1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Just took the plunge and purchased a Treo 700w. I am very much in the exploration mode with this thing and so far I am loving it. I had a couple of questions regarding playing music. First of all, what music format does the mobile Windows Media player recognize? i transefered a bunch of music on to my SD card and it only recognizes four of the tunes (mp3). So can I set it so that it will recoginze other formats? Also, is there better media playing (specifically tunes) software you guys would recommend that might come all tweaked up to recognize multiple music formats?

I think these types of sites are invaluable, especially for products as complex as the 700w. Glad to be part of treo nation! Thanks in advance.
    Look at downloading TCPMP. Its great. I know that WMP doesn't play such iTunes format like AAC and protected AAC. You can however convert your AAC files into MP3 files via iTunes. I have TCPMP and it works well with audio and video files that WMP won't play. For instance, WMP won't play .avi files.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMehoff
    Look at downloading TCPMP. Its great. I know that WMP doesn't play such iTunes format like AAC and protected AAC. You can however convert your AAC files into MP3 files via iTunes. I have TCPMP and it works well with audio and video files that WMP won't play. For instance, WMP won't play .avi files.
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure you can do MP3 to AAC, but not the other way around. The whole Apple-has-us-by-the-short-and-curlies-copyright-protection thing.
    beware that you can not play audio with keys locked. So if you're planning to have 700 in your pocket and listen to the music you'll have to revisit the purchse..
    Quote Originally Posted by keram
    beware that you can not play audio with keys locked. So if you're planning to have 700 in your pocket and listen to the music you'll have to revisit the purchse..
    Not an issue, I do it all the time. I have automatic keyguard enabled but if WMP is active it keeps keyguard disabled as long as it is playing music or video...the screen just gets dim it doesn't go all the way off. plus you don't want keyguard enabled b/c then you can't use the shortcut keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure you can do MP3 to AAC, but not the other way around. The whole Apple-has-us-by-the-short-and-curlies-copyright-protection thing.
    Burn the files to a CD then rip them back to iTunes in MP3 format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Not an issue, I do it all the time. I have automatic keyguard enabled but if WMP is active it keeps keyguard disabled as long as it is playing music or video...the screen just gets dim it doesn't go all the way off. plus you don't want keyguard enabled b/c then you can't use the shortcut keys.
    don't get it, how would I play music having treo in my pocket while skiing or biking? wouldn't this turn screen and keyboard backlight on and drain the battery or accidentaly press the keys to execute a player function. I used to get 8 hours from pockettunes on my 600.
    The other issue is that it seems that WM05 has an API call to turn the screen off but the keyboard backlight STAYS ON, unless current hardware supports battery recharging from the keyboard light I don't see how this will not drain it quickly.