact same thing when I first read the post. Couldn't quite come up with a snappy comment, though.

OK, I'll climb back over the fence to 650-land and stop hijacking 700w threads now.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    yeah I dunno I haven't used skype... actually I don't talk on the phone... too bad they all but force the voice plan on me, I can understand why considering the threat posed by voip, btw don't worry about sling, look at sharing your tivo content via ftp, that's what I'm interested in, and yeah, so far I just watch the free music videos
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom
    Wireless Sync is close to a virus IMO - I suspect Cortez would have a different opinion if he had not downloaded and used it. ....
    funny you should mention this... Verizon convinced me that downloading the new Wireless Sync app would cure my problems. needless to say, it hasn't. and they've been hearing from me everyday since.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    My understanding is that this isn't ready for prime time (literally). Choppiness, incoming call doesn't make it through, etc., especially during peak hours.
    You mean MobiTV or VCast? IMHO, it doesn't count if it's not real programming. SlingPlayer is coming, but it ain't here yet.
    It's closer than you think. You can use SlimServer right now to stream your mp3 collection. Alternatively, I could be using Avenuu for access to all my PC's files including photo previews, etc. Sling's Mobile software is in beta so there are folks using it and it will be out soon but I could be using Orb right now if that was my setup. I use AudibleAir to access my audiobook collection from anywhere. PDANet let's me use the Treo as a wireless modem for times when I need to. Apps for streaming internet radio as well as XM and Sirius are readily available. RSS readers are available that include podcast support (SmartRSS for one) so I can get all of my news and podcasts on the go (although I could very well stream the latter from home using SlimServer if i wanted to).

It's here right now. I have the phone and I love it. A few warts here and there but the community support is widespread and very good so most questions are being answered. The screen res is odd and makes some apps hard to use, but the popularity of the Treo is changing that. Developers recognize that the 700w is extremely popular and are getting onboard to support 240x240.

Jeff
    I think most 700 users troll the PPC/WM boards rather than Treocentral, so thought I'd throw my vote in for the 700. I went from Treo 180 to 300 to 600 to 650 to 700w. Now, adjusting to WM5 was VERY painful for about a week or two, but I feel it has been well rewarded. WM5 is akin to a real OS, so it's much more capable. I can manage documents and files using folders. The OS doesn't reset just because memory is low (which it did on my 650). Webpages actually load and look the way I would expect them to; on the 650, I was lucky if I got the text and some simple graphics to load before Blazer crashing. Not to mention that the EVDO speed is finally usable. The screen scrolling in IE is very fast which makes browsing webpages tolerable. Email is formatted perfectly (need 3rd party software to do that, as Outlook is dismal). I get both Sirius and XM online using my buddies' accounts. Acrobat PDF files show up the same as they do on a PC. The tradeoffs? Palm skimped on memory, which means yes it can multitask, but programs will shut down in the background if I haven't used them in awhile to free up memory. That means when I go back to the program, it will have to relaunch...not a big deal, it means an extra second to reload. And yes, it's silly that some commonly used functions require hitting the menu button first, but you know what, I have probably lost all of a few seconds in a day because of it, time I've saved because I have been able to do exactly what I want, when I want, without resorting to a PC.
    I am a corporate user and also a gadget freak. My take on the Treo is this:

This is the best multipurpose converged device I have ever used.

I have used a number of handhelds, phones, and converged devices.

I have had a PalmVx, a Palm VII, a HP jornada, A samsung i500, a samsung i600, a samsung i730 and now a Treo 700w.

Let me restate, I am a gadget *****.

I use my device currently with a Itech virtual laser keyboard, a bluetooth mouse, and pocket controller pro.

I have shot how to videos to show end users how to install client software, I have taken videos of a skin of my phone being remote controlled on my desktop PC from my phone while it was being remote controlled.

I have 4 different cases for it and am still waiting for my Vaja.

Yes, the device has it's limitations, they could have made it so much more than it is. But at what price point?

The device fills a niche like all other converged devices.

It is not for the weekend warrior / GPS driving / 45 applications loaded, power user.

But what it does do is allow me to do my mail, watch videos, SMS, play MP3's, surf the web, track appointments and many other things I need to do in my IT world.

I will probably try the next device that comes along in the US beit the Q, or the Universal, or the next "big" thing. But to this date, this is the best marriage of form and functionality, for my world, that I have been able to use.
    Last edited by VZWuser; 03/03/2006 at 03:22 PM.
    holy cow....

how many morons does it take to NOT read the topics and just give their opinion because they are bored....

I can't take it anymore, you guys around here have no concept of how forums work... you make searching on this board for info pointless
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast